Lord Alan Sugar revives Amstrad brand with new marketing agency led by grandson

Started by crowdrake, March 04, 2024, 06:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowdrake

all they have to do, is to remake the 80s computers, BUT avoid the cheap low quality options. we are all still here who bought there stuff in the 80s, all the games could rerelease. it could be fun, but im sure they will be advised to use light weight cheap stuff by people that just look at speadsheets and dont know what games like elite was.

ArizonaTank

Frankly, this is a bit of a headscratcher for me. Unless the intent was just to leverage the old name to get some publicity...if that is what Sugar is after, he succeeded.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Staggerwing

There's already been a Spectrum ZX reimagining released in recent years, called the Spectrum Next (Amstrad bought up Sinclair and released several Spectrum models themselves in the 80's).
It'll be interesting to see if this particular venture realizes any kind of hardware such as an updated Amstrad CPC464 or if it's just going to be a spam of Tee shirts and memorabilia.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

Any chance you guys can post a link or something to what you're referring to?  I'm not at all familiar with this.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

smittyohio

Maybe I'm misreading it, but it doesn't sound like they have any plans of getting back into the computer business.  It seems like he just wanted the name to stay in the family, whatever business they get into.   But seriously, why?   It's not a name that will resonate with 99.9999% of people.

crowdrake

if they bring back the cpc with minitor id buy , heres hoping. would of loved a spectrum next, but you had to go through a kickstarter and wait a couple of years, if you could buy from a proper retailer they would of made a mint, maybe the sucess of the next is why they bought back amstrad, if they mass produce they would relive the 80s success again, but lose the tape drive Lord suger USB sticks better.

the next was limited, so no big user base to dev for, we are beggin for the good old days, bring back the Magazines too. the game market is saturated and have reached the graphical limit, a lot are looking back, gog.com succedded because it started out selling good old games, now there one of the biggest