Fantasy Grounds officially licensed to sell D&D source material (for their VTT).

Started by Double Deuce, July 13, 2015, 03:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double Deuce

This is kinda old news, been a few months now BUT Fantasy Grounds now offers Officially Licensed D&D Products for their VTT. From the Smiteworks website.

QuoteWe are proud to announce that we are officially licensed to sell D&D (R) source material and content inside of Fantasy Grounds! This is the beginning of a great new partnership between SmiteWorks and Wizards of the Coast that will benefit gamers worldwide.

Please understand that these are NOT .pdf's of the books but the books coded to work with the D&D 5e Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds. You can still play 5e without purchasing the content (prices are the same for the hard copy books) but you would need to manually enter everything.

Bison

I've been looking at Fantasy Grounds.  It seems to be a pretty fantastic way to play the game online with distant buddies.  Of course the downside is everyone needs to have the program or someone needs to fork over a bunch of money for the ultimate package so everyone else can just use the demo version of the program.

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on July 13, 2015, 04:01:35 PM
I've been looking at Fantasy Grounds.  It seems to be a pretty fantastic way to play the game online with distant buddies.  Of course the downside is everyone needs to have the program or someone needs to fork over a bunch of money for the ultimate package so everyone else can just use the demo version of the program.

You volunteering?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Nefaro

Bison

Hell no.  I've got a MtG and potential Fantasy Flights miniatures gaming habit to support.

Double Deuce

I have an ultimate license and the full D&D content (PHB and MM). If anyone wants to connect and check it out and poke around I can set it up so you can connect using the demo. Would just need a time to do it and then I would give you the connection alias. I work nights through the weekend so it would need to be a weekday timed (CST) event, preferably in the AM.

Trying to coordinate any actual game can be difficult since everyone needs to be online at the same time. I had thought about using it for a Gladiator type game on the forums here, using it for the players locations an movement tracking stuff via screenshots. Not sure what RPS system to use, D&D is probably not the best for that. Need something more realistic/gritty but not complex as far as character creation.

Nefaro

Quote from: Double Deuce on July 14, 2015, 01:29:46 AM

Trying to coordinate any actual game can be difficult since everyone needs to be online at the same time. I had thought about using it for a Gladiator type game on the forums here, using it for the players locations an movement tracking stuff via screenshots. Not sure what RPS system to use, D&D is probably not the best for that. Need something more realistic/gritty but not complex as far as character creation.

I have a couple suggestions..

The latest Runequest version has a large freebie Demo PDF with a notable chunk of the rules.  That's one of the more detailed combat systems IIRC, although some of it is optional (like weapon reach modifiers depending on how close such as spear vs sword) and probably not in the free demo PDF.  Runequest always had a bit of a Classical Greco-Roman or Dark Ages bent to it, although it can cover the whole range.

Runequest 6th Essentials freebie:
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/downloads.php

I actually buckled and picked up the massive 6th Edition manual when I saw it on sale recently.  Haven't braved reading it yet.  I had an older version, back in the day, and had fond memories of the combat system.  This latest full version has more in it but the free stuff may be enough for you.

The other one I would recommend is Chivalry & Sorcery.

The full 4th edition is a free PDF set here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/142316/Chivalry--Sorcery-4th-Edition
(and perhaps elsewhere).

It's another impressive old system that features extra focus on combat fatigue and speed IIRC.  Some interesting stuff all-around.  I still have an old 2nd or 3rd edition softback book in ye olde game collection.  Medieval focused background character stuff but the combat is what you're looking for, no?

Since they're free, I'd recommend checking them both out!   O0

Double Deuce

Never played or owned any Chivalry & Sorcery stuff but did play Runequest way back in the day, not sure which version (was on the early-mid 80's). We actually liked RQ but eventually switched to a homebrew of AD&D1e, RoleMaster and Runequest.