Games you want to play but haven't

Started by Dammit Carl!, July 19, 2015, 02:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

^ Dunno. I have the hardback version of the rules here on my shelf. It's published by Margaret Weis Productions.

Bison

I'm not sure I understand the love of Firefly.  It was like a 3 episode TV series...

Steelgrave

War Plan Orange. Been on my hard drive forever, love the concept, hate the time committment.

Bison

Quote from: Steelgrave on July 22, 2015, 10:48:27 AM
War Plan Orange. Been on my hard drive forever, love the concept, hate the time committment.

So how do you get the pieces off of your hard drive to set them up on the table?  I'd think that'd be the greatest barrier to playing the game.  :)

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Bison on July 22, 2015, 10:23:48 AM
I'm not sure I understand the love of Firefly.  It was like a 3 episode TV series...

Blasphemer! There were 14 episodes, plus a feature film, thankyouverymuch...

bbmike

I certainly don't. I tried to watch it back when it first came out. I didn't make it too far. It was a bad western dressed up in space. Complete with Civil War vets and trains!  :idiot2:
I read recently somewhere that Firefly might have been based on Traveller (maybe this discussion). I've been tempted to try it again, viewing it from that prospective.
And while Googling for that link I also discovered that there is a Traveller TV series trying to get launched!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 22, 2015, 09:43:31 AM
^ Dunno. I have the hardback version of the rules here on my shelf. It's published by Margaret Weis Productions.

Yeah, not sure which version that is.  I think that is the newest one that more well-liked.

Some user reviews mentioned that it captured the shows theme a little better than the older one (named Serenity rpg).  I can't confirm this since I've never seen either of them.

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on July 22, 2015, 11:59:25 AM

I certainly don't. I tried to watch it back when it first came out. I didn't make it too far. It was a bad western dressed up in space. Complete with Civil War vets and trains!  :idiot2:
I read recently somewhere that Firefly might have been based on Traveller (maybe this discussion). I've been tempted to try it again, viewing it from that prospective.
And while Googling for that link I also discovered that there is a Traveller TV series trying to get launched!

I watched the movie, Serenity, before ever seeing the series.  The movie is great.  Helped me later get into some of the approximately 9 episodes and get a little wider view of the backstory used in the movie.

Pretty sure the reason people enjoyed it was the somewhat spaghetti western sci-fi theme, and the main characters being a bit Anti-Hero-ish (which isn't done enough!) at times.

Give the movie a watch, if you haven't yet!

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on July 22, 2015, 10:58:58 AM

So how do you get the pieces off of your hard drive to set them up on the table?  I'd think that'd be the greatest barrier to playing the game.  :)

To be fair, there was a naval wargame from Avalanche Press with that name.  :P

bbmike

Quote from: Nefaro on July 22, 2015, 02:12:35 PM
Quote from: bbmike on July 22, 2015, 11:59:25 AM

I watched the movie, Serenity, before ever seeing the series.  The movie is great.  Helped me later get into some of the approximately 9 episodes and get a little wider view of the backstory used in the movie.

Pretty sure the reason people enjoyed it was the somewhat spaghetti western sci-fi theme, and the main characters being a bit Anti-Hero-ish (which isn't done enough!) at times.

Give the movie a watch, if you haven't yet!

I've heard the movie is good. Good idea about watching it first, I might just do that.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

IMO, it's better to watch the Firefly series before the movie Serenity, for reasons that would be apparent to anyone that has seen said movie. It makes more sense that way.

Though I will admit that the movie is totally kick-ass. I love the series too, but if the only way you plebeians are going to be convinced by Firefly's immense awesomeness is to do this back-assward, be my guest and by all means. You shall be assimilated no matter the track you take. :)

bbmike

Hmm, what to do. You know, when I decided to start watching Doctor Who a few years back I actually started with the First Doctor/first episode and watched it from the very beginning...
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Steelgrave

Quote from: Bison on July 22, 2015, 10:58:58 AM

You nailed it! I keep pulling parts out of my PC and so far....no game!!!

MetalDog

Amber Diceless Role Playing.  Who doesn't want to walk through shadow as royalty?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: MetalDog on July 25, 2015, 08:52:30 PM
Amber Diceless Role Playing.  Who doesn't want to walk through shadow as royalty?

FWIW there is a "re-skin" of Amber diceless titled Lords of Gossamer and Shadow by Rite Publishing that is out now.

Due to legal stuff, Amber sits....in amber, you could say, but they wanted to give a similar diceless game to the masses so LoGaS came about.

Written by a fellow who worked on the Amber line previously, the core book is very nice; beautiful illustrations, well written and covering stuff that just makes the ideas spring forth.

Conversely, there is also Lords of Olympus by RPGpundit that is diceless but comes at the Amber-like themes from a Greek mythology angle. 

Ive got both books but have read too little  in them to comment further.