Pendragon Admin

Started by Toonces, April 24, 2012, 01:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

This is the first non computer RPG you guys have played? Seriously!?  :o

I am honestly blown away. From the really good narrative you guys have been putting up, I assumed you were vets. Well done!

One dice buying tip : Always buy a couple of sets. That way you aren't screwed when your main D20 goes cold.

If you're especially vindictive, consider sacrificing one of your dice if it isn't performing to send a message to the others that they had better shape up.

Not that anyone would ever do such a thing, of course...

Toonces

Best post 6 1d20 rolls for the next portion.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

For me: 16,4,19,8,16,19

@AB: As long as you don't count eight years old running around with a plastic beach bucket on my head and a towel tied like a cape, then yep, this be muh fust Rodeo... :D
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Toonces on May 04, 2012, 02:14:19 AM
Best post 6 1d20 rolls for the next portion.

20 (Woot!), 3, 19, 5, 11, 13

Toonces

Soon, we are going to need something that we can depict a miniatures-type battle on.  We can probably get by without it, but I think the game will go smoother with a grid and minis to depict the members in a fight.  If you've read the melee rules, they are quite tactical.

If you guys have any ideas, please let me know.  I haven't done any searching on vassal yet for something appropriate, but I'm sure something is out there; if not Vassal then some other program.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Arctic Blast

Might want to take a look at MapTool, Toonces. http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads#MapTool

If you go to the Tutorials tab on the site, it links to a full Wiki for how to use the program. I have no idea how involved a piece of software it is, though.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Toonces on May 05, 2012, 01:21:14 AM
Soon, we are going to need something that we can depict a miniatures-type battle on.  We can probably get by without it, but I think the game will go smoother with a grid and minis to depict the members in a fight.  If you've read the melee rules, they are quite tactical.

If you guys have any ideas, please let me know.  I haven't done any searching on vassal yet for something appropriate, but I'm sure something is out there; if not Vassal then some other program.

There's Cyberboard. I don't have much experience with it but it's supposed to be a little simpler than VASSAL.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Toonces

Ok, we'll figure something out.  I suppose I could even use an excel spreadsheet if it comes down to it.

Meanwhile I'll try to get at least some of the next turn done today.  It takes a lot longer than I was expecting to do all of this solo- but I'm sure it will get easier as I get more used to the system.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Toonces on May 07, 2012, 01:19:35 PM
Ok, we'll figure something out.  I suppose I could even use an excel spreadsheet if it comes down to it.

Meanwhile I'll try to get at least some of the next turn done today.  It takes a lot longer than I was expecting to do all of this solo- but I'm sure it will get easier as I get more used to the system.

No worries, Toonces. Take your time.

Though I would like to know if I'm about to have my face ripped off by a bear... ;D

Staggerwing

Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 07, 2012, 02:57:56 PM
Though I would like to know if I'm about to have my face ripped off by a bear... ;D

Only the dice know...

Toonces

Hey guys,
After you have a chance to digest the combat, please let me know if you have any questions regarding the mechanics, or if you spot any errors in how I ran the combat.  I'm still learning the rules and had to flip around a lot; re-wrote a portion of the AAR when I realized I had calculated a few things wrong.

Some things to consider that I picked up last night:
1.  When rolling in opposed resolution, first keep in mind that you want to roll your skill number OR LESS for a success; eg. if you're sword skill is 15 then you want a 15 or less (unmodified).  Modifiers are applied to the skill, not the die roll.  A roll that is exactly your skill number is a critical hit that does double damage and is considered a "20" for resolution purposes.  Second, in opposed resolution, if both opponents roll a success then the roll that is higher is the "winner" and the other is the "loser".

2.  A roll of a natural 20 is a "fumble" unless the skill you are rolling against is 20 (in which case you can't fumble).  A fumble is usually something very bad in combat.  For a lance, usually the lance breaks.  If your opponent is attacking with a sword and you are not, the sword shatters your weapon.  It can also be humorous, like burping during a song of forgetting a lady's name that you are courting.  So don't get excited about 20's, they're usually bad!

3.  You need to have 6 yards between you and your opponent to make a charging lance attack, in which case you use your horses damage roll rather than your own.  Otherwise your lance is considered a spear.  Attacking mounted against unmounted infantry that doesn't have a spear/polearm gives a +5 modifier to the attack.

4.  Damage:  I was surprised to find that all weapons, unless they are very large or small, do the same damage; it is your str+siz/6 number of d6 which for all of you guys game to 5d6 rounded up.  The armor rating of the victim is subtracted from the die roll to find HP damage.

As we move forward, many of these same principles carry forward with respect to first aid, etc.  Keep in mind that you want to find the person that has the best skill to do things, and also review your weapon skills to ensure you are attacking with your best weapon.

In general, I'll try to move your character to make the smartest move if it makes sense and you haven't specifically stated not to, but in the future consider what weapon you will be using, what your contingency will be if a weapon breaks or if you are unhorsed, things like that.  Our next combats will be more tactical and will require more inputs between us during each round.

If you haven't reviewed chapter 5 of the rules, you might want to take a quick read through there!

Arctic Blast

It's going to take me a bit to adjust to LOW rolls being good.  ;D

Looks good to me, Toonces. I'm going to re-read the Combat section before we get in to our next scrap.

PLEASE tell me that was some sort of special animal! If that was a standard bear... :o ...this is going to be a rough game.

Toonces

Standard bear.  Remember, you guys weren't wearing armor, so you were taking full damage rolls.  When combating in the future, hopefully you'll have good, knightly armor on that will reduce that damage.  Additionally, if fighting with a shield you can add that to your armor damage deduction on a successful weapon roll that loses against your opponent.

So, if you're fighting with a sword skill of 15, and with a shield, you are going to get a successful roll 75% of the time, and even if your opponent out-rolls you on those 75% you'll be subtracting both armor and shield from damage.

Also, remember that fighting mounted with lance against unmounted foes (men, not beasts) that you're getting a +10 modifier to your lance skill.  Then you're hitting for 5 or 6d6, which is a substantial amount of damage!

You all are going to promote to knights here shortly.  Knights are the bad asses of the medieval world, so you should be putting down some serious hurt on anything less than your equal.  However, yes, combat in this game is quite brutal, so it's a good idea (over the next month or so) to start considering your family line, and maybe what your "brother's" character sheet might look like...just in case.  Just might be that you will meet some eligible women, soon, also...

Staggerwing

As to our current encounter with the bandits- are we carrying bows and arrows? Long spears will out-reach our swords and I seem to recall we left our shields behind. Does out training cover parrying spear thrusts to get in close? If my 'charmed lance' is heavy enough for throwing then that is another option but it hasn't been made clear if it is merely a thrusting lance or not. If I have say then I'm making the obvious choice.  ;)