Dominions 5- Warriors of the Faith

Started by Moreb, September 12, 2017, 12:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

I don't think so either and apart from reading a nations guide now and then I am nowhere near min maxing my gameplay in Dominions.
I just find it a fun game with lots of cool mechanics and player driven diplomacy. Nothing esport level. :)
And if I get smoked early like in our Dom 3 matches of yore, so be it. At least I'll have had fun!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Tuna

Took the plunge, hopefully learning curve is not to steep for my simple mind.

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

W8taminute

Nice job Tuna! 

We are all here to support you so ask any questions you want as you learn the game. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on June 03, 2019, 07:49:35 AM
Took the plunge, hopefully learning curve is not to steep for my simple mind.

Reading all the little pop-up descriptions of the stats really helped me early on. 

Plus a run-through of the short tutorial regarding how to organize & set up my armies.  Although that was the tutorial back around Dominions 3 IIRC.  I dunno if Dom5 still has it.  If nothing else, get familiar with the hotkeys (the ? key in-game IIRC).

Tuna

Did the MP game ever start? If not yet, I could be interested in being fodder for the slaughter!  :crazy2:

Yskonyn

No didn't start. I am not even sure how many people would be interested.  :coolsmiley:

al_infierno

I just reinstalled this the other day so I'd be down to throw my name in the ring.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

Gusington

How steep is the learning curve? I am a simple man.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on October 03, 2019, 05:23:40 PM
How steep is the learning curve? I am a simple man.

Not steep, imo.  At its heart it's a pretty standard 4x.  The main learning curve I remember was learning how to create good characters (and in the process it's super fun to create a bunch of broken or just plain ridiculous characters) and how to properly set up tactical battles.  You can't control the tactical battles, but you can choose formations, orders, and placement.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Yskonyn

The hardest part is to learn to use the 500+ spells in an efficient manner. There have been written countless nation guides which detail a specific strategic plan and then outline how you could create your pretender and configure it to complement your nations capabilities.
That is something you do not pick up on for quite a while however. Just start playing! Try out stuff and see what it does. As long as you're not playing against powerplayers you'll be fine.

W8taminute

^+1

Yskonyn nailed it.  I've got at least 5 years under my belt with Dom 3-5 and I only recently understand the relationship between the many magic spells and the wizards you need to use them with in a multiplayer game.

Dominions is a frustrating enigma but once you grasp the concept it's brilliant. 

If however you stick to just playing the game single player you will be able to learn enough on your own to beat it in about a month of solid play.  Against human opponents in multiplayer, well that's a totally different experience but it's where this game shines.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk