Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

fyi...the latest beta nVidia drivers are tweaked for Elite Dangerous.  May try to give'em a try out later today.

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 18, 2014, 09:06:30 AM
Like Nef said, I found that once I'd mapped some controls it screwed up other stuff.  I mapped the directional thrusters to a POV hat on my stick but then later found this caused issues in navigating the menus on the side panels.  It also screwed up some docking stuff and the tutorial would then get less than helpful.  "Push UnBound now."  It also doesn't differentiate between stick and throttle so it'll say "push Joy 3" but it might be referring to button 3 on the stock or button 3 on the throttle.  For me, one is missiles and the other is landing gear.  I think missiles in the docking bay might be a landing faux pas.

Yeah, I've been leaning more towards just binding the thrust axes to my fighterstick and pedals, then just using the keyboard for the rest.  I actually don't mind using the little wheel throttle on my stick and setting the big throttle off to the side when I don't need all it's extra buttons.  Then I can easily use the keyboard with my left hand.

Been running ROF that way - without the big throttle.  I only got it for games like A-10C or Falcon 4 because they use so many hat & directional switches.  Still feels like a waste sometimes, when I'm not using the extra $100+ piece of hardware, but not having to map and remember all that crap gets me over that quickly.  :)

Another complaint was the TrackIR sensitivity.  I have a couple slightly different profiles that work great for me in my flight sims where I'm checking my six and leaning back & forth to look over/through the side of the cockpit.  But when I used them in Elite, it was difficult to hold my view still when looking at the side pop-up data panels.  Was moving much faster than I'd like, perhaps because you can't really look around very far.  Not sure if there's an extra sensitivity setting in-game that will lower this, but that would be a better option than having to modify all the axes on a TIR profile and create a new one just for Elite.

Yskonyn

Nef, there are templates available on the net you can print and fill in as an overlay on the throttle base. Might be a help. :)

As for the TIR sensitivity; you can define curves in the software or create deadzones. You can make your TIR as fast or as slow as you want in there.
I am more than willing to lend a hand on TS if you want.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 18, 2014, 02:25:56 PM
Nef, there are templates available on the net you can print and fill in as an overlay on the throttle base. Might be a help. :)

As for the TIR sensitivity; you can define curves in the software or create deadzones. You can make your TIR as fast or as slow as you want in there.
I am more than willing to lend a hand on TS if you want.

I already have numerous custom TIR profiles.  Thing is.. I'd have to tweak yet another one specifically for Elite.  Just too much setup required between all the stuff to motivate me right now.  Especially when I already have my WW1 flight sims already set up and ready to go.  ;)

GDS_Starfury

you know nothing feels better then having your right buttons pushed.  O:-)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Nefaro

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 18, 2014, 02:31:57 PM
you know nothing feels better then having your right buttons pushed.  O:-)

:D

JudgeDredd

This game is superb (when it's working)  O0
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

.... so i have improved my workhorse Cobra and did some more risky salvage missions :)

here is a tip: if you fly with more the 140 through the station entry no scan hapens
(but be aware of lurking next to a station(habitat-wheel) when you drop into that space can trigger a scan sometimes too... so i thrust away as soon as i get control back from FSD)   

Yskonyn

Today finally able to sit down properly.

Enjoyed myself very much. Took a quick mission from the starter starport that yielded 16000 cr. Sold my Eagle for 45000 cr.
So financially I have a bit of room at the moment.

Got interdicted on the way to the system, missed the escape vector and so had a nice dogfight.
Aparently the guy didn't know what cornering speed means, so I was able to out maneuver him quite easily. We both flew a Sidey.

As we were fighting pretty close to a station I decided to drag out the fight to see if others would help.
He had already shot me first, so he was tagged as a criminal. Surely enough, after about 6 minutes into the fight another ship joined.
Not a player but a missile equipped security vessel! Pretty awesome!

While I kept his shields down with my lasers the security vessel pounded his hull with its missiles and before long he was exploding in great balls of Fire!
Good for almost 4000 cr worth of bounty. :) That will teach his griefing ass!

Its been a nice start so far.

-oOo-
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

Yskonyn

Geek you still havent accepted my friend request. :)
I sent it before release so if its no longer there shoot me one back. Name is the same as here.

Oh and Asid, if you're reading this... Start saving, buddy, I think I might be down afterall! ;)

-oOo-

Silent Disapproval Robot

Is everything randomized?  I couldn't find any missions that I had enough renown for in my starting location so I flew to another one (couldn't remember how to get out of high speed mode for the longest time and ended up looping around and around and around for a while).  I found one mission there I could do but then found my little flying doorstop of a ship couldn't carry enough fuel to get there.

republic

So far the only negative is the wait time to dock at the smaller facilities.  People need to learn to go into the hanger so someone else can dock.  :\

undercovergeek

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 20, 2014, 03:13:43 PM
Is everything randomized?  I couldn't find any missions that I had enough renown for in my starting location so I flew to another one (couldn't remember how to get out of high speed mode for the longest time and ended up looping around and around and around for a while).  I found one mission there I could do but then found my little flying doorstop of a ship couldn't carry enough fuel to get there.

every system has factions that you need to build a reputation with, once you do the first paltry one youll see others open up

mikeck

Yeah there should be three or four of the "take these things to the station" missions in whatever system you start out in, at least it was for me
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson