Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: SirAndrewD on December 29, 2014, 01:06:13 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 29, 2014, 12:12:13 PM
lol

I can't get 30 to 50k to buy a ship let alone decent kit for it. I had to sell my Eagle to get a Hauler. Then I had to get rid of weapons and shields to get a mining laser and a single refinery!

With the mining laser and refinery and an hour, I'll make 2-4k credits depending on what crap I pick up. That's my world.

As for running out of fuel, it's my lack of understanding of the galaxy system and the jump abilities of the ship I'm in. I often find I've jumped to a couple of systems where there's nothing and BAM...out of fuel. That was in BETA...hasn't happened in GAMMA, though I was close (unless it has happened once in GAMMA and I just can't remember!)

I hate mining.  Bounty hunting is insanely more fun and profitable.  Trading is insanely more profitable, and probably just as high (actually higher) on the fun scale when you get the hang of it. 

I'd suggest possibly relocating to The Founder's World on Shinrarta Dezhra if you haven't already.  As a Beta backer you'll have a permit to go.  At Jameson Memorial terminal, you get a discount on all ships and all ship components, and the Shinrarta Dezhra system is located in a very prime sector of space for trading.  There's always a good 15-30k fetch mission available, and they can typically be fulfilled by a short trip to nearby stars like Nuenets and Buda, both reachable in one jump on a low end FSD in a Hauler. 

For extra range, strip your Hauler of weapons, and if you dare, shields.  You won't last long in a fight anyway, and it decreases your insurance costs if you do get popped. 

Try to upgrade to an Adder asap.  It's a great multipurpose ship with good firepower, great maneuverability and good range.  It's essentially a baby Cobra, and has the same utility on a smaller scale.  You can even bounty hunt in the Adder, and you'll find good pickings in the Founders World system.  Lots of random Sidewinders, Eagles and Haulers with 2-4k bounties that can fund expansion.

By pure coincidence I'm on my way to there as I was looking for cheap battle weapons to trade and they are the cheapest in the galaxy.... Might see some of you guys around

JD.... You should be making at least 50k in an hour with mining

JudgeDredd

I've only got one refinery and it takes an age to mine. I don't recall making anywhere near that.

You mentioned 3 metals, one of which (and the lowliest) was gold - I couldn't find any where I was. All I could find was silver (in small amounts) and other lesser metals.

I'm sure if you can find Gold, Palladium(?) and Platinum(?) then you can make that kind of money.
Alba gu' brath

mikeck

Does anybody know of any cool war zones or planets that I can smuggle stuff into that's at war? I keep reading about all of these conflicts happening all over the place with planets rebelling and everything and I kind of want to join in
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

I just found 2 military plans. I have no idea what to do with them

*edit*
Seems I can sell them on the black market, though if I get caught, it's a 20k fine  :o
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 29, 2014, 04:46:44 PM

*edit*
Seems I can sell them on the black market, though if I get caught, it's a 20k fine  :o

I find that hauling contraband is rarely worth the risk. I found some stolen rebel transmissions floating in deep space and took them onbaord to try to find someone to sell them too. Well, I got scanned first when leaving a station and BAM! 8,700 credit fine.

Never again, unless its something that can generate profit that far exceeds the cost of paying the fine.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 29, 2014, 05:15:35 PM

*edit*

I find that hauling contraband is rarely worth the risk. I found some stolen rebel transmissions floating in deep space and took them onbaord to try to find someone to sell them too. Well, I got scanned first when leaving a station and BAM! 8,700 credit fine.

Never again, unless its something that can generate profit that far exceeds the cost of paying the fine.

Yeah, don't go to a station with stolen goods.  You should only hit outposts in anarchy systems, but even not all of them have black markets. 

It's not worth it, no. 

There does need to be a a difference in the game between stolen cargo and salvage.  I kill plenty of pirates that drop cargo, and it shouldn't count as stolen if I liberate the cargo from the bad guy.  I mean, otherwise that junk is just going to float around in space.  I should get a finder's fee.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 29, 2014, 04:00:47 PM
I've only got one refinery and it takes an age to mine. I don't recall making anywhere near that.

You mentioned 3 metals, one of which (and the lowliest) was gold - I couldn't find any where I was. All I could find was silver (in small amounts) and other lesser metals.

I'm sure if you can find Gold, Palladium(?) and Platinum(?) then you can make that kind of money.

Are you mining metallic rings or metal rings

Mikeck..... The war zones are in the galnet feed when in station

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

republic

Was chatting with a friend and lost 75% of my net worth by running out of fuel with a full load of cargo .5Ls away from my destination.  Painful!

Jarhead0331

Is there any reason to keep the stock basic Discovery Scanner in a Viper that I have built into a near perfect killing machine?  Although I have upgraded my power plant, couplers and FSD making my ship much more fuel efficient, I would still like to buy a fuel scoop. The problem is there is no more internal room and the only module that really seems unnecessary is that Discovery Scanner. Every once in a while I will discover and explore a new astronomical body, but it doesn't really seem to be contributing to my chosen vocation. Eventually, I'll have a larger ship with more space for modules, but the Viper has to be a dedicated compact killer and the scanner does not seem to further this goal.

I must say, this is the first open world space game that has really made me feel like a lethal bounty hunter. The combination of the wake scanner, FSD interdictor and the kill warrant scanner have proven to be awesome tools in hunting down wanted criminals.  So now, I cruise in frame shift from location to location looking for bounties. When I find one, I rip him out of frame shift with the interdictor and scan him for kill warrants, doing this will give me credit for all systems that have placed a bounty on the pilot, not just the one I am in when we cross paths. I then attack him and usually make a quick kill. However, if its a tougher ship, it may try to escape, in which case I scan his wake, find his location and hunt him down like a dog.

Find me any other game where the player can do this...yep, that's what I thought. None!

Just awesome.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

I havent really spent a lot of time in this as War Thunder got in the way.  Any fuel or trip planning tools?

Edit: looks like i found one.

http://changodock.com

vyshka

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 29, 2014, 12:12:13 PM
lol

I can't get 30 to 50k to buy a ship let alone decent kit for it. I had to sell my Eagle to get a Hauler. Then I had to get rid of weapons and shields to get a mining laser and a single refinery!

With the mining laser and refinery and an hour, I'll make 2-4k credits depending on what crap I pick up. That's my world.

As for running out of fuel, it's my lack of understanding of the galaxy system and the jump abilities of the ship I'm in. I often find I've jumped to a couple of systems where there's nothing and BAM...out of fuel. That was in BETA...hasn't happened in GAMMA, though I was close (unless it has happened once in GAMMA and I just can't remember!)

I made about 300k running regular trade routes the other day when I bought my hauler and bumped the FSD to class B. When I bought the hauler I upped the fsd, shields, power plant, and distributor to class 6, and upped the cargo space to 16T.

Moffit City (Gilgamesh) [Tantalum (later Beryllium)] -> Harbaugh Gateway (Wolf 867) [Crop Harvesters (later Marine Equipment)] -> Bunch City (Gilgamesh) [Coffee]

Originally it was a 3 hop run Gilgamesh -> Wolf 873 -> Wolf 866 -> Wolf 867, then with the class B FSD was able to do Gilgamesh -> Wolf 864 -> Wolf 867.
I make around 30-40k a run.

vyshka

*edit*

Find an outpost with a black market. You won't get scanned at an outpost.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 29, 2014, 06:01:07 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 29, 2014, 04:00:47 PM

Are you mining metallic rings or metal rings

Mikeck..... The war zones are in the galnet feed when in station
I don't know. I went to and Extraction point and started extracting. My latest foray ended in nothing because it was just crappy metals. Nothing pretty like Gold  :-\

I didn't know there was a difference - I thought it was pot luck what came out of what asteroid field (though I was aware that an asteroid field contained the same kind of metals in their asteroids)

I haven't gone more than a few systems out of the one they dumped me in at Gamma. There are three reasons for that

• Interdictions
  • Running out of fuel. That happened to me several times in Beta where I went one system too many. On one of those occasions I had refuelled at the last system I found with a station, but I still found myself several systems away with no fuel
  • Going down a certain path on the Galaxy map only to find myself having to back track because the next system I want to go to I don't have the jump capability

I've been in some very, very frustrating situations. Mostly likely my own doing...but that's why I haven't ventured too far out.

I could buy a scoop, but I'd have to probably drop an essential piece of equipment (actually probably not - I haven't looked into that). But even that won't help you when you select your next jump location (fully loaded with fuel) and you're told you don't have the jump capability. Even worse when you make your way somewhere only to find your jump capability has been reduced because of the amount of cargo you've picked up. I've lost money doing that as well.

I think I'm just not cut out to be a trader. Maybe the frustrating situations I've been in have just made me think "meh".

My own personal experiences have most definitely not been as positive as other peoples. And I wonder why. Me? Where I am?
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

Jarhead, Mikeck, UCG, you all need to accept my friend request still.  O:-) If you didn't get it, please shoot one to me at Yskonyn

SirAndrewD, SilentDisapprovalRobot and MikeGER what are your handles in Elite?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."