Unboxing new games

Started by bayonetbrant, June 05, 2014, 05:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

'Ye Auld Countdown Finale' ?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on July 07, 2014, 07:20:57 PM
I spy a Saratoga CV hiding amonst those old Iron & Oak vessels!  ;D

Yeah, its weird, but I got the game very slightly used and there's a hand-written addendum to the playbook which claims that Operation Crossroads opened up a
time travel switcheroo (or "Crossroads") that sent the Nimitz to late 1941 and the Saratoga from 1941 (or 1946?) to 1862: Mission: Sink the Confederate Ram Manassas before she
panics the US Navy off the Mouth of the Mississippi.  It seems like overkill since the Manassas nearly sank herself with her own signal rockets and did no real
damage to her target the USS Richmond despite ramming her at full double-secret ramming speed, but you know, hand-written time switcheroo scenarios can have some flaws sometimes.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on July 07, 2014, 09:38:22 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 07, 2014, 07:20:57 PM
I spy a Saratoga CV hiding amonst those old Iron & Oak vessels!  ;D

Yeah, its weird, but I got the game very slightly used and there's a hand-written addendum to the playbook which claims that Operation Crossroads opened up a
time travel switcheroo (or "Crossroads") that sent the Nimitz to late 1941 and the Saratoga from 1941 (or 1946?) to 1862: Mission: Sink the Confederate Ram Manassas before she
panics the US Navy off the Mouth of the Mississippi.  It seems like overkill since the Manassas nearly sank herself with her own signal rockets and did no real
damage to her target the USS Richmond despite ramming her at full double-secret ramming speed, but you know, hand-written time switcheroo scenarios can have some flaws sometimes.

At the rate things are going the US Navy won't even need a carrier from 80 years in the Future.

Here CSS Sumter tries to run the blockade off NewOrleans and runs into USS Iroquois which has heavier guns and is almost as fast.  After a few minutes of ramming and crossing Ts, the final straw comes when Sumter crosses the T, uses rapid fire and has a gun blow up.  At which point she is at pointblank range and about half sunk.  So I called a halt an took a picture (re-reading the rules, I see the Sumter is probably in no immediate danger of sinking -- those hits are all just "shield" hits, ie no serious structural damage -- still with already inferior guns blowing up, maybe things are pretty bad):

Nefaro

Staggerwing

Wow, how big are those ship counters with their modifying chits?

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

MengJiao

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 09, 2014, 07:52:08 PM
Wow, how big are those ship counters with their modifying chits?

The counters are the usual ship size.  they are on the big grid area on the map. 
The ship cards -- I just put them on the map for the photo-- they don't get played on the map.

Staggerwing

MengJiao

Martok

Holy crap.  That one looks like you could have some seriously epic Classical Era naval battles. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MengJiao

Quote from: Martok on July 12, 2014, 12:58:00 PM
Holy crap.  That one looks like you could have some seriously epic Classical Era naval battles.

I had the first edition long ago.  Not all that serious or epic.  It does work for smaller battles -- but for larger -- one ship counter can stand in for multiple ships.
seems kind of odd.   I may run through some small scenarios.

MengJiao

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 10, 2014, 05:18:00 AM
Ah- now I see.

And here is (from 1995 -- third edition) Great battles of Alexander deluxe:

Bison

Finally got my P500 copy of Panzer's 3erd expansion. 

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

Very nice. Looks like an interesting series.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GJK

My copy of Panzer is still in shrink.  Ugh...I need to stop buying and start playing more!!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer