Advanced Squad Leader

Started by DV8, April 03, 2012, 05:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

For me, the three biggest reasons of why I prefer board(war)gaming over computer(war)gaming are:
1. Game prep.  I thoroughly enjoy coating, cutting, clipping and storing counters.  I enjoy using a label maker to ID each of the holding boxes on the Plano storage boxes.  I enjoy laminating charts and maps (where possible).  I enjoy designing for print add-ons be it reference materials, new counters or new/different maps.
2. Face-to-face human interaction.  Not everybody has this opportunity but I'm very fortunate to live in an area that has both a very active ASL community, an active wargaming community and an active miniatures community (as well as a VERY active non-wargaming boardgame community). If you haven't had the availability of finding a local opponent you're missing out on one of the greatest strengths of the game.
3. The 'tactile' sensations during a game - handling counters, dice, charts and actually doing all the calculations yourself instead of being at the mercy of the computer program.
Glad that MMP *finally* got SK2 back in print.  The SK's should *never* be allowed to go OOP in my opinion but that's what happens with a small company I suppose.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Yskonyn

I agree on all accounts!

I've found two players in my town for ASL. One is a fanatic collector and player, the other a little less fanatic.
It's a very different Dynamic playing them versus someone on VASL.
I do like the administrative help of VASL during play though.

Since I started playing last year I now own SK 1-3 (still missing the Exp. pack and Bonus pack), BV 3rd, FKaC, Last Hurrah, Rising Sun, Hakkaa Paalle and few WO packs.

The SK's and BV have been clipped and stored so far.

The big dilemma is how to organise the vehicles; I currently use the tab system found on several places online, which organises on year.
But it makes fetching the counters pretty hard from my Raaco setup.
My F2F opponent organises on movement points, but thats not ideal either.

What do you guys do?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

gameleaper

I don't play for long periods, and then get out my ASL starter kits, I havnt even punched My ASL modules, I want to look at them every so often, I use the starter kits and I setup a board choos my infantry and MGs and storm a location with my infantry, I can play armor I just never get round to it , its mainly small infantry battles, I love the setup its like being a kid and setting up your soldiers. I love that you can setup anyway you want, and the small boards means it can be setup anywhere those boards are a design dream. Its great where you don't need electrical computers etc.. to play ASL . when Iy finaly clicked how to play ASL all other boardgames became interesting, I like solo play though.

Ive got 1st and 2nd edition Rulebooks the first is in a great box I wished they would have done the box for 2nd ed, I also have SL but never played yet.

When ever I get ASL out I can get lost in the massive hobby it is , and I normaly consider ASL as a full time hobby, its terrible some people don't ever know this game exists.

TotH is ok, its sad you don't get to see the charts and results on the tables, it could have been the perfect game, it feels like ASL but after a while it gets tedius without all the info available. so back to ASL

GJK

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 06, 2016, 02:00:45 AM

The big dilemma is how to organise the vehicles; I currently use the tab system found on several places online, which organises on year.

What do you guys do?

I store mine by the Gun caliber since that number is the largest on the counter and stands out.  So for the Germans, I'll have 3 storage areas that store the "88", the "88L" and then the "88LL".  So far, they all fit nicely when divided that way *except* for the German 75L.  For those, I divide them between StuG and non-StuG (so I'll have two containers for the 75L's).  Americans, British, Russians all work ok with this system as well (for me).

Jealous of your RAACO storage - I've seen guys with them at the local tournament...very nice.  I haven't checked in some time but I wonder if there is a U.S. distributor for them now? 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Quote from: gameleaper on July 06, 2016, 02:20:18 AM
I like solo play though.

Have you tried the ASL Bot yet? (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23121294#23121294).  Peter is really looking for some feedback on how it plays.  I've started to do some graphics for him on it for the cards but keep getting side-tracked.  I was even going to make a web-based program that handled the card draws for you- (hint, hint). 

Quote from: gameleaper
TotH is ok, its sad you don't get to see the charts and results on the tables, it could have been the perfect game, it feels like ASL but after a while it gets tedius without all the info available. so back to ASL

I haven't looked at TotH for a little while now, mainly because of that very thing.  That and it lacks even some of the most basic of items that even the Starter Kits use (ex: smoke/Smoke).  It's a start but it has a long ways to go, YOUR interfaces are more user friendly than that COMMERCIAL product.  My guess on the idea to go commercial with that game: Matrix wanted to judge the reaction (ooooohhhh, ASL on the computer- mad gamer rush!......or not) and then see how hard they'd want to pursue licensing of the actual product.  I don't think they got the response that they would need in order to justify whatever the costs would be to be able to have it licensed as an "official ASL" product (and thus could unhide the charts and guts of the program) so it'll just remain as is I would guess.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

gameleaper

I have not tried the bot, I feel I have a good method for solo, decide on 4-5 courses of action score each one on a portian of 100 then roll 2 10 sided dice to decide action to take, it works for me and is very simple.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GJK on July 06, 2016, 06:44:17 AM

What do you guys do?

I store mine by the Gun caliber since that number is the largest on the counter and stands out.  So for the Germans, I'll have 3 storage areas that store the "88", the "88L" and then the "88LL".  So far, they all fit nicely when divided that way *except* for the German 75L.  For those, I divide them between StuG and non-StuG (so I'll have two containers for the 75L's).  Americans, British, Russians all work ok with this system as well (for me).

Jealous of your RAACO storage - I've seen guys with them at the local tournament...very nice.  I haven't checked in some time but I wonder if there is a U.S. distributor for them now?

+1 on gun caliber storage
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Rekim

It's a very different Dynamic playing them versus someone on VASL.

I have a couple of local opponents that I play with regularly. About a year ago we switched from playing 90% of our games FtF & 10% VASL to now playing 90% VASL and only 10% FtF. With this change the amount of ASL in my diet has increased 300-400%. It's so convenient we frequently play on week nights now as well.

Personally, I do not find there is much difference when it comes to interacting with my opponents using VASL/Skype versus FtF. In terms of interacting with the map/counters the CTRL-LeftClick feature which focuses your opponents attention on a specific map hex is a big part of why it works so well IMHO. The only real shame is leaving all those nicely punched and sorted counters on the shelf.

Yskonyn

Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 27, 2016, 12:23:43 AM

What do you guys do?

So you don't mind vehicle types getting mixed in the same compartment then as long as the gun calibre is the same?

On gameplay I am beginning to have a good grasp of Infantry rules with full ASL now. Next match it going to feature Guns as the next step up, just like ASLSK does. Should be fun. Playing over VASL is cool, but nothing beats the fun of playing against a human opponent at the table indeed. Very glad I found someone in my neighbourhood.  O0

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Ubercat

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 07, 2016, 03:34:06 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on July 27, 2016, 12:23:43 AM

What do you guys do?

So you don't mind vehicle types getting mixed in the same compartment then as long as the gun calibre is the same?

On gameplay I am beginning to have a good grasp of Infantry rules with full ASL now. Next match it going to feature Guns as the next step up, just like ASLSK does. Should be fun. Playing over VASL is cool, but nothing beats the fun of playing against a human opponent at the table indeed. Very glad I found someone in my neighbourhood.  O0

I'm guessing that something was lost in translation here.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Yskonyn

Weird.. I would swear it showed my message before.  :-\

Anyway, I asked wether storing the counters per gun calibre doesn't make it difficult to find a specific type of vehicle or gun. Some sizes were used on quite a few different counters?

Also, I am finished clipping my Russian comrades. German infantry is done as well, vehicles and guns are in progress.
Yanks 2nd Edition just arrived, so those counters will get the varnish treatment soon.

GJK

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 08, 2016, 05:30:25 PM

Also, I am finished clipping my Russian comrades. German infantry is done as well, vehicles and guns are in progress.
Yanks 2nd Edition just arrived, so those counters will get the varnish treatment soon.

Good man.   ;)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Ubercat

I just started soloing ASLSK scenario 1, the one that's purely infantry without even any support weapons. Gary, I think that you and I Vassaled this one a couple of years ago.

Questions to follow.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GJK on July 05, 2016, 02:42:00 PM
3. The 'tactile' sensations during a game - handling counters, dice, charts and actually doing all the calculations yourself instead of being at the mercy of the computer program.

For me, having to learn and mentally apply the rules to the game board and pieces, more fully engages my brain than computer gaming.  I love both computer and board games. but the level of engagement is so different. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GJK

Quote from: Ubercat on November 08, 2016, 06:43:45 PM
I just started soloing ASLSK scenario 1, the one that's purely infantry without even any support weapons. Gary, I think that you and I Vassaled this one a couple of years ago.

Questions to follow.

Nothing else going on tonight so standing by.  ;)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer