Possible Autism Treatment?

Started by LongBlade, August 21, 2012, 10:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Apparently there is a trial about to start that uses cord blood to possibly treat, and hopefully cure, autism.

QuoteRydr received his first infusion at 2 years old. This was a child who couldn't walk, talk or eat on his own – but he started to crawl immediately.

After the second infusion, he began walking and talking – even jumping and running.

"I can verify he definitely got better," Chez said. "All without extensive therapy."

Now, Chez wants to put Rydr's experience to work for children with autism.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/08/21/doctors-announce-fda-approved-trial-to-cure-autism-with-cord-blood
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

besilarius

Wonder what is in the cord blood, that had such a rapid response?
I'm sure they have thoroughly checked his blood, and any deficiencies would have been addressed.
If it's stem cells, my understanding is that would not be as immediate as the article indicates.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

This is a very interesting idea. I suspect that it will be most useful (assuming it pans out) in younger children whose brains are still developing. That would also fit in with much of the conventional assumptions about when other Autism treatments have the greatest results. One can do naught but hope.  :)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

TheCommandTent

It will be interesting to see how the kid develops as he grows up, but it is encouraging news nonetheless.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

It begs all kinds of questions - do they need sustained infusions? Is it a one-shot cure? How much does it cure?

Hope springs eternal and it is good news. But we have more questions than answers. Hopefully this will be a significant development.

My wife and I had the option to freeze our children's cords when they were born and we opted not to - perhaps a prayer that we wouldn't need them for their sakes'. Makes me wish we had - for others'.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Windigo

Those in the know are aware that this is very VERY close to home. I will pray that this is at least a good treatment. I dare not hope for a cure ... dashed hopes are all to frequent for parents of autistic children.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Windigo on August 22, 2012, 03:03:29 PM
Those in the know are aware that this is very VERY close to home. I will pray that this is at least a good treatment. I dare not hope for a cure ... dashed hopes are all to frequent for parents of autistic children.

:( So true...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys