Vietnam 1965-1975

Started by rstites25, June 23, 2017, 10:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rstites25

I declined to attack and put the units on Patrol or Hold missions. (At least one patrol for each of the hexes adjacent to the target hex.)

Still passing?

drep

rstites25

I'm conducting a security op. It's a 5-0-10 [mech] 1st Marine battalion and its 0-8-6 HQ. I added 6 air (I only have 6 air left). 2 MPs used to get through the patrol ZOC.

JasonPratt

As a note for the audience: Meat has got the ZOCs turned on in the Vassal module, which is a nice effect, and shades surrounding chits with red hexes.

Except for those yellow ARVN units. Because in the game rules, no ARVN unit projects zones of control! (Too inefficient, undisciplined, corrupt, etc.)

Since the whole point of patrol ops are to increase ZOC penalties (creating a ZOC that counts for 2 extra movement points, as though an enemy is passing through an opponent's hex instead of just nearby), this raises the question of whether ARVN units can do patrol operations. "Battalion" sized ARVN units cannot. Are there larger sized ARVN units though? (...or smaller sized units which can?) I haven't been able to figure out.

Strength 0 units cannot patrol either, although some of them (in the NVA) can project zones of control.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

rstites25

Yeah, there are larger ARVN units, like these regiments.

They're grouped into divisions, which each have their own 1-star leader that comes into play when determining effectiveness. The battalion units are all independent. Their effectiveness/ineffectiveness is predicated on where they're located and the status of the particular 2-star Corps commander in charge of that geographic region.

Off the top of my head, I *think* the ARVN no-ZOC rule is limited to battalion sized units. So the prohibition on patrol missions parallels this. So it's only the weak battalion units that have no ZOCs. Other ARVN units do have such capability.

rstites25

Oh, and I think it's only patrol ZOCs that are showing up in the VASSAL module. Regular ZOCs don't show up.

JasonPratt

One of the rules (3.1) does specify "battalion" ARVNs without the capability.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

drep

That's a 1 0 6 VC Battalion

rstites25

1 defender loss. Replacement? Retreat? Stay and fight again?

* Attacker Loss Column =  4 to 7.5
* Defender Loss Column =  8 to 13.5
* Combat Odds =  5:1       Odds DRM = 5
* Terrain DRM = -1
* Combat Round 1
* Air Points Allocated to Operation
* **********  Combat Roll = 5  Modified Roll = 9  **********
* Defender Loss = 1
* Pursuit Result  = 5
* Combat Board Reset for New Round/Attack
* *******  Combat Resolved  *******

drep

I'll take a RP hit and then retreat to 2855(?). One north and one northeast off the road.

rstites25

Security op continued on. 4 MP used now.

drep

Did you mean to drop the stack on 2460? 2260 is offroad.

rstites25

I don't know what I was thinking. I just thought that was what I had intended to do yesterday, but didn't double check it today. I think my goal was just to get a path to Tay Ninh open and then go from there with clearing out any other units.

Yeah, let's go with 2460. Sorry about the brain fart.

rstites25

And that would be 6 MP used to get there.

drep

Ok. 2460 is a 3 1 6 VC Battalion.