Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Empire/Leader

1st two policies

Victory Type

Hiawatha
Liberty & Rationalism
Science
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

bayonetbrant

Inca / Peru
Liberty & Commerce
Culture
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Windigo

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 22, 2013, 11:47:53 AM
Inca / Peru
Liberty & Commerce
Culture

Nice... be cool to play on a huge epic scale map with you

eyebiter

Rome
Tradition and Commerce
Cultural

Gusington

Morocco.
Order and rationalism (IIRC).
Cultural...if I can swing it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

Venice (a weird game style, but so very rewarding)
Liberty and Aesthetics (new in the expansion)
Cultural all the way, baby.

Before Brave New World:
Rome
Liberty and Tradition
Science
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

TheCommandTent

Germans (although the Shoshone in BNW are fun)
Honor and Tradition
Domination
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bayonetbrant

something I'm noticing with BNW...

it doesn't hurt to make one of your first 1-2 policies to be the baseline adoption of Honor.  Given the greater incidents of CanadiansBarbarians in BNW, the combat bonus is helpful, but what *really* makes a difference is the culture bonus you gain from killing them.  I think it *really* made a difference in the Venice game I'm playing now, where I was able to get a lot more culture built up early, without having to resort to adopting Tradition as a policy.  Depending on your game, you might not go beyond that baseline of Honor, but it really helps to get that one in.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

^ Yep, I've noticed this too. I've started taking that policy to start, finding a couple of Barb camps and farming them for culture. Don't kill the camp right away but farm a few units off of it, then kill it and move to another camp that is causing you more trouble.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Barthheart on July 23, 2013, 11:22:39 AM
^ Yep, I've noticed this too. I've started taking that policy to start, finding a couple of Barb camps and farming them for culture. Don't kill the camp right away but farm a few units off of it, then kill it and move to another camp that is causing you more trouble.

That is way too "gamey" for me.

I've been trying to get into the military civs, but I always end up with culture and wonders. I think this is because the early game sieges require such a huge military commitment.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Windigo

Quote from: son_of_montfort on July 23, 2013, 03:56:22 PM

I've been trying to get into the military civs, but I always end up with culture and wonders. I think this is because the early game sieges require such a huge military commitment.

I love being next to a hawkish leader, they usually give me an excuse to grab one or two of their cities without any social/cultural penalty from other leaders ... other than the unhappyness aspect... just chose a few happy religious benefits to offset

mikeck

William of Orange
Liberty and Commerce
Military conquest (what's all this "culture" crap)

Rolling in production and gold
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

You're still talking about Civ right?

Civ is one of the few games that makes.me feel bad about being a military bully. I don't know why...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

eyebiter

Quote from: son_of_montfort on July 23, 2013, 03:56:22 PM

Have the best luck early with Germany.  50% chance of getting a free unit when you capture a barbarian camp. Once you get three archers and several warriors attack in the ancient era. Go after player cities first, press minors for tribute (gold or workers) first, then attack later.. Usually puppet to keep down unhappiness.

mikeck

Quote from: Gusington on July 24, 2013, 07:38:25 AM
You're still talking about Civ right?

Civ is one of the few games that makes.me feel bad about being a military bully. I don't know why...

Bah! Just like Jello...there's always room for military conquest.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson