Gaming, thy name is Friday!

Started by MetalDog, August 02, 2013, 05:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Martok

Quote from: republic on August 02, 2013, 07:36:59 AM
Dammit Jim I'm still waiting on you to come out of the birth canal...
Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your wife, man.  At this point, I just hope he comes out safe, and ideally at a not-terribly-inconvenient time.  8) 

Quote from: Tuna on August 02, 2013, 06:16:16 AM
What is BotF?
BOTF is a terrible addiction that has consumed the last fourteen years of my life.  ::) 

To elaborate, however:  Birth of the Federation is basically Master of Orion 2 set in the Star Trek: The Next Generation universe.  (Some of the same folks that worked on MOO2 also worked on this game, and their influence clearly shows.  BOTF has been referred to by some as "MOO2.5".) 

You play as one of five major powers (Federation, Klingons, Romulans, etc.).  You do the normal 4x stuff -- explore the galaxy, colonize new star systems, research new technology, conduct diplomacy with the other races (and of course fight them when diplomacy fails), launch intel operations against your foes, etc.  There also are the usual random events (probably the best known are the Borg invasions!) which can help spice up the game. 

Perhaps one of BOTF's most notable features are the "minor" races (such as the Vulcans, Bajorans, etc.) that you can interact with.  They add a good deal of atmosphere to the game, partially because you can choose to force them into your empire at the point of a phaser rifle, or you can use diplomacy to get them to join your empire peacefully.  (There are pros and cons to both methods, especially depending on which power you're playing as.) 

Anyway, it's an old game (and it shows), but it's still a fun one for me.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

sandman2575

I've gotten sucked back into Sword of the Stars II of late.  This is just a kick-ass game.  Loads of fun.

Will try to find some time for Graviteam Tactics Op. Star as well. Another game that falls into the kick-ass category --

Sir Slash

Looks like Republic's still on, "South-of-the-Border-Alert". I know, I know. Don't start THAT again. It's hot here in Florida so it works like this, clean the pool, get in the pool, stay in the pool. Eat, drink, sleep, in the pool. You can't use the computer in the pool, dammit. Maybe if I wrapped in water-proof duct tape... So it'll be something cool for me like Skyrim up at the snow level or CM-Gustav Line in a snow storm or something like that. Or I could just put my BVD's in the freezer for about 30 min. & then put them back on. That works and your able to sing real high too. 8)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Rizik6

Civ 5 BNW, Shadowrun Returns and I'd like to finally get to Wargame ALB.

mikeck

Well, like Slasj, I am I'm Florida...on average it has been for 3 months - and will be for another 2.5- about 95 degrees outside.

Soooo, I will be inside, like a hibernating bear who sleeps in the summer.

Playing DW, scourge of War and most definitely...Homeworld 2 complex 8.4
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Huw the Poo

bob48

Had a nice afternoon playing some CoH stuff, mainly AtB, and will probs play more this evening.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Windigo

Wargaming this weekend??? SFA!!!

Gonna do my best at the Fishing Sim and Elbow Bending 5.0
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Arctic Blast

I'll either continue making my way through my Steam sale purchases, or I'll play more Rising Storm until I find myself cursing the developers in a blind rage.

And I just realized it's a long weekend. So...sweet! I shall also be drinking a substantial amount of scotch.  ;D

Wolfe1759

Probably continue from last weekend Children of the Nile with the Horus Texture Overhaul Project mod which had its final release recently.

May get distracted with some Tropico 4 (must resist buying the Voodoo DLC  :) ) and S.P.A.Z or maybe even some vanilla TW:ROME.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 02, 2013, 09:43:23 AM
Looks like Republic's still on, "South-of-the-Border-Alert". I know, I know. Don't start THAT again. It's hot here in Florida so it works like this, clean the pool, get in the pool, stay in the pool. Eat, drink, sleep, in the pool. You can't use the computer in the pool, dammit. Maybe if I wrapped in water-proof duct tape... So it'll be something cool for me like Skyrim up at the snow level or CM-Gustav Line in a snow storm or something like that. Or I could just put my BVD's in the freezer for about 30 min. & then put them back on. That works and your able to sing real high too. 8)

where in Fl0iDa are yee?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Kushan

Quote from: Gusington on August 02, 2013, 07:45:28 AM
What kind of mod are you planning?

Going to be doing a shaman style RP mod. I plan for my next character to not use any enchants but surviving in Skyrim on master difficulty with the Skyrim Redone mod is probably impossible. So I;m doing a mod that will give some different type of powers such as elemental resistance, elemental damage on weapons, etc. to make up for the lack of enchanting. Going to be stealing some ideas for powers from both WoW and Rift.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Gusington

Wow. Hardcore. You're like some kind of Skyrim maniac.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Marvel Heroes Online and learning some DOTA2 on the side.

Some Wargame: Airland Battle and/or Rising Storm sometime this weekend, if I want serious multiplayer.