Shogun TW II (Campaign ?)

Started by PanzersEast, August 05, 2013, 11:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

I have the Vanilla, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai.... currently in a Vanilla campaign and have become very bored with it.... to my understanding the best campaign to play is the Fall of the Samurai?  I am loosing interest as of now with my current campaign....

PE

Gusington

FOTS is my favorite TW campagn.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tuna

Tuna

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Sir Slash

FOTS Did not make my loins wet though it did make my Samurai rise before it fell again. I mean-- they-- fell again. In my humble... great campaign but poor battle AI. It just comes right at you on offense or defense regardless of the numbers. Unless the visibility is poor(fog or snow) or your general defects, you can set-up a shooting gallery kind of defense and the AI will come right in. This can still be a challenge and the AI will sometimes break your forces with their charge but the tactics usually don't vary much. Naval battles, the AI will sit with it's broadside to you and not move until you're in range. I split my ships and go for each flank and then the AI has to move to counter you. I never ran into or built any torpedo boats and this could alter things a whole lot.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 05, 2013, 01:49:17 PM
FOTS Did not make my loins wet though it did make my Samurai rise before it fell again. I mean-- they-- fell again. In my humble... great campaign but poor battle AI. It just comes right at you on offense or defense regardless of the numbers. Unless the visibility is poor(fog or snow) or your general defects, you can set-up a shooting gallery kind of defense and the AI will come right in. This can still be a challenge and the AI will sometimes break your forces with their charge but the tactics usually don't vary much. Naval battles, the AI will sit with it's broadside to you and not move until you're in range. I split my ships and go for each flank and then the AI has to move to counter you. I never ran into or built any torpedo boats and this could alter things a whole lot.

I think that is it, the battle AI is just the same thing over and over and the lack of variety hurts.  Have never focused on my navy...... unfortunately, I think I will shelve this one for now.  I am still at a wait and see for RTW II so I will be holding off any purchase. I have plenty of other things on my list and for now this one is going back  :-\

PE

Gusington

I have seen the FOTS AI use tactics on occasion, but not regulalry.. And using small torpedo boats occasionally mixes things up navalwise unless you're going against a much more better equipped foe. I have had single torpedo boats blasted out of the water by one shot from an ironclad. Spectacular, but crappy to be on the receiving end of.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tuna

Artillery seems very strong in this game.. absolutely deadly.. compared to Empire and Napoleon..
In all the TW games, the must fun is always in the battles where the enemy greatly outnumbers you.

I like that there is land in some of the sea battles, but it doesn't really affect anything. Shore Batteries are cool.

I don't know if they are in Vanilla or not, but the Geisha's are rough.. you keep going into battles and having General's change sides on you. By the end of the Game I would just assassinate all Geisha's asap!..

bob48

^Yeah you're right about the arty, Tuna. I would guess its mainly due to it being mostly rifled rather than smoothbore.

As for the Geisha's - shoot on sight - they are a pain in the butt! ;)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

One of my favorite components is off shore naval support of land battles. The deck guns really make the player feel like a god. An evil, artillery shell flinging god.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bob48

You forgot to add the 'MWHAHAHA'
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

As an evil artillery shell flinging god, I would great you with a simple 'hiya' as my Gramps did...and he actually was in the artillery:)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I didn't mean to turn you off PE. It's still a great campaign. And even though the battle AI isn't great, the campaign AI can be very good especially at higher difficulty levels and the Realm Divide is a lot more friendly. Echo the agents importance. They can turn the tide in a campaign or ensure victory. And... get sweet revenge on those traitor, bastard generals.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

undercovergeek

yet to do FOTS, still working thru vanilla - looking at calendar, looking at FOTS, looking at calendar, looking at FOTS - Rome is imminent