Matrix Weekly Deal is back

Started by Rayfer, August 05, 2013, 12:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

Budd, thanks for taking the time to share this! Looks very cool!

Bison

The Barbarian mod can really give the AI a boost and add to the challenge of the game. 

You can download it here: http://www.gamershell.com/news_14365.html

-budd-

I'm interested in the file, thx for the link but it says file not available for download. Any other places i can get it?
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Anguille

-budd-

thank you sir, that did the trick. Grabbed them all. thx again.

Martok

So it sounds like unless I have a burning desire for additional scenarios, I'm probably better off just skipping right to picking up Gates of Troy.  Yes?  No? 

Quote from: Steelgrave on August 09, 2013, 12:14:41 AM
Budd, thanks for taking the time to share this! Looks very cool!
Seconded.  Thanks budd

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

Quote from: Martok on August 09, 2013, 03:41:21 PM
So it sounds like unless I have a burning desire for additional scenarios, I'm probably better off just skipping right to picking up Gates of Troy.  Yes?  No? 

I believe there's a couple campaigns in Spartan that are not in Gates of Troy.  The one pictured above is a very early start, whereas the stock full campaign in Spartan started later on so there aren't "freebie" neutrals cities next to you.  Everyone is part of a greek league or alliance so it may be more difficult to expand quickly without making some tough enemies of your neighbors.

Arctic Blast

Holy crap! I was going to just pass these by, but...damn! I might have to pick at least one of them up.

Thanks, budd.

-budd-

I just didn't want to be alone in my game gluttony ;)

Grim.Reaper

Martok

Thanks GR!  Downloading now. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Martok on August 10, 2013, 12:49:59 AM
Thanks GR!  Downloading now.

No problem......I tried it a bit, a very short bit, didn't initially grab me, but probably did not invest enough time in it.  I'll probably pass myself since more pressing things for me to purchase:)

JasonPratt

The game licensed with History Channel's Engineering an Empire is essentially Chariots of War (or Spart/Got) with a focus on Egypt. I tried playing it on a PSP and it gave me a splitting headache (for reasons I'm not entirely sure about), and I'm someone who burned an absolute ton of time playing Spart/Got back when GoT was first released. (I also replaced the Spart/GoT music files with cues from The Bourne Supremacy, which worked amazingly well. :) )

Never got around to playing CoW on a real proper computer, but this reminds me I want to: I don't know any other game that even tries to simulate the bizarre, colorful and messy micro-empire situation in the territories between Assyria and Egypt during a period of a few centuries when both huge empires were not entirely strong enough to stop those little kingdoms from flourishing. (i.e., the same time period covered in the royal chronicle books of the Old Testament, including the same areas but naturally with somewhat wider scope.)

After Spart/GoT, Slitherine was originally going to upgrade their Legion game, same engine but ancient Rome (which I guess they eventually did sort of with Egypt: Engineering an Empire), but got distracted trying to improve the fun little battle resolution engine. This led to Legion Arena, which concentrated on building up forces between battle resolutions more-or-less based on Roman history (plus a crazy fantasy-themed sequel the name of which I forget at the moment), and then remaking/updating that game with another History Channel tie-in Great Battles of Rome (so if you want to play Legion Arena, that's the game to get now).

Their most developed battle-engine-centric game, with a lot more control over what the units do on the field (but still with GBoR's loose linear campaign structure between fights), is another History Channel tie-in Great Battles Medieval which basically covers the English/French 100 year war. This has recently been ported over to pads with much fanfare. I liked it, kind-of, but wanted more strategic oomph since at the time I couldn't play Med2TW on my old system. (There is no real strategic oomph in the series anymore, only spending points between linear battles to buy and upgrade troop types. The game is practically Bladestorm except played in a very different fashion from Dynasty Warriors!) Someone who has traced the development of the games would recognize the connections with the old battle system but it's so nicely fleshed out that a casual glance wouldn't be able to recognize it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

What day of the week do they put up the new Weekly Deal?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Tuna

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 11, 2013, 06:42:08 AM
What day of the week do they put up the new Weekly Deal?

I think it has been Mondays..