the history of Paradox

Started by Keunert, August 11, 2013, 02:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keunert

a very interesting article on the much loved and hated game developer and publisher Paradox:

http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/8/7/4554042/paradox-interactive-history
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Greybriar

That is an interesting read. Thanks for letting us know about it, Keunert.

Up until now, the only thing I knew about Paradox was limited to what I'd read at MobyGames.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Martok

A fascinating read indeed.  Thanks for the link Keunert

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Tuna

WallysWorld

Interesting to read that it was Victoria:Revolutions that inspired them to eventually create Gamersgate.

Thanks for posting!
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

tgb

I haven't read the article but I thought Gamersgate was around long before Vicky:Rev.

WallysWorld

Quote from: tgb on August 11, 2013, 04:38:03 PM
I haven't read the article but I thought Gamersgate was around long before Vicky:Rev.

"He sold an expansion to Paradox's worst-selling title, Victoria: An Empire Under the Sun, via download only. He figured it would show him the baseline the company could expect from an online-only marketplace.
The experiment surprised him, and the expansion sold well. That encouraged the company to open Paradox On Demand, to which it slowly added other titles from its catalog. Before long they changed the name of the service to GamersGate."
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Arctic Blast

Well, I definitely learned a lot. Cool read.

jomni

I'm trying to avoid buying from Gamersgate as much as possible.
Download speeds are horrendous in my case.

Silent Disapproval Robot

the first direct download game i ever bought was through these guys.  Can't remember the year but it was Take Command: 2nd Manassas. 

I still prefer GG over Steam even though more and more all I get from GG is a Steam activation code.

sandman2575

Definitely interesting.  I didn't know about the connection between paradox and gamersgate.

I wish there had been some mention of how hearts of iron figured in p'dox's company development...