Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Started by OJsDad, January 23, 2017, 11:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 31, 2017, 06:01:24 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on December 31, 2017, 04:39:46 PM
Bladder bursting?

You old fart!

you drink 5 beers and sit still for almost 3 hours.

Time to invest in adult diapers
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: mirth on December 31, 2017, 06:12:28 PM
Bladder bursting?

You old fart!

We know you like sitting in your own urine.
the rest of us not so much.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on December 31, 2017, 06:25:28 PM
Quote from: mirth on December 31, 2017, 06:12:28 PM
Bladder bursting?

You old fart!

We know you like sitting in your own urine.
the rest of us not so much.

Perhaps, but I know how to correctly quote a post.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Centurion40

Quote from: Emeraldlis on December 30, 2017, 01:35:33 PM
Rogue one is my favourite too. I saw it twice in the cinema, and the ending gets me everytime  :'(  I think it'll become a classic in time.

Agreed. My kid hated it. He mostly liked the new one on now wants to go to Ireland and visit the island where Luke lived.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Centurion40 on December 31, 2017, 06:45:51 PM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on December 30, 2017, 01:35:33 PM
Rogue one is my favourite too. I saw it twice in the cinema, and the ending gets me everytime  :'(  I think it'll become a classic in time.

Agreed. My kid hated it. He mostly liked the new one on now wants to go to Ireland and visit the island where Luke lived.

I hope you get to do that , because Ireland is a special place , with some really spectacular scenery  :) I'm fairly sure that the place where they shot that is somewhere in county Kerry ....probably on the peninsula were the very touristy ring of Kerry is . Which is just a road that goes right around the peninsula, but it's supposed to be beautiful .I've lived here for 14 years , and I still haven't done it ! Although I've been to Kerry a few times and it really is stunning in places ...like Dingle , which is a small fishing town , it's lovely . I think those houses in the film , I remember reading that they used to be monk's cells , where the monks used to live . And I thought it was clever in the movie the last Jedi , how they made the little alien creatures look like nuns ( the ones who fixed the wall when Rey shot a hole in it ,when she connected with kylo ren/Ben ) I thought it was clever how they gave a "nod" to the heritage of that place :)

I know there's a lot wrong with the movie , and I agreed with others on here who said it went on for far to long .it could have been shorter . But then again , I also think they got some parts right . And I wouldn't have minded the length of the movie , if it had blown me away .
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

acctingman

I just don't get all the nerd rage about this movie  :o

edit: not so much here, but on other forums I frequent

GDS_Starfury

as a person that knows military history and plays wargames there is a lot of stupid shit in this movie and those like it.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

It's not history, it's sci fi for kids.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

MikeGER

Quote from: acctingman on January 01, 2018, 02:31:42 PM
I just don't get all the nerd rage about this movie  :o

well not only nerds, 
for all audience for whom this was not their first Star Wars movie, and esp those who had seen Episode VII before (and even re-watched it as a primer a few day before like i did), there were some strong expectations planted,
esp with the announcement that Episode VIII is a direct continuation of the plot.

planted expectation were
- That Luke teach Rey as a Jedi master in his own personal style but where influence of Obi Wan and Yoda shines through
- That Snoke is at least the size of a cave troll and a mean manifestation of evil itself in spacetime-continuum which had puppet mastered Sith lords like Palpatine at ease ... and is not suddenly a lizard in a golden bath robe, who get fooled by two young apprentices in their love-hate relationship confusion
- That Rey's origin (parents, step parents?) somehow matter
- That Phasma has an important role in the developing plot

also some of the 'irritations' could have been so easily avoided by just one casual sentence in the radio chatter
like: in despair we converted captured old low level planetary bombers to join the attack...First Order will get a rude surprise
art design:  i would have shaped the bombs as RPG warheads with a small rocket that ignite after a spring release
from the racks ...problem solved.

instead of the Asian women for Political Correctness on Earth and the Disney marketing department happiness
it would have been sooo much more StarWars (and with an even better 'all races in the universe matter and contribute to the effort'-message)   
if the new Finn sidekick would have been from a different Star Wars race like Ahsoka Tano's race  or those females with blue skin, we all know from those holo-poledance gimmicks ...that would have been a smart move, even had please the feminists with: look those woman can do more then work in bar entertainments. they are engineers and fighter pilots too...                     

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MikeGER on January 02, 2018, 04:09:03 AM
- That Rey's origin (parents, step parents?) somehow matter

Who says they don't?
I mean, you got told something by an evil dude who may have had ulterior motives to obscure the truth.
And there's not at least a chance he's lying?

To me, that's one of the dumbest/weakest complaints about the movie - just because Kylo Ren insulted her by denigrating her parents doesn't make it true.  It might be, but we don't know either way.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on January 01, 2018, 04:52:13 PM
It's not history, it's sci fi for kids.

So were the prequels. So are the Transformers movies. Doesn't mean they're good movies.

Pacific Rim is an epically dumb movie, but it is all also a lot of fun.

Last Jedi was dumb without the fun. It was Spaceballs without the laughs.

airboy

After 18 days the movie fell to 2nd place in the US box office.