Star Wars Battlefront II - PC

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 12, 2017, 05:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 16, 2017, 02:45:16 PM
I suppose I'm not supporting their model if I don't buy loot crates, which I wouldn't.

and consider you could kick my ass all over  Tatooine or Hoth  ^-^

i took the plunge (PC version) and i am downloading and played a little arcade mode while its downloading

i don't care much about the crates  (and will surly not buy one single one)

...even just standing in a corner of a map and soaking in the cinematographic atmosphere is good.   

(TOAW IV will be on sale sooner or later and than it will be still the same game (experience), while StarWars is more like a recent event and when you get that when its on sale, the servers will be either empty or full of highest level super nerds all with all the legendary stuff and you provide just an easy target for their amusement ...that was part of my thoughts when making the decision)

SirAndrewD

One thing that worries me is that there's some long wait times on the servers on PC.  I'd expect them to be popping very regularly, but I actually couldn't find a match of Starfighter Assault after I got home from work today (and I was itching to blow stuff up after 7 hours of Sixth Graders). 

I'm hoping that the negative backlash on the crate system hasn't resulted in an early death to the servers.  I know the game hasn't released for non Deluxe Edition buyers, but I expected a much higher population in non-primetime.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

And here we go.  The buyable Loot Crate progression system has been removed from the game.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/pre-launch-update?utm_campaign=swbf2_hd_na_ic_soco_twt_swbfii-prelaunchblog-tw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=42029&ts=1510882077024

Now the question is, what happens to all the people that DID spend money on crates?  Do they get to keep their stuff while everyone else has to grind?  If they don't, are they going to have an option to be refunded?  I can see EA opening up a big can of worms if they take the purchased items away with no option for a refund.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

acctingman

This kinda sorta makes me want to get this game now.

JudgeDredd

Downloading now - will be playing in a couple of hours  :)
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 17, 2017, 12:57:10 PM
Downloading now - will be playing in a couple of hours  :)

Good.  Gooooood. 

Do what must be done.  Do not hesitate.  Show no mercy.

JudgeDredd

My training is almost complete. The Dark Side awaits.
Alba gu' brath

mirth

You joined the Dark Side when you gave EA your money :P

Skoop

I don't see what all the nego fuss is about, the game is fun as hell loot crate or no loot crate.  The SP campaign alone is worth the price of admission.  The only thing that would be better than this would be a totally different game, like an RPG of conan exiles or elite dangerous, but its star wars.

mirth

Quote from: Skoop on November 17, 2017, 02:36:40 PM
The SP campaign alone is worth the price of admission.

I'm not sure a 4-5 hour solo campaign in any game is worth $60  :-\

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mirth on November 17, 2017, 02:42:04 PM

I'm not sure a 4-5 hour solo campaign in any game is worth $60  :-\

Yeah, having played through it in two sittings, I'd have to agree. 

Surprisingly not tacked on and not awful is more what I'd say. 

It's fun, it's a very good compliment to the game and it's got a few really good story beats that add something to the canon.  It also adds a better understanding to who and what the First Order is and stands for in the sequels.  I'm shocked that I enjoyed it, as I expected DICE to just bolt on a story light bot fest. 

The game itself however is worth the sticker price, especially with future DLC free.   And I actually had no problem with the idea that you could buy progression with real cash.  The problem I had, and still do is that credit earning for people that don't want to spend money is stunted to encourage real spending, and the crate system is so random as to be pointless as a true progression. 

Now that monetization has been removed, I hope EA will move quickly to fix those issues.   Even with the problems there, the actual game is very fun and well done.