Help! I'm stuck in a rut.

Started by Bison, January 08, 2013, 03:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: SharonT on July 22, 2013, 10:51:03 PM
Get free from that rut, before it kills you. It could be anything, but in any case, sameness kills you, one item at a time. Here are a few basic tips for getting things back in line and actually living. Resource for this article: why not achieve your own have a preference for and even critique

Hi SharonT. Allow me to give you the warmest of greetings I can to spammers.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Toonces

I thought for sure that this was going to be a thread about Bison's addiction to Dungeons and Dragons Online...

And bewbs still rock!   8)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Do spammers posing as females on the interwubs have nice bewbs?

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Boggit

Quote from: Nefaro on July 23, 2013, 12:04:22 AM
Do spammers posing as females on the interwubs have nice bewbs?
Yep! NewbyBewbies! :o ;)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Nefaro

If bewbies bounced in the unterwebs, would a bear take a shit in the woods?

JasonPratt

Back to helpful advice: perhaps try a Dungeon Siege collection? Especially the games of DS2. Like Diablo but much less random and more actually RPGish.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Perhaps we should make a thread about what your comfort games are?  Ya know.. the ones you fire up when you're in a gaming muck and nothing really sounds like fun at the moment?  ;)

Darkspire

Quote from: eyebiter on January 08, 2013, 03:40:21 PM
Try Torchlight instead.

Having followed DIII I was more interested in Titan Quest and its expansion, add the fan made Vault to the mix and you have the game that DIII should have been had Blizzard not stopped every few years and started again, also Grim Dawn is in the works and that will really put the cat amongst the pigeons once it arrives.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.

Nefaro

Grim Dawn looks pretty wonderful, but it feels like that thing has been in development for about four years.  Pretty sure I recall first hearing of it in alpha back in '09 or even earlier. 

Hopefully that translates to heaploads of content and depth on release, but we'll see.

Darkspire

Quote from: Nefaro on July 27, 2013, 10:44:58 PM
Grim Dawn looks pretty wonderful, but it feels like that thing has been in development for about four years.  Pretty sure I recall first hearing of it in alpha back in '09 or even earlier. 

Hopefully that translates to heaploads of content and depth on release, but we'll see.

GD has a bit of a history as the TQ engine was brought by the folks that put TQ together, with TQ there was a lot of talk back in the day that Blizzard saw that it was so similar to DIII that they went back to the drawing board, DIII should have been released years before it was, having played both I much prefer TQ, game just flows better and plays so well, plus there are some cracking mods for it, the Vault and camera one are really good. If you have a look on Amazon you can pick up the Gold edition of TQ (game and expansion) for about a fiver.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.

SgtRock

Quote from: Bison on January 08, 2013, 03:30:57 PM
I'm stuck in a rut of not being able to play anything but Diablo 3.  If figured my latest bout would last a few hours, but it's gone way beyond that point now.  I have no desire to fire up any other game.  Right now I have a few hours of me time but the servers are down for maintenance.   Gah!  I'm so lost.  I just want to kill baddies and loot.  I've also started up a hardcore campaign and am about to face my first big test in the throne room.

This is such unfamiliar territory for me to be in with my gaming hobby.  I generally suffer from a serious ADD when it comes to gaming.  It's so weird.

I've thought about firing up BftB or Decisive Campaigns.  I have fired up a couple of other ARPGs but they aren't doing it for me right now.

I know how you feel, for me is Guild Wars 2, been playing it non-stop from the beginning of the year. Tried Rift and a dozen other FTP games with no joy. Played WITP & WITP/AE for years and now they just make my eyes glaze over. The good news, I'm spending very little on gaming. The big issue, too many new releases are nothing but copies/expansions of existing games and new games seem to have a been there done that feel to them.

Nefaro

Quote from: Darkspire on July 27, 2013, 11:03:49 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 27, 2013, 10:44:58 PM

GD has a bit of a history as the TQ engine was brought by the folks that put TQ together, with TQ there was a lot of talk back in the day that Blizzard saw that it was so similar to DIII that they went back to the drawing board, DIII should have been released years before it was, having played both I much prefer TQ, game just flows better and plays so well, plus there are some cracking mods for it, the Vault and camera one are really good. If you have a look on Amazon you can pick up the Gold edition of TQ (game and expansion) for about a fiver.

Darkspire

I've had TQ (and later TQ Gold) for quite awhile, and enjoyed it.  The main cons were the maps all being exactly the same every time you played (some procedural generation is being done in Grim Dawn due to such feedback) and the itemization values often being rather bland.  The classical mythology setting is excellent.  I may have to load this back up again sometime soon, since it's been awhile.

One thing I had read about TQ was that it's loot rolls were somehow bugged and the full loot tables weren't usually being utilized.  Did you read about this?   There was some RNG mod that supposedly helped with this, but I can't definitively say I noticed much difference when I used it other than one example.  At a certain mausoleum, I would regularly get the blue "Ram Bow" drop, in the early game.  It happend probably 1 in 3 times I went through there.  But after adding the RNG mod, that obviously dropped since I didn't see it again.  It was a small sample size, though, so I'm still not sure whether that mod is worth the bother.

Darkspire

Never had any problems with the drops, nor had I heard anything regards problems with them. If I found any pieces of the armor sets or anything really useful for my other characters I saved them in the vault, the only other mod I used was the camera one, so you could look around and see the character and landscapes properly. I still much prefer TQ to Diablo, still have the first Diablo installed but uninstalled D2 to put TQ in, I love the Greek mythology storyline and the way the story progresses, much more fluid than D2 IMHO. As for the maps, I thought they were linear but fine, just as big as D2 but much better in the graphics dept and much better to work through with the different levels of hills and paths, getting the combos going and watching the enemies pinging about as you charged through there ranks was great fun, I will have to fire it up again and start a new character.
I am at present in San Andreas as I have just found Xpadder, I can finally play the  game with my Windows 360 pad, think I will also see if I can use it to play TQ with the pad as well, Xpadder has to be one of the most useful gaming apps on the PC, pure genius, I can use the right stick and the back triggers with no problem at all, took five minutes and a three profiles but the pad on the PC is 99% the same as my my XBox pad.

Darkspire

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Bison on January 08, 2013, 03:49:44 PM
This is when you guys are supposed to be like "Hey man I've been playing Steel Panthers for 10 years and it never gets old."  Not encouraging my ADD!  :D

All right, Mister.  What do you think you're doing?  You call this a post?  This is a pig sty and I want you to clean it up right now.  You are a disgusting slob!  Stand up straight, tuck in that shirt, adjust that belt buckle, tie those shoe laces...   What is THAT?  Wipe that smile off your face.  DO YOU UNDERSTAND?  What is THAT?  A Diablo III post on the Internet?  What kind of a man are you?  You're worthless and weak.  You do nothing, you are nothing, you just sit in here all day and play these sick, repulsive computer games!

Who are you?  Where do you come from?  ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?  WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE???