Steel Beast Gameplay Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, July 14, 2013, 09:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

I know in the licensing thread we starting talking about gameplay for Steel Beasts, so in order to separate from that topic, creating this one.

This simulator has always interested me, but initially the DRM scheme of using a dongle and price kept me away.  However, after the recent discussions on it and seeing that version 3.0 is nearing completion, my interest is renewed again.  At this time, the use of the dongle and price really isn't an issue for me anymore, assuming I feel I'll enjoy it enough.  To be honest, the only issue with the dongle is the fact I would have to wait a number of days to receive it in the mail, which makes me hesitate because of my habit of being an impulse buyer:)  I am certain I would have purchased it on a whim by now if there wasn't a physical piece needed.

With all that said, I was able to get a demo license for the simulator yesterday which is basically a full license to play the game for a week or so, free of charge.  The person that helped me was quick and got me up and running very fast.  There are some steps you have to do (have to use Hamachi, install some codemeter software, etc.), but I got through them within a few minutes.

So far I have only been through a number of tutorial missions and have "watched" some standard missions so a little too early to know if I will be pulling the trigger on purchasing yet.  But so far, I am leaning that way.  Some initial comments.

- Graphically, I find the vehicles and surroundings more than adequate for my needs and I haven't even implemented any user mods yet.  I posted some screenshots in the "screenshot" thread, which are pretty nice to me.

-  Tutorials seemed to have been done really well.  Each vehicle has its own unique tutorials that walks you step by step through gunning, moving, controlling, etc.

- The tactical/strategy map seems well done.  Easy to see your situation and control things from there.  I have only scratched the surface there.

-  Just like any sim, it will take time to learn how to correctly control the vehicles but on first glance seems I will find it easier than controlling flights sims.

-  Tons of missions created by users available for download.  Seems like a lot of mods too, but haven't really looked yet.

-  I am no tank expert, but seems like vehicles move and act with purpose.  Haven't seen too much yet where it would suggest non-realistic things.  After a tank shoots, it just doesn't stand there waiting for return fire, it moves back and away, so not to be in the same position.  Also, you can use commands to tell the driver to find a battle position where they will find best spot around you to go hull down.

-  I have also watched a number of missions without even participating, sort of like a movie or re-enactment and I have greatly enjoyed that as well, without even touching the controls.

-  So far I have only controlled the action by keyboard/mouse, but it can support a joystick so going to try my x52 later today.

So with all the good comments, there really is only one thing that I am still trying to see if will hold me back from actually purchasing.  From what I can tell, the game is not just about being a tank commander, but also controlling all the friendly units as well in combined arms combat.  In multiplayer this wouldn't be a big issue since you can have people take control of things, but in single player which I mainly play, you are the commander for all forces, regardless of what position you take.  Therefore, you have to come up with and alter battle plans for everything.  On the surface that sounds cool, but I am not sure my brain can wrap itself around being responsible for it all and be effective.  One thing that is kind of nice when you control a platoon, your supporting tanks generally mimic your orders without you having to micro-manage by issuing them quick orders for spacing, formations, etc.  That helps make it a little easier.

I am hoping some other experienced Steel Beast players can jump in and give me their thoughts and/or tips.  At this point, I am strongly leaning towards a purchase, but still need a little nudging and assurance:)

undercovergeek

If you hop over to chelcos blog there's masses of immersive aars and tales over there, plus advice and guidance - more than once reading his posts has made me think about a purchase

Tinkershuffle

I haven't ever played the game but I've seen a few videos about it and this must be one of the coolest ones http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O6_qrgA-eQ. :)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 14, 2013, 10:05:19 AM
If you hop over to chelcos blog there's masses of immersive aars and tales over there, plus advice and guidance - more than once reading his posts has made me think about a purchase

Great...will check it out....not sure I will be able to resist this time through:)

SB Pro Player

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 14, 2013, 09:07:17 AM
From what I can tell, the game is not just about being a tank commander, but also controlling all the friendly units as well in combined arms combat.  In multiplayer this wouldn't be a big issue since you can have people take control of things, but in single player which I mainly play, you are the commander for all forces, regardless of what position you take.  Therefore, you have to come up with and alter battle plans for everything.  On the surface that sounds cool, but I am not sure my brain can wrap itself around being responsible for it all and be effective.  One thing that is kind of nice when you control a platoon, your supporting tanks generally mimic your orders without you having to micro-manage by issuing them quick orders for spacing, formations, etc.  That helps make it a little easier.

I am hoping some other experienced Steel Beast players can jump in and give me their thoughts and/or tips.  At this point, I am strongly leaning towards a purchase, but still need a little nudging and assurance:)

Try downloading and installing this set of scenarios:  Camp Hornfelt

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: SB Pro Player on July 14, 2013, 10:31:48 AM
From what I can tell, the game is not just about being a tank commander, but also controlling all the friendly units as well in combined arms combat.  In multiplayer this wouldn't be a big issue since you can have people take control of things, but in single player which I mainly play, you are the commander for all forces, regardless of what position you take.  Therefore, you have to come up with and alter battle plans for everything.  On the surface that sounds cool, but I am not sure my brain can wrap itself around being responsible for it all and be effective.  One thing that is kind of nice when you control a platoon, your supporting tanks generally mimic your orders without you having to micro-manage by issuing them quick orders for spacing, formations, etc.  That helps make it a little easier.

I actually downloaded every one of the single player missions last night:)  Haven't tried that one yet, but will.  Thanks!

panzerde

+1 to this.  These are really great for breaking out key concepts and helping you understand tank platoon command, how to use the map and UI, how to utilize supporting assets, etc.

Key point: always always always seek low ground for movement!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 14, 2013, 10:05:19 AM

Man, his write ups are good....just furthering my desire to make the purchase.....

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: panzerde on July 14, 2013, 11:02:09 AM

+1 to this.  These are really great for breaking out key concepts and helping you understand tank platoon command, how to use the map and UI, how to utilize supporting assets, etc.

Key point: always always always seek low ground for movement!

Going to give them a try as soon as I finish my mission of "cut the long grass in the front yard" :)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Tinkershuffle on July 14, 2013, 10:09:09 AM
I haven't ever played the game but I've seen a few videos about it and this must be one of the coolest ones http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O6_qrgA-eQ. :)

That is a great video showing real world vs the sim....thanks for sharing that, haven't seen before.

James Sterrett

So with all the good comments, there really is only one thing that I am still trying to see if will hold me back from actually purchasing.  From what I can tell, the game is not just about being a tank commander, but also controlling all the friendly units as well in combined arms combat.  In multiplayer this wouldn't be a big issue since you can have people take control of things, but in single player which I mainly play, you are the commander for all forces, regardless of what position you take.  Therefore, you have to come up with and alter battle plans for everything.  On the surface that sounds cool, but I am not sure my brain can wrap itself around being responsible for it all and be effective.  One thing that is kind of nice when you control a platoon, your supporting tanks generally mimic your orders without you having to micro-manage by issuing them quick orders for spacing, formations, etc.  That helps make it a little easier.

Different missions operate at different scales - so if you don't want to run the show, choose missions that only have a platoon on your side. 

I know that sounds a bit simplistic, but there it is.   Also, many missions come with a default battle plan, so you can in theory be a gunner and put sabots into things without worrying about the wider picture.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: James Sterrett on July 14, 2013, 03:19:26 PM

Different missions operate at different scales - so if you don't want to run the show, choose missions that only have a platoon on your side. 

I know that sounds a bit simplistic, but there it is.   Also, many missions come with a default battle plan, so you can in theory be a gunner and put sabots into things without worrying about the wider picture.

Yep, that is true....only problem I have with that unless I am missing something, when I go to download and/or review mission descriptions from the site, they are not clearly marked as to their scale.  I would have to open each mission to figure out the scale, unless I have overlooked an easier way.  Also good point about the battle plans and taking a single position.

When I first heard about being a tank commander, I got the impression (wrongly by myself) that you could just control one tank amongst the bigger picture of what was going on, regardless of the scale of the mission and whether a plan was already put together.  Thought an AI commander would give me orders and lead me around....go there, defend that, etc.  But I do realize that isn't the case.  Platoon is a good size for me too, just when you go above that, my head starts to spin:)

Still a good sim regardless of this....

jomni

Great Sim but it's a lot of work for me just like DCS so I don't play much.
I mostly do FSX civilian flying these days.  Which is also a lot of work.

Grim.Reaper

Anyone looking to see some cool co-op battles, take a look at these videos, especially the "Brave Rifles" series...pretty amazing on how they coordinate these large scale engagements.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwwpTMCr0aPc2FQcZgNFC5Q

Skoop

I think most of the missions marked as SP have a default battleplan.  The coop ones have no  plans usually and require a CinC position.

Man I can't wait for the M1A2 SEP.  The editor is actually pretty good too, you can open any mission and swap out vehicles if you like.  This will be fun to add M1A2 SEP to all those old classic M1 missions.

Definitely learn proper gunnery, it's a blast when you find a stealthy battle position and an unsuspecting company of t-72s start heading into your kill zone.  It's a rush to see how many you can bag before you have to displace.

There seriously must be several hundred missions to play for this sim.

One thing with the expensive price tag, it will resell high as well if you needed to part ways with your copy.  Knowing that I could probably make 3/4 of my money back ebaying it kinda helped me take the plunge.  After playing though, it's such a great sim that I'll keep it forever, the constant upgrades keep it fresh and new.