Did U know SPWaW has a Win7/Vista Fix for those PCs that didnt work

Started by gameleaper, July 23, 2013, 12:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

Hi If anybody is sad because SPWaW needs clicks to fire arty and colour is messed up on some win7 & Vista PCs there is a simple fix, the command script is on spwaw.com, and I added to the script from spwaw.com posts(go get it yourself)

SPWaW has got to be the best game ever created, and I got my Win7 running it like a dream, I thought my sytem was just incompatable.

Spwaw works on my windows8 with very slight arty clicking, SPWaW works perfect on lots of PCs XP Win7 Win8 etc... this script is for those PCs that don't. I would disconnect from the net while running but it seems ok, best to be sure

the script closes explorer and starts SPWaW on the second core, you can try just start mech.exe if you want, this has nothing to do with me , but I thought you guys should know about it.

here is the script
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------below

@echo off
@echo ================================================
@echo NCrawler's SPWAW Windows 7 color fix
@echo ================================================
@echo This fix closes explorer.exe, waits until it is closed and then launches SPWAW
@echo off

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
start /B /WAIT /AFFINITY 2 mech.exe
Start explorer.exe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gameleaper

SPWaW is free from many places matrixgames has links in the downloads tab for the game, I have to say though I would buy it from matrix as you get 4 Mega Campanigns costing a lot in the past.

SPWaW if you don't know is the nearest thig to the board game ASL .

I would also advise you to get the free SPWW2 and SPMBT also free from shrapnelgames.com but there is a paid enhanced version also worth it.

if you missed any of these games you need a nudge you will never play a better game

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

I actually have SPWaW saved onto CD with the early updates, and I'd love to plat it again. However, when I up-graded to Win7, I assumed that it would no longer work so did not bother to try and install it. Now it seems that there is hope after all. I shall look for the CD and hope it did not get dumped in one of those period clean-outs.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Great - not looked yet, so maybe a fresh download would be the way to go. Thanks Stagger.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Yskonyn

While I like the premise of the game I have a really hard time distinguishing all the units from the terrain...
Is there a way to make them stand out more?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

gameleaper

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 23, 2013, 07:28:37 AM
While I like the premise of the game I have a really hard time distinguishing all the units from the terrain...
Is there a way to make them stand out more?

Yes there are a few ways, there are graphic MODs, and Turn ID FLAGS on in preferences. the ENHANCED FINAL RELEASE MOD  does an amazing job on all the game, graphics, OOB, everything has been upgraded get the MODS here http://enhanced.freeforums.org/ and the ENH FR MOD is also on spwaw.com/downloads I think somewhere.

there is a NORTH AFRICA MOD just for Multiplayer, Ive now got a 1000 scenarios loaded and tons of campagns.

gameleaper

Quote from: bob48 on July 23, 2013, 06:31:39 AM
I actually have SPWaW saved onto CD with the early updates, and I'd love to plat it again. However, when I up-graded to Win7, I assumed that it would no longer work so did not bother to try and install it. Now it seems that there is hope after all. I shall look for the CD and hope it did not get dumped in one of those period clean-outs.

the script goes in a file with a cmd extention , you can find the file on spwaw.com on the forums  " SP:WaW Depot™ Forum Index -> General Discussion->Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix"

and more here about the second core "Tech Support by Members for Members->That Damned Artillery Screen Bug"

the file is just the script in a file named something like spwawfix.cmd just put it in the SPWaW directory and double click it

LongBlade

Thanks, Gameleaper.

I got it to run once on my Win8 machine, then it never worked again. This might be the fix I'm looking for!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

gameleaper

Quote from: LongBlade on July 23, 2013, 09:26:45 AM
Thanks, Gameleaper.

I got it to run once on my Win8 machine, then it never worked again. This might be the fix I'm looking for!

if you have more problems you can always download the free VMware player its free, then install an OS if you have one, it is a virtual PC and it runs SPWaW Im running it in it aswell on XP

gameleaper

Quote from: LongBlade on July 23, 2013, 09:26:45 AM
Thanks, Gameleaper.

As far as I know Windows8 runs it well on most systems, but try installing the Enhanced FR mod, I remember it can help some people.

gameleaper

the good thing about MODS is it uses SPWaW program called ModSwap , you can plug mods in and out as you like or even many mods

gameleaper

for those new to SP, don't forget to set the scroll delay in preferences or you will scroll to fast,.