For those about to Friday, we salute you!

Started by MetalDog, July 26, 2013, 05:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Quote from: Kushan on July 26, 2013, 02:10:23 PM
Quote from: mikeck on July 26, 2013, 11:53:05 AM
Can I ask what is the big advantage of pre ordering Rome 2?

You get to be one of the first to realize that the AI is going to charge its general into your phalanx line while the rest of its army routs as soon as combat is joined.

Boooooo! Boooooo!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Sigma One

Here's what on my desk literally for today: A Dragon's Milk bourbon barrel stout. 10% alcohol by volume, four are enough to knock you on your butt for the night!

Oh and possibly dipping into Mercenary Kings.

Aside from that, have a great Friday guys!

Huw the Poo

Oh, I forgot!  I will also probably take a look at Civilisation 5 because that immensely attractive, gloriously well-hung chap Eyebiter gifted it to me this week! \o/

Kushan

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 26, 2013, 02:16:37 PM
You get to be one of the first to realize that the AI is going to charge its general into your phalanx line while the rest of its army routs as soon as combat is joined.
Lol - I don't think you have a hope in hell of dampening any rome enthusiasm round here

Not trying to. I'm simply setting the bar low so that if Rome 2 actually turns out to be a good game I won't be disappointed.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Arctic Blast

I'll probably play some more Rising Storm, alternating between enjoying myself and wanting to kill everyone involved with the game. I might get back to Hitman : Absolution, or maybe start up something else purchased recently.

republic

I was playing Wargame:Airland and explaining it to my 5 year old girl.  "Why are you all fighting?"  "Because they are trying to take my land."  "But why don't you all just share?"

Lol out of the mouths of babes.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Tinkershuffle

The largest Finnish RPG/miniature/boardgaming convention, Ropecon, is on this weekend and there's no chance I would miss that!  8)

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Tinkershuffle on July 27, 2013, 01:43:00 AM
The largest Finnish RPG/miniature/boardgaming convention, Ropecon, is on this weekend and there's no chance I would miss that!  8)

We expect pictures down in the board/mini wargaming section of the forums!
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

Quote from: Kushan on July 26, 2013, 07:10:50 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on July 26, 2013, 02:16:37 PM
Lol - I don't think you have a hope in hell of dampening any rome enthusiasm round here

Not trying to. I'm simply setting the bar low so that if Rome 2 actually turns out to be a good game I won't be disappointed.
I've gone back toward being somewhat pessimistic on this one.  Hearing those American voice actors -- just like in the first RTW -- did not raise my confidence level any.  I know it's a ridiculously small thing to harp on, but to me it's a bad omen for the game's atmosphere/immersion.   

Quote from: republic on July 26, 2013, 07:22:51 PM
I was playing Wargame:Airland and explaining it to my 5 year old girl.  "Why are you all fighting?"  "Because they are trying to take my land."  "But why don't you all just share?"

Lol out of the mouths of babes.
Ha, that's cute.  Credit goes to your daughter for my first laugh of the day.  :D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Shelldrake

I wasn't feeling too good Friday so stayed home...but found the energy to put in a bit more time with my Shogun 2 campaign using the last Darthmod. I am playing the Hojo who are now masters of all the north and have now triggered the Realm Divide. Fortunately our Takeda allies have remained true and are siding with us in our war with the remaining clans. Interesting times...

Before going to bed I had anotehr go at Sea Lion 1942 which is the next mission in my campaign and was appalled at my losses just getting to the beach. I really don't see any way to get past the Royal Navy and Airforce without losing an unacceptable number of my core units. I may have to go back a few missions and see if I can get to Sea Lion 1940 which is supposed to be a bit easier.

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

WallysWorld

Finally finished Wars in America's Revolutionary War campaign as the British and I think I want to step away from the Ageod games for a little while.

Starting to learn East India Company.
Some Battleground Europe action.
And maybe some World of Tanks which I haven't played for a few months.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Kushan

Played about 20 minutes of the Witcher 1. Picked it up on sale a few months ago. My first impression of it is not good. So far I hate the combat system. Maybe it gets better as the game goes one or maybe I'm just used to the "twitched" based combat of Skyrim. My character just stands there getting hit rather then attacking. I'll do some research as to what, if anything, I'm doing wrong.

Played a few hours of CK2 the Old Gods as well. Only got a few years in until I accidentally gave away my two primary titles. Going to have to figure out what to do about Gavelkind succession. Apparently the old trick of giving all your titles to your eldest son when your main character reaches old age doesn't work anymore.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Toonces

So far I've spent several hours playing Evochron Mercenary for some reason. 

Going to spend some time playtesting Flashpoint Campaigns for a bit now.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Toonces on July 27, 2013, 10:31:47 PM
So far I've spent several hours playing Evochron Mercenary for some reason. 

How are you with the combat, Toonces?  I just can't get the hang of it.  I sometimes win if I'm able to divide the group up and take them on one by one, but even then I get blasted out of the sky with depressing regularity.  In terms of combat it's the toughest space sim I've ever played.