Computer wargames - Strategic interface.

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, July 28, 2013, 02:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

This is a proposal for a method of using math software with our games.

The goal is to have abstraction overlays on the map with games like TOAW, Steel Panthers, (Harpoon would be nice) etc.

One layer is player strength vs enemy strength. This is a topographic map type overlay with high numbers (elevation) high player strength, low numbers high enemy strength.
Another overlay on the map is strategic value. High numbers (elevations) show important areas that modify the strength of the player  controlling them. Key towns, bridges, production facilities, water supplies, etc.

So what I would like to see is data for units, locations, etc being exported to an excel type program for optimization software. Don't bother trying to recreate the optimization methods of real math programs. Focus on how you can get the data in a form that lets the player forget about the numbers, just focus on the strategy.

Then make the format standard. Players that have set up their models for optimization can reuse it in new titles increasing the value of those new titles to the player.

Let the player run turns forward against the computer (scenario testing) then export the real turn data to other players. I think this would be a far more challenging multiplayer game where people see their great plays hit opposing player great plans that are different from what is expected.

Please contribute your thoughts. Developers please take our gaming to the next level with this.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Herman Hum

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 28, 2013, 02:49:14 PM
So what I would like to see is data for units, locations, etc being exported to an excel type program for optimization software. Don't bother trying to recreate the optimization methods of real math programs. Focus on how you can get the data in a form that lets the player forget about the numbers, just focus on the strategy.
From what few public images that have been shown about the professional Harpoon version used by the military, this is function already available.  Logs appear to be generated for every contact, time, sensor, etc. that can be analyzed later.  The format appeared to be in a spreadsheet.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Mr. Bigglesworth

Interesting. Is there a version civies can use? My Harpoon was Win 95 era.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Herman Hum

A public/civilian version of computer Harpoon is available.  However, it does not include this tracking function.  The professional/military version is only sold to government agencies.

You can catch what looks like a glimpse of the function in operation at:

Look at the bottom left corner and I think that is part of the tracking data.  Supposedly, it creates an entire log/spreadsheet after the program runs.  This is only what I have surmised from their sparse public releases.

During my Harpoon travels, I also met a naval officer who wrote a similar tracking program.  From my quick observation of that program, it simply tracked various air and maritime units and their sensor states as they moved.  They would detect and record these events for later analysis or comparison.  IIRC, there was no combat resolution.  If this was necessary, other programs were used to resolve those situations.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions