Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny

Started by Nefaro, July 28, 2013, 05:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

No, not the old ROAs or the old action-slasher Blade Of Destiny.  A new version based on the old, surprisingly complex for their time, Realms Of Arkania DOS games. 

It's due out Tuesday the 30th, however the German version was evidentally released last week.

I haven't pre-ordered it, despite being able to save a few bucks, because I hadn't heard about it until I saw the pre-order pop up on Steam awhile back.  http://store.steampowered.com/app/237550/  Hearing nothing of it gave me pause as to whether it was just some quick slapdash job.  The graphics say "no" but an early report says it's buggy & has some issues.  Perhaps I'll have to wait until it gets some post-release updates?  I may just dive right in if I find that they've done enough bug swashing by the Steam release.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/realms-of-arkania-hd-remake-announced.80056/page-8#post-2784283

I have high hopes for this.  I'm always up for a good old-fashioned RPG and there has been a resurgence of them lately.  I had actually picked up the old DOS Realms of Arkania series on GOG over the past year and still occasionally dabble in them when I want to time travel.  :)

Huw the Poo

Yeah, I've been wondering about this too.  I have fond memories of the game from my Amiga days (despite the number of disks it came on) but something about this remake is making me think twice.  I can't put my finger on what it is though.

Nice to see they kept the original music!

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 28, 2013, 05:16:13 PM

Are you sure about that?  It sounds like listening to some terrible kid's show music meant for three-year olds.   I'd turn that off immediately, before going on a homicidal rampage and firebombing the studio that creates Dora The Explorer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O48-RBy7IU0

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 28, 2013, 05:16:13 PM
Yeah, I've been wondering about this too.  I have fond memories of the game from my Amiga days (despite the number of disks it came on) but something about this remake is making me think twice.  I can't put my finger on what it is though.

I felt the same way. What really stopped me was how they showcased all the beautiful 3D walking around but then switched over to a square, TBS battle system (good thing) that had some of the worst art and animation that I have seen (bad).
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

tgb

I WAS considering getting this Tuesday.  Not any more.

Sir Slash

I've been eyeballing it on Steam too. It looks worth watching. Also played the old Amiga version. I remember it having an "Orcs only" kind of monster list but maybe I'm wrong. It was a long time ago.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tpek

I've pre-orerdered the Steam version for cheap via GreenManGaming.
I'll try to give some impressions when I can.

Huw the Poo

Cheers Tpek, I'll look forward to reading!

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Same.

I expect many of the issues to be ironed out later on, since it's an indie operation.  One of the devs said it's currently an ongoing patch process.  There is also a launch update for NA although that probably won't be much since their last was evidentally Friday night. 

A question... how long was the original Realms of Arkania 3?  Was it pretty long?  Does anyone even remember that far back?  I had never played that one until I picked it up at GOG a short time ago, but haven't learned the game system enough to dive into it very deeply just yet.

Rayfer

Quote from: Tpek on July 29, 2013, 11:43:21 AM
I've pre-orerdered the Steam version for cheap via GreenManGaming.
I'll try to give some impressions when I can.

I look forward to your impressions.  I was interested in this remake until I watched the youtube video link posted above.  In the original games the combat was awkward in that it was very difficult to get a line of sight to a foe while using ranged weapons and ranged spells.  The update looked like it might have this same issue, it was hard to tell.

Nefaro

Keep in mind that this is going to also be released on GOG and Gamersgate (and maybe somewhere else) so you may prefer waiting it out anyway.  I'd rather pick up one from GOG than Steam any day.

Nefaro

Steam screwed up and released it a day early.  ::)

Evidentally the English localization wasn't finished yet so part of the text is in German until they put out the update that was planned for today. 

That's gonna cause even more complaining when people start buying it this morning.  Poor bastards.

I've gleaned that the old school rpg fun is there to be had once they get the language and some oddities fixed up.

Tpek

It was supposed to be released today.

Though from what I've read elsewhere, this was supposed to be the patched up version.
There was already a non-Steam release (in retail stores) that was in German and had some bugs in it.
The Steam version was supposed to be in English and come with the patch already in it.

SgtRock