Take on Mars early Access starts tomorrow

Started by MengJiao, July 31, 2013, 01:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

That is August 1, and I will be on vacation on sailboats and things and not playing any steam-based games.

Sounds fun (from the Bohemia site):

All of our vehicles are based on real vehicles, but made with customizable slots. This means that the large rover (similar to Curiosity) has many slots on top where you can mount instruments, antennas etc.

The Space Program has you starting with a small budget, launching your first lander to Mars. This lander has a low quality camera, to replicate the feeling of getting the first images of Mars. You then continue to improve your technology as you progress through the various missions, which consist of scientific analyses, exploration, and taking photos. For each mission you send a new vehicle, or, assign it to a vehicle already on the surface nearby, that can complete the mission. Thus, reusing vehicles for new missions is also possible.

As for vehicle customization, there is a whole section in the main control room where you can construct various setups (another section is used for assigning missions etc). The vehicle you construct may be tested in the space agency's "Mars Yard" (inspired by the one at JPL), and you can drive it around just like you would later on the surface of Mars. There are no consequences for testing, it is used to test whether the setup you have assembled is usable (for example if you put a drill on the top of a vehicle, it will be quite useless). You can save this as a preset and send it to Mars thereafter. Alternatively, you may start a new mission, assign a pre-defined preset, and customize that.

steve58

Thanks for the heads up!...didn't think it'd be available until later this year.  I won't be able to access it it myself this weekend, but will check it out later next week.

For $13 I couldn't/didn't resist.  Now gotta wait until next week  :-\

http://takeonthegame.com/take-on-mars
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

tgb

I'm confused.  This isn't the Mars space program thing that's competing with the new Buzz Aldrin game?  I got excited for a moment.

steve58

You're probably thinking of Race to Mars which did not make its Kickstarter, but is still trying...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

tgb

Quote from: steve58 on July 31, 2013, 07:36:44 PM
You're probably thinking of Race to Mars which did not make its Kickstarter, but is still trying...

My bad. Race to Mars is indeed the title I was interested in.

Jarhead0331

Anyone play yet? Looking forward to giving it a whirl tonight.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Nobody picked up the early access?!

Wow.. we really do have too many games if us addicts aren't picking up every interesting new one!  :o

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on August 02, 2013, 12:39:39 AM
Nobody picked up the early access?!

Wow.. we really do have too many games if us addicts aren't picking up every interesting new one!  :o

Depends on your definition of interesting:)  lucky for my wallet, at this point I dont find it interesting to buy:)

JudgeDredd

I've got paint I need to watch dry...but when it dries I'm all over this bad boy  :)

Seriously though I didn't really get into their non military Take On Helicopters - and (as I made clear in a previous thread) I'm just not sure how much "game" is in a space program "game"

But I'll keep my ear to the ground.
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

It looks interesting, but I think I'm over the whole early access/alpha build thing. The breaking point for me might have been seeing Steam offer early access/alpha stuff at a discount during the Steam Summer Sale.  :o
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

I toyed around with it last night, "toyed" being the key word. Its a neat little simulation. They have really captured the "magic" of looking at a barren wasteland through the lens of a video feed. ;)

Seriously though, it managed to keep me interested with basic scientific tasks, like capturing photos, testing the atmosphere and probing the soil. Each mission you accomplish gives you access higher tech and more complex lander parts. So, as the complexity of the missions ramps up, I think you'll generally be given more to do.

I've only performed two missions so far in victoria crater. My biggest disappointed at this point is that there is little to no participation in getting hardware to mars or landing on the surface. Its like, there is an unlimited number of landers floating around in orbit and once you deploy them, you just watch as they descend to the surface. Ideally, I would like to participate in lauinching and tracking space based vehicles, and then having some role in the whole landing process, other then merely selecting the landing site and pressing a button.

Overall, its a simulation that definitely has value, for those of us who enjoy doing things other than blowing stuff up, in our gaming. They are clearly planning a lot of content for it in the future, and I think they are hopeful that the modding community will really add a lot of content, just like the community has done for arma. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

I grabbed it as well but I still have not set up my WIN7 box after moving into my new house. Hopefully I can make room for it soon in the spare room among all my as-yet unpacked boxes.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

mikeck

Just seems a little....dry. I dunno.... Driving a remote control car at 2 miles an hour through the desert picking up rocks and dirt and sticking thermometers into the ground just doesn't seem that exciting. I think I will stick to blowing stuff up
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson