Paradox's Upcoming Game - Imperator: Rome ...Excellent News!

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 19, 2018, 06:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 27, 2019, 10:36:45 AM
I am confused.... you think it's absurd but your not against?

Sure. I don't really have much choice do I? I have to buy games somewhere.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Ian C on April 27, 2019, 12:31:58 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 27, 2019, 10:36:45 AM
I am confused.... you think it's absurd but your not against?

Sure. I don't really have much choice do I? I have to buy games somewhere.

I guess....just thinking if I was so much against something I probably wouldn't entertain picking it up...but if I think back, I am sure I have picked up something along the way that I didn't completely agree with.

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

JasonPratt

Quote from: mbar on April 27, 2019, 06:21:01 AM
James Allen from Out-of-8 said it goes to 27BC

Oh? Thanks! ...so, it's covering basically the same period as the most recent expansion for RTW2, starting from around the time of the barbarian sack of early Republican Rome (recovering before the Punic Wars kick off), and going up to within chipping distance of the Empire.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Ian C

Quote from: WallysWorld on April 27, 2019, 03:20:07 PM
Opinion on the game:Arch Warhammer's take on the game

On reflection, I thought I was being unfairly grumpy earlier but that review is damning. It's worth watching to the end.

JasonPratt

A rather mixed review/preview from iSorrow:

(Keeping in mind, he's a humor LPlayer, but he'll tend to give a serious opinion on a game if he thinks he ought to.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Ian C

mikeck

Quote from: Anguille on April 27, 2019, 12:32:04 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 26, 2019, 05:44:32 PM
I think the reactions upon release of SOTS2 were hardly mixed. They were closer to overwhelmingly negative...although it might have been before the review system was implemented. I simply don't see a comparison in any vein.
Bad comparison then. Still, i am surprised how strong the reactions are. I hope the game will recover because i see a lot of potential.

Right now, can someone tell me what is really different to Europa Universalis: Rome?

I loved Rome: Vae Victus (the expansion to EU: Rome). I would say that this game is as different from Rome EU as Europa Universalis IV is from EU II. It's far more complex, far deeper, updated graphics and everything. Entirely different game on the new upgraded engine. Rome was on the EU III/HOI III version I believe. Either way the new version is so much more complex in deep that I don't think you can really compare the two other than the general setting
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Kushan

I've been enjoying it. Not going to say more then that since the usual downer crowd around here will just piss and moan more about how its a bad game.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

devoncop

Quote from: Kushan on April 28, 2019, 09:01:52 PM
I've been enjoying it. Not going to say more then that since the usual downer crowd around here will just piss and moan more about how its a bad game.

Whisper it quietly....but ....so am I 😉

Playing a tough game as Epirus at the minute hampered hugely by having no access to iron (not initially horses....though that at least is resolved)....Macedon is a huge expanding presence I can do nothing about at the minute so having to try and play the long game.....
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Anguille

Quote from: mikeck on April 28, 2019, 04:16:17 PM
I loved Rome: Vae Victus (the expansion to EU: Rome). I would say that this game is as different from Rome EU as Europa Universalis IV is from EU II. It's far more complex, far deeper, updated graphics and everything. Entirely different game on the new upgraded engine. Rome was on the EU III/HOI III version I believe. Either way the new version is so much more complex in deep that I don't think you can really compare the two other than the general setting
Thanks for your opinion. As i like EU:Rome, i guess i will like this one as well...

Pete Dero

Quote from: Anguille on April 29, 2019, 03:36:09 AM
Quote from: mikeck on April 28, 2019, 04:16:17 PM
Thanks for your opinion. As i like EU:Rome, i guess i will like this one as well...

This shows the more complex features far better than most reviews I have seen.

Anguille

Jarhead0331

The guys here who are actually playing it all seem to be enjoying it. It's only the people who are searching out negative reviews to validate their opinions formed by reading other negative reviews who are complaining.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Ian C

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 29, 2019, 05:29:09 AM

The guys here who are actually playing it all seem to be enjoying it. It's only the people who are searching out negative reviews to validate their opinions formed by reading other negative reviews who are complaining.

Woah, I'm not a downer. I want to buy the game and have fun. Really want to buy it. It looks gorgeous and I like historical games - especially Rome.

As I said previously, I took absolutely no pleasure in seeing a review support my own thoughts about things.
I've not pissed over anyone, because as I clearly stated in a post:
QuoteThis isn't a criticism of this game in particular, but one on the whole game industry in general:

If you enjoy a game at release and it works for you, that's great. I can't criticize the individual experiences that we all have which are different for everyone

I see reviews which are currently persuading me not to buy the game and people have an issue with that? Why should that affect people who are already enjoying the game?

Guys...I already said if you are enjoying it - great for you. I don't begrudge you your fun. So don't begrudge me not wanting to buy it yet.