Just Can't Fix Stupid

Started by bayonetbrant, March 30, 2012, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 14, 2015, 10:33:16 AM
So CNN included this nugget in their article about Gary Busey's accident

QuoteLast week, reality TV star Bruce Jenner was involved in a multicar accident that left a woman dead.

silly me, I thought Bruce Jenner was famous for winning an Olympic medal

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/14/entertainment/gary-busey-accident/index.html

I see nothing but red whenever that idiot and the Kardashians are on television.

Centurion40

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on May 27, 2015, 10:59:56 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 27, 2015, 08:43:45 AM

Hooda thunk it? Ermagawd! Like totally.

In teenage girl speak, twin=look-alike.  I've heard my step-daughter say something similar.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Centurion40 on May 27, 2015, 12:58:00 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on May 27, 2015, 10:59:56 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 27, 2015, 08:43:45 AM

Hooda thunk it? Ermagawd! Like totally.

In teenage girl speak, twin=look-alike.  I've heard my step-daughter say something similar.

Hence my phrasing.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 28, 2015, 05:33:03 AM
There's "stupid" and then there's "you're so stupid you're f*ucked

http://news.usni.org/2015/05/27/breaking-tug-moving-u-s-navy-hospital-ship-may-have-struck-uss-arizona-memorial

So "may have" hit the white memorial? Either it did or it did not. How hard is it to tell if it hit the gleaming white facade of the memorial? I visited that when I was about 8 and I still remember it very clearly; it was huge and any strike on it would be damn hard to miss!

Worse would be if it hit the Arizona herself.

Somebody's just lost their maritime license and can look forward to a long and distinguished career at IHOP. :)

bayonetbrant

it looks like they just hit one of the docks that the tour boats pull up to that is attached to the memorial. The memorial itself seems to be OK on the reports that I saw

BanzaiCat

That was damn close, then. That huge hospital ship could have done some major damage.

bayonetbrant

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11675158/Police-in-stand-off-with-garden-ornament-they-thought-was-snake.html

QuotePolice were involved in a stand-off with a "snake" after being called by a worried resident - before realising it was a garden ornament.

Officers were called to an address in Sutton, south-west London, when a passer-by phoned the RSPCA saying a snake was "on the loose".

The RSPCA passed the information onto police at just after 6.30am on Friday and a patrol car went to the scene.

After arriving at around 7.17am, officers stood and watched the "reptile", but kept their distance from the "venomous adder", which was "lying very still on a patio" at a block of flats.

Soon after, officers were told by a local resident that the "snake" was in fact a garden ornament.

A police spokesman joked: "Officers refused to be rattled when they were called to a report of a snake lurking on a patio garden area to a block of flats.

"Police were called at 6.36am by the RSPCA who had received a call from a member of the public, who was especially concerned because the snake was spotted near local schools.

"Officers attended and viewed the reptile from the street about 2-3 metres away and repositioned themselves to take a photograph of it from above about 1.5 metres away.

"It seemed to have blended in with the colour of its surroundings - as if for its own protection.

"One of the officers attending observed, 'It wasn't moving but they can stay still for a long time. We didn't want to move in too close in case we disturbed it.'

"Officers then made enquiries at the flats - only for a resident to reveal it was a garden ornament!"

Steelgrave

Here in the US the first reaction would be to send SWAT in and snipe the damn thing, then claim it had reached for an officer's taser   :P

bob48

A police spokesman joked: "Officers refused to be rattled when they were called to a report of a snake lurking on a patio garden area to a block of flats.

Damned punners................
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Steelgrave

Nice one! And I don't usually get Brit humor   8)

Nefaro

Quote from: Steelgrave on June 15, 2015, 10:47:20 AM
Here in the US the first reaction would be to send SWAT in and snipe the damn thing, then claim it had reached for an officer's taser   :P

Naaa.  They'd gently catch and relocate it, with more care than an arrested human. 

Then, next year, the local Neo-Lib politicians would procure federal & state funding for a $3 Million "snake crossing" or some such bullshit.  Presumably to accommodate those poor creatures being so terrorized by people. 

bayonetbrant

Cops in Russia are publishing a pamphlet on where not to take selfies, as they're leading to too many deaths...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/08/asia/russia-selfie-death-brochure/index.html

QuoteRussian police are warning the public of a new danger: Death by selfie.

The country's police force is advocating for people to take 'safe selfies' in the wake of a string of deaths. According to Russian news agency Tass, there have been more than 10 deaths and about 100 accidents from individuals striking lethal poses this year.

"A cool selfie can cost you your life," the interior ministry states in a brochure which police will hand out to students and the general public.

The two-page guide contains infographics that resemble road signs, most of which are based on actual incidents -- such as the case of a 21-year-old Muscovite who accidentally shot herself in the head and a teenager from the Ryazan region who died after trying to take a photograph of herself on railway tracks.

Among the precarious situations they warn against are taking selfies with animals, on rooftops and with exposed live wires.

"Along with all the advantages of the modern world there appear new threats," Russian official Yelena Alekseyeva said at a press conference.

"We would like to remind the citizens that the chase for 'likes' in social networks can lead to the road of death."