Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

^Wow. 60" monitor??? :o   And I thought my 43" 4k was too big!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

How do you click buttons on the keyboard with VR running? Or is there a VR hand to move to the appropriate things in the cockpit?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 03, 2019, 02:03:08 PM
How do you click buttons on the keyboard with VR running? Or is there a VR hand to move to the appropriate things in the cockpit?

Everyone has their own preferred method. The cockpits in the study level modules are all fully clickable so there are a number of ways of interacting with the switches and knobs without using the keyboard in the traditional way. You can use the mouse to point and click, the VR controllers to point and click, or even the headset by looking at the switch and then clicking a button on your mouse, controller or HOTAS. I use a combination of mouse and headset look for just about everything.

There are peripherals in development, like Captoglove, that will bring your hands into the virtual world to interact with the cockpit directly. There are also cameras being tested on Oculus headsets to do this without the glove like peripheral. The inside out cameras can sense your hands and their position in the VR world.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

^ Whoa, that sounds cool.

Skoop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 03, 2019, 01:13:13 PM
^Wow. 60" monitor??? :o   And I thought my 43" 4k was too big!

Bigger's always better.  I'd get an 8ft high 4k projector if I had the space and my wife would sign off on it.  (the warthog project guy on youtube has one)

This is where VR can be argued as more practical and cost effective.

Jarhead0331

Not sure I agree that "bigger is always better".
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

So the F16 is sweet. Missing quite a bit of stuff obviously but flyable and enjoyable and very nice. It isn't my fav though. Currently that's F-14 (but more probably due to reminiscing and features like the RIO and the Pheonix) and then the F/A-18 which just seems to be one powerful, kickass bird.

Early days.
Alba gu' brath

Thomm

Sorry, but I have to ask:

Don't you guys get seriously sick playing flight simulators in VR?

Negative g's and all that?!

Best regards
Thomm

Yskonyn

It does take some getting used to as your brain gets trained to disconnect eyesight and feeling, but in flightsims i've found the issue to be much less pronounced as in shooters or games where you 'walk' as a character.

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Thomm

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 04, 2019, 04:21:53 AM
... but in flightsims i've found the issue to be much less pronounced as in shooters or games where you 'walk' as a character.

Good to read.

One of my few experiences with VR sets was a car racing sim.

After 10 minutes I felt hangover-class nausea for half an hour. It was bad.

I thought that flight sims must be even worse.

I must add that the car spinning out of control motion seemed to cause the most damage. Which actually fits well with your statement about shooters (=turning rapidly).

Best regards,
Thomm

trek

What's the verdict on flying the F-16? I've got it but I'm busy playing CCTBF and UA: Dreadnoughts right now so I haven't had a chance to play any DCS. How's it compare to say the Hornet?

Redwolf

Speaking of F-16s and hardware...

I just got an adapter from gameport to USB and played with my stone age CH Products F-16 stick again.

Woah. Talk about a difference. So smooth and evenly moving. It looks like it might be possible for me to fly in a straight line after all. Quality hardware.

Destraex

Quote from: trek on October 04, 2019, 01:55:07 PM
What's the verdict on flying the F-16? I've got it but I'm busy playing CCTBF and UA: Dreadnoughts right now so I haven't had a chance to play any DCS. How's it compare to say the Hornet?

I am in the same boat. However I also need a nee joystick.
I see on facebook that some people are rather negative about the early state of the F16. So take your time.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

^Its pretty outrageous that people are complaining about the state of the Viper. People bitch and moan when a module doesn't get released and people still bitch and moan when it does get released. Unbelievable.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

^ I agree, they made it pretty clear it's an EA work in progress.