Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbar

Some of the aircraft might only be available in the beta branch. Check DCS Steam Properties > Betas. Just a guess. I do not know if that is the issue as I am running the standalone DCS.

Yskonyn

True, the early access modules can only be flown in the open beta, but IMO there is very little reason not to install the OB.
You'll get the latest toys and bugs there will always be in DCS. Its perfectly playable in OB.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Redwolf

I subscribe to the open beta in steam.

I still couldn't find a way to use those 2-day demo planes. I think it is probably not supported on Steam.

Bardolph

You have to go to the current "free" plane's page on Steam and hit the "Play" button there for it to download the plane so you can access it. I haven't had any trouble trying the ones they have done so far.

mikeck

Hell, just buy 'em. You know you're going to anyway
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

SirAndrewD

I'm honestly trying to to just buy the whole damned thing and a Thrustmaster Warthog.   
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: mikeck on March 25, 2020, 08:52:30 PM
Hell, just buy 'em. You know you're going to anyway

Heh.   :)

Jarhead0331

I'm really disappointed the Super Carrier module got delayed to 4/15. Was really hoping it would take my mind off things.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Eurofighter inbound!!!!  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

We are thrilled to announce that the Eurofighter Typhoon is on its way to DCS World!

To bring this advanced fighter to DCS, a brand new company, TrueGrit Virtual Technologies has been founded specifically for the challenge. The TrueGrit development team is led by Gero Finke, a highly experienced former Typhoon Instructor Pilot with 15 years experience on type and an additional 10 years as a weapons instructor on the mighty F-4 Phantom – a total of 3'000 hours of military jet flying. Gero was station commander at one of the world's most famous fighter bases of all time, the 71st Tactical Fighter Wing at Wittmundhaven, Germany, formally known as the Red Baron´s legendary "Jagdgeschwader Richthofen" and Squadron Commander at Jagdgeschwader 73, Steinhoff. Today, Gero's dev team has substantial programming and design experience. This professionalism combined with Gero's exceptional active-duty and operational knowledge is very promising for DCS and the future of this exciting new module.

Their 3D designer has a background working with Airbus, Grob, Eurocopter, Luftwaffe and also with Heatblur on their DCS: F-14 project.

The lead coder has had substantial experience with various simulator projects, both in the air and ground combat realm. Two other coders with Ph.D.'s in physics and mathematics will lead the programming of the Typhoon's extremely complex flight model.

In addition to Gero's personal input and contribution to this highly detailed simulation, the team has excellent access to a number of Subject Matter Experts such as former instructor pilots, weapon instructors and maintenance personnel.
Their team size stands at 15 today but they are always on the lookout for experienced coders to continue to grow. 

See more development screenshots below.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/dcs-world-by-eagle-dynamics/eurofighter-on-the-horizon/10163459711725341/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

Saw that, will be interesting to see how this turns out.  This will be the German variant and every nationality has its own variant with different features.

Yskonyn

They always claimed a module would only get a DCS stamp if it could be developed from enough released info so it would be a proper simulation. Surely the Eurofighter still has much classified equipment?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Skoop

True, the German variant doesn't seem to be the most advanced version of it probably on par with the in game f-16.  I wonder if the 3rd party devs are given more flexibility hence the jf17.

Redwolf

Did DCS (on Steam) change the music in the launcher.

You used to get different music depending on which aircraft you used as the splash screen. Now all aircraft have the same "wallpaper music".

Anybody else noticed that?

mikeck

Well, it came out around the same time as the F-16c block 50. Difference is that we had decades to study and observe the capabilities of the airframe and earlier models. I'm my opinion, the typhoon and Jeff are entirely too new to have accurate data as to their capabilities. The eurofighter is a gen 4+ whereas all others are gen4 (no, the JF isn't that good in real life). I don't like having one aircraft
Just dominate (like when the JF came out with range the only limitation. After all, we we're told no super hornet because it's too new.

Now, the Europeans needed another jet outside of the Viggen and Mirage....but how about the f'in TORNADO! Or at least the French Rafael which has been out longer.

Hell, why not the F-22 and f-35 if we are going to introduce complete
aESA radars, Leo
Observability and all sorts of new tech?

REALLY wish they would have gone the other way: tornado, F-4, F-111, su-24, etc
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

I finally got to the point where I felt I could tackle the F-14. It really isn't too difficult but I would never want to start with it. It's an amazing module and aircraft. I can't believe how detailed it is. The sounds of the switches clicking and the aircraft rattling are amazing. Having flown the AV-8b for a short time to learn, then moved into the F-18 and eventually the F-16....I got a bit tired of aircraft being incomplete. Things like the F18 still not having an xmit jammer, ground radar, etc

It's a fabulous module and a blast to fly. No fly-by-wire....I've had to learn to fly the plane and not just move the stick and throttle. But man, there's something fun about flying an analogue plane compared to the fancy MFDs of the F-18 and F16