What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Digital only, or real books too?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Whatever works. With Amazon prime and Kindle you can lend books: Lend or borrow Kindle books

We could also exchange books using media mail which is fairly cheap in the USA.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I could open up my own book store with what is in my to-read stack. Two stores with my have-read stack.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TacticalWargames

I have a massive yet to read list aswell. I started to burn out on WW1 and WW2 hence the many unfinished books. None of them aren't finished because they are no good either. So bought Nightlords omnibus a WH40K book and loved it so bought a few more as you can see:). Not as bad as my Dad, he has well over a hundred books he hasn't read and he reads slow. Prob wont live long enough to read them all. He says he collects them, drives my Mum nuts. It's not even like I want to read them either. All thrillers, lots of Wilbur Smith etc etc.

WH40K
The Grey Knights Omnibus
Blood Angels Omnibus Vol1
Blood Angles Omnibus Vol2
The Founding
The Saint (had this for ages, bought it not realising it was the second. Managed to get a second hand copy of The Founding and it's in more or less perfect condition)
Ultramarines Omnibus

WW1 and WW2
Stalingrad Cauldron
Besieged (not finished it yet)
Into Oblivion (again need to finish it
German Army on the Western front 1915 (The latest Jack Sheldon book. The series has been superb))
Otherside of the Wire Vol 2 (need to finish i)
It Was the War of the Trenches (Graphic Novel)
Fear (WW1 novel)
Crack of Doom (same author as Cross of Iron. Also called Savage Mountain, so don't get fooled as I did and buy both)
Moscow by Theodore Plievier (His Stalingrad novel was excellent). http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stalingrad-Theodor-Plievier/dp/0583124674/ref=tmm_pap_title_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403291487&sr=1-2
Berlin by  Theodore Plievier
Playing the Game
Six Weeks (need to finish)
Eastern Inferno

mirth

I finally  started 'On Basilisk Station'. I have to admit, it is better than I expected.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

That.  Is.  FREAKISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I pulled up to a customers house this morning and she was having a yard sale.  She had several boxes of paperbacks, a dollar a piece or three for two bucks.  So, being the addict I am, I looked through them.  I found one I had never heard of that looked promising.  I also found the first 'Thieve's World,' anthology and a copy of 'On Basilisk Station!'
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

I have a number of WoT hard copies I don't need anymore (since I have them on Kindle now), paperback up through book 5 (I started collecting around the time Book 6 was released), and then 1st edition hardbacks up through Book 9 at least maybe Book 10 (I'm not at the house and I don't recall if I bought Book 10 sight unseen, but I know I held off bothering to read it until the series finally ended.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

vyshka

I finished up Robert Wilson's Spin tonight. Starting to read Neil Gaiman's American Gods.

Staggerwing

Quote from: vyshka on June 22, 2014, 02:07:09 AM
I finished up Robert Wilson's Spin tonight. Starting to read Neil Gaiman's American Gods.

American Gods is one of my favorite books. I re-bought it again in hardcover just so I could have it up on my favorites shelf to pull down and read again every few years.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Martok

Am now on Path of Daggers, book 8 in the Wheel of Time series.  There were a few chapters in CoS where the pacing was sluggish, but overall it honestly was still just fine. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Toonces

I'm slowly working my way through The Knights of the Cross, or Krzyzacy.  It sort of slogged through the second quarter of the book, but right after the 50% mark it has become very exciting. 

Kind of a tough read until you get used to Sienkiewicz's style of writing (and the translation of course), but typically worth sticking with.

Oh, did I mention it's free for Kindle on Amazon?  http://www.amazon.com/Knights-Cross-Krzyzacy-Henryk-Sienkiewicz-ebook/dp/B004TQ6HCQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403472341&sr=1-1&keywords=knights+of+the+cross

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

OJsDad

Reading Invasion Alaska.  The premise for it is so-so believable, but the writing is really bad.  Author doesn't seem to know much about the US military, which is really taking a lot away from the book.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

^Can you give some humorous examples? The first thing I ever learned in a writing class was 'don't write what you don't know.'

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 22, 2014, 06:45:57 AM
Quote from: vyshka on June 22, 2014, 02:07:09 AM

American Gods is one of my favorite books. I re-bought it again in hardcover just so I could have it up on my favorites shelf to pull down and read again every few years.

Ditto.