bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

BanzaiCat

Nobody has the spine to stand up to these puns.

bob48

'Clip those corners'

GDS_Starfury

dont judge a book by the punner.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Martok

BACK TO THE TOPIC...  >:( 

Just finished The Gathering Storm in the WoT series, and will begin The Towers of Midnight when I get up this evening.  Sanderson's writing is holding up so far.  It's different, of course, but not bad for the most part. 

Also, I wrapped up The Klingon Art of War a couple days ago.  It's an easy recommendation for any Trek fan. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bob48

Yes, Star. Back on topic!

I'm just finishing 'Hobart's 79th Armoured Division At War' by Richard Doherty. A very interesting and informative read.

'Clip those corners'

BanzaiCat

Currently reading All Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings. Now up to late 1940/beginning of 1941. It's an interesting take on the war.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Martok on September 18, 2014, 10:39:37 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on September 18, 2014, 09:01:20 AM
Quote from: Martok on September 17, 2014, 01:12:37 PM
I'm now just about halfway through The Gathering Storm in The Wheel of Time...and pardon my Klingon, but holy fucking shit!!  :o 

In a loose sort of way this was Moridin's plan the whole time, which seems self-defeating but then (as subsequent books indicate) Moridin really just wants to finally die -- which doesn't make much sense of his behavior in earlier books, and seems rather retconny.  ::)

Consequently when this fails, Moridin effectively gives up for the final two books and just hopelessly marks time.

Fortunately, the real Nae'blis takes over.  >:D
Huh?? 

What the frak are you talking about, Jason?  I was referring to [REDACTED SPOILERY THINGS FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T READ THAT FAR YET]

Me, too. The Dark One has been pushing for something like this to happen the whole time, with Moridin somewhat spastically trying to follow suit (but has trouble doing due to jealousy etc.)

Once the situation is solved, Moridin fatalistically figures Team Chosen has almost no chance of winning this round, again, and more or less gives up, though it takes a little while for him to realize the general plan failed so he's still managing things throughout most of ToM.

(Including a very annoying tease suggesting a fan theory about Sammael having survived and gone into hiding, instead of dying lamely off-camera back in ACoS.  :buck2: I figured I should nix any hope you may have along that line, rather than have it dashed later.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

I am about half way through "Berlin Diary" written by Shirer.  He also wrote: The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

Berlin Diary was the #1 seller in the USA in 1941.  It is observations by a foreign correspondent in Europe.

Greybriar

I read Shirer's books years ago. He was "Johnny-on-the-spot" and an eyewitness to what was happening in Germany during those years just prior to World War II. I think you made a good choice, Airboy.  O0

As for me, I just started reading Empire Falls by Richard Russo.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: bob48 on September 30, 2014, 04:32:28 PM
Yes, Star. Back on topic!

you are among the last people thats allowed to play that card.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Martok

Am now over 3/4 of the way through Towers of Midnight.  I can barely put it down; talk about a page-turner! 

Sanderson was obviously bound and determined to resolve as many loose threads and secondary storylines in this book as possible.  It's not a bad thing, really, but the pace is almost breathtaking at times.  (And I thought Knife of Dreams moved quickly!  Sheesh...) 

Minor spoiler:  When Perrin names his new weapon (after forging it), I'm not gonna deny I got a big lump in my throat...and tears in my eyes.  Now *that's* good writing. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Airborne Rifles

I finished The Lion's Gate by Stephen Pressfield about the Six Day War. Really good read, especially his interviews with the Israeli pilots about the initial attacks on Egypt and Syria. Highly recommended.