What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: MetalDog on November 16, 2014, 06:01:15 PM
UCG, for your own sanity, DON'T start The Wheel of Time!  You'll regret the time you wasted when you finally give in to the wall of words that no longer have any meaning because Jordan has used them repeatedly, ad infinitum, or written so many of them that even the spelling of the word, a, no longer looks correct.

lmao - i trust Martoks reading suggestions - if theres an author out there who can raise a lump in his ice cold, soulless throat i want to see what its about - admittedly thats 20000 pages from now!

ill get the first 3 and if i dont enjoy ill come back here and ask you for a suggestion MD

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

To be fair, what usually kills people with bitter, bitter resentment, isn't the first 3 books, but somewhere from Book 6 onward.

Still, you go UGeek! Keep us updated. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Greybriar

Quote from: MetalDog on November 16, 2014, 06:01:15 PM
UCG, for your own sanity, DON'T start The Wheel of Time!  You'll regret the time you wasted when you finally give in to the wall of words that no longer have any meaning because Jordan has used them repeatedly, ad infinitum, or written so many of them that even the spelling of the word, a, no longer looks correct.

I read the Wheel of Time series and I don't think it's *that* bad. But, as they say: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

MetalDog

Agreed.  But if I can save just ONE person from the time they spend with that series THAT THEY WILL NEVER GET BACK...I will consider my life well lived.   ;D

airboy

Quote from: MetalDog on November 17, 2014, 08:42:13 PM
Agreed.  But if I can save just ONE person from the time they spend with that series THAT THEY WILL NEVER GET BACK...I will consider my life well lived.   ;D

Agreed.  I got about 50% into book #2 when I realized what a succubus Robert Jordan was.  If you want to read 10 well edited books - read the Chronicles of Amber.

BanzaiCat

if I can save just ONE person from the time they spend with that series THAT THEY WILL NEVER GET BACK...I will consider my life well lived.   ;D

This is what I would tell anyone wanting to read Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 17, 2014, 10:02:35 PM
if I can save just ONE person from the time they spend with that series THAT THEY WILL NEVER GET BACK...I will consider my life well lived.   ;D

This is what I would tell anyone wanting to read Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series.

Too late- I made it all the way to (and through) Homeward Bound.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

Quote from: airboy on November 17, 2014, 09:58:35 PM

Agreed.  I got about 50% into book #2 when I realized what a succubus Robert Jordan was.  If you want to read 10 well edited books - read the Chronicles of Amber.

I will heartily second The Chronicles of Amber.  The first five are better than the second five.  And they are not 900 page monsters, either.  If I could find my trade paper of all 10, I would check for page count, but, it can't be much more than ~ 800.  About 2000 pages in originally published form, I would guess.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 17, 2014, 10:20:19 PM
Too late- I made it all the way to (and through) Homeward Bound.

Oh, Stagger. Why would you do that to yourself? It's like going to a 17-hour reading of The Vagina Monologues at a local high school drama club. I got through the first four books and kept thinking, "Surely something is going to happen...surely SOMETHING is going to happen...okay...nothing's happening."

That series...SO many words, SO much Harry said, and yet, SO little interesting about it. I kept expecting some kind of major twist...and nothing. It's like most of his other books...it's pretty much just "Hey, check this world out. Isn't it cool? Well, uh, no, not really much is going on. But, but, but...hey! Space aliens!"

Yawwwwn.

He has some amazing ideas...but his execution is dull, his characters shallow and unfulfilling, and the stories always seem to ponder along like an elephant on weed. What's amazing is that's pretty much EVERY book he's written, and trust me, I've tried several of his books/series. It's the same damn thing, every time.

I know some of you guys love his work, and more power to you for deriving enjoyment from it. He's just not for me.

Staggerwing

It gets worse- I also read the entire Southern Victory series as well. I need help...  :idiot2:
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Grey, did you ever finish off WoT when Sanderson took the reins?

Airboy: Okay, now I have a horrible mental image of RJ dolled up as a succubus...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Greybriar

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 18, 2014, 09:21:05 AM
Grey, did you ever finish off WoT when Sanderson took the reins?....

I finished reading what Robert Jordan wrote. I haven't read any of the Wheel of Time books that were written by Brandon Sanderson after Robert Jordan's death seven years ago.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

GB, you should definitely take some time and finish off the series with the trilogy finale.