What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Just for you, Jason (especially since it takes one to know one 8) ): 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

TacticalWargames

I agree..my favourite series after LOTR.

Quote from: mirth on December 15, 2014, 12:01:33 PM
Quote from: vyshka on December 14, 2014, 06:45:53 PM
Magician, Silverthorn, and Darkness and Sethanon by Feist

Great series. One of my favorites.

Airborne Rifles

Just finished Hell to Pay: Operation Downfall and the Invasion of Japan, 1945-1947. Its an academic examination of the Allied plans for the invasion and the Japanese plans for the defense, and of the thinking behind the dropping of the atomic bombs. Lots of numbers, especially up front when the author is discussing draft numbers and replacement streams to the Pacific, but I really enjoyed the thorough treatment that the logistics of the invasion gets. It would truly have been a horrific affair.

My grandfather's division was slated to go in to Kyushu in the initial wave and he's always told me how amazed he is today that we were willing to sacrifice whole divisions on secondary objectives.

http://www.amazon.com/Hell-Pay-Operation-DOWNFALL-1945-1947-ebook/dp/B0052LJC1K/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1419038876&sr=1-1&keywords=hell+to+pay

Gusington

Sounds like a good read...I may pick that up if the price is right.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Finished Strands of Sorrow - the conclusion of the 4 book Zombie Apocalypse series by John Ringo.

Also finished  Russian Sideshow: America's Undeclared War, 1918 - 1920 about the US intervention in the Russian Civil War.  This intervention was so screwed up it reads like the French in the Franco-Prussian War.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on December 19, 2014, 08:33:13 PM
Just finished Hell to Pay: Operation Downfall and the Invasion of Japan, 1945-1947. Its an academic examination of the Allied plans for the invasion and the Japanese plans for the defense, and of the thinking behind the dropping of the atomic bombs. Lots of numbers, especially up front when the author is discussing draft numbers and replacement streams to the Pacific, but I really enjoyed the thorough treatment that the logistics of the invasion gets. It would truly have been a horrific affair.

My grandfather's division was slated to go in to Kyushu in the initial wave and he's always told me how amazed he is today that we were willing to sacrifice whole divisions on secondary objectives.

http://www.amazon.com/Hell-Pay-Operation-DOWNFALL-1945-1947-ebook/dp/B0052LJC1K/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1419038876&sr=1-1&keywords=hell+to+pay

I want to check that out. My tendency would be to make a big excel model of the logistics.

Since it is far from the field that pays my bills, I will probably never get to it.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

Just started A Mad Catastrophe: The Outbreak of World War I and the Collapse of the Habsburg Empire by Geoffrey Wawro.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Kushan

I'm halfway through the last Game of Thrones book. After that I don't know. Given my current love affair with EUIV I'm looking for something about that period; 100 years war, War of the Roses, 30 Years War, Habsburgs Dynasty, Italian Wars, etc. Anyone have any recommendations?
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Greybriar

I am reading The Finish: The Killing of Osama bin Laden by Mark Bowden.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

OJsDad

Quote from: Kushan on December 24, 2014, 11:23:09 AM
I'm halfway through the last Game of Thrones book. After that I don't know. Given my current love affair with EUIV I'm looking for something about that period; 100 years war, War of the Roses, 30 Years War, Habsburgs Dynasty, Italian Wars, etc. Anyone have any recommendations?

Probably not what you're looking for, but you could give these a try.  Pretty quick reads.

http://www.unitedstatesofvinland.com/
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Pinetree

Just started Sacrifice - book 5 of the Red Gambit series by Colin Gee.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Shelldrake

I just finished Cain at Gettysburg by Ralph Peters. Just as good as The Killer Angels IMO.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Shelldrake on December 29, 2014, 07:42:58 AM
I just finished Cain at Gettysburg by Ralph Peters. Just as good as The Killer Angels IMO.

I enjoyed that one. I really liked Meade finally getting a fair shake in a civil war book.

Skwerl

Compendium: An Expedition Into the Rock 'n' Roll Underworld - Julian Cope

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus