Airborne Rifles

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 31, 2014, 06:08:00 PM
christmas amazon splurge -

War of the Roses Trinity - Part II

Valour - Book II of the Faithful and the Fallen

Eye of the World - Wheel of Time part 1

Arc Light

When Christ and his Saints slept

Arc Light is a really enjoyable WWIII read. Starts out nuclear and then goes conventional. If you like the author, I'd really recommend Protect and Defend too.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: bbmike on January 01, 2015, 05:01:44 PM
Speaking of the Pacific, Eagle Against the Sun: The American War With Japan should be here this Saturday. I've been on a WWII Pacific kick lately. I'm about to watch Tora! Tora! Tora! again.

somewhere in the depths of the internet is the Pacific mod for CC3.  ymmv
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Currently burning my way through The Taliban Don't Wave -- that was a great recommendation upthread somewhere!

UCG, we all wait to jump up and down, or up and down on you, for your impressions of TEoTW.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bob48

The Road to Koniggratz: Helmuth Von Moltke and the Austro-Prussian War 1866

Just ordered this off amazon with the remains of a gift voucher.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

bob48

No, I must have missed that one.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MetalDog

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 02, 2015, 12:39:44 PM
Currently burning my way through The Taliban Don't Wave -- that was a great recommendation upthread somewhere!

UCG, we all wait to jump up and down, or up and down on you, for your impressions of TEoTW.  >:D

Last chance before you actually pick it up and go past the point of no return, 'geek.  DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Save your sanity, man!  AND all the time you will never get back slogging through until you finally realize you've made a HUGE error!!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Greybriar

I just started reading The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson for a change of pace.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bbmike

Quote from: Greybriar on January 02, 2015, 08:51:00 PM

Was that the one with Hitler?  ::)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

Now that's what I'm talking about Greybriar.  Something light and easy on the brain.

Greybriar

Quote from: bbmike on January 02, 2015, 08:59:53 PM

Was that the one with Hitler?  ::)

I don't think so. The setting so far is in New York City.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

GDS_Starfury

"Hitler gets a Bagel and Lox"

W8taminute

Just finished reading 'Ships of Mercy' by Christos Papoutsy.   
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Damn you and your autobiographical sketches, Bawb. Just put "The Road to Koniggratz: Helmuth Von Moltke and the Austro-Prussian War 1866" into my Amazon cart.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm slogging away though a pretty poor novel I bought on a Kindle sale a few weeks back.  It's called The Rendition by Albert Ashforth and it kinda sucks.

Once I finish that, I have a few others that I bought recently and I'm not sure which I'll read next.

I bought the first two novels in a historical fiction series by Phillip McCutchan.  They're called Drums Along the Khyber and Soldier of the Raj and concern a British officer in colonial service near the end of the 19th century.  The Victorian era of history is the one I find most fascinating so I'm a sucker for anything about the period.

I also bought two non-fiction books.  One recounts the experiences of a soldier in the Rhodesian Light Infantry during the civil war in Rhodesia/ZImbabwe in the 70s.  It's called Fireforce.   

The other is called Forgotten Victory: First Canadian Army and the Cruel Winter of 1944-45.  It's about the Canadian push into the Rhineland during Operation Veritable.  I don't know much about the specifics of the operation other than that it was a pretty miserable experience and more akin to WWI battles in the mud and trenches than the usual WWII experience. 

Any picks on which to read first?