What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

^Looks like you may have already done that.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Wish I could say I already made my mark on that.

But some things are better left undiscovered, which is precisely why one does NOT bring a blacklight to a La Quinta Inn.

Gusington

Truer words are rarely spoken.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

I am currently reading Righteous Fury by Markus Heitz.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Nefaro

Got a few chapters into Shadowrun: Borrowed Time earlier this week. 

Not some new revelation in storytelling plots, but thus far it's been an engaging read in the cyber-magic-noir IP.

I can see myself burning through this pretty quickly once I start in again, which is a good sign.

Greybriar

I just started reading This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong.

Talk about a change of pace!
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Pinetree

I've finished the first volume of The Black Company Chronicles, aka as The Books of the North, and what a brilliant series, best fantasy I've read in a long time. I've now moved on to The Books of the South.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Gusington

Never read Books of the South, but if you're digging Glen Cook try An Empire Unacquainted With Defeat, a book of short stories set in the same fantasy universe.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Also, currently reading Byzantine Armies 325ad-1453ad by Dimitris Belezos. It's similar to the classic Osprey Men at Arms series but bigger and badder and on steroids.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Just finished 'First Blood' by Charles Whiting, which dealt with the Battle of Kasserine.

Good read. First book I've read totally through Kindle.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

The movie adaptation was generally better overall.

:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

I've finished all of my reading for the 2015 Hugo Award ballot.  I have a couple of recommendations out of it.

"The Triple Sun: A Golden Age Tale", Rajnar Vajra (Analog, 07/08-2014) = 1.  Awesome planet exploration and understanding an alien race mystery.  This is a short story.  It is one of the best SF short stories I have read in decades.

Three more short stories were also very good:
"Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust, Earth to Alluvium", Gray Rinehart (Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show, 05-2014) – Enjoyed it a lot.  Aliens conquer a small Earth Colony and this is a plot by a dying man to use below ground burial to hopefully end the servitude.

"Championship B'tok", Edward M. Lerner (Analog, 09-2014) – very good story about a small group of aliens captured by humanity, their spy operations to gain freedom, and internal spy operations to overthrow the current alien leadership.

Big Boys Don't Cry, Tom Kratman (Castalia House) – enjoyed it.  Story about a AI type battle tank, its battles, and its betrayal for scrap.  This is not quite as good as the others - but if you enjoyed the Hammers Slammers series you would probably like this.

My final recommendation is a very odd read for me:
The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison
This is a SF story about a planet with multiple races.  The protagonist is a half-breed, young male who is 5th in line for a Chinese Court type throne with despotic powers.  The boy is an exile with a very poor tutor who also mentally/physically abused him.   The Emperor and the next 4 in line for the throne are killed in a Zeppelin type crash - and the boy suddenly becomes Emperor and has to decipher all of the ways of the Imperial Court and establish his reign.  The book is somewhat slow to develop, but really sucked you into a totally different culture, world view, and alien world.

Nefaro

Quote from: Greybriar on July 13, 2015, 11:10:29 PM
I just started reading This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It by David Wong.

Did you read the first one, John Dies At The End

I suppose you saw the movie based on it.

Greybriar

Quote from: Nefaro on July 17, 2015, 12:38:38 AM

Yes, I read the first book, John Dies at the End. But I haven't seen the movie yet.

Nefaro

Quote from: Greybriar on July 17, 2015, 01:20:01 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 17, 2015, 12:38:38 AM

Yes, I read the first book, John Dies at the End. But I haven't seen the movie yet.

They did a pretty good job on the movie, especially considering the budget.  Some great acting in there;  whomever ran casting did a wonderful job. 

Obviously they had to pick & choose bits to fit into a move that's an hour & a half but it's well worth watching.   Still on Netflix and I think one of the premium movie channels also plays it on occasion.