What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Hip deep in, "Germany Ascendant" WWI in the east 1915. So far just as good as the first book but not gooder, and the annoyingly poor maps continue.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Those who Dare by Phil Ward is a kindle freebee today. It is one of a series of "historical fiction", if that makes sense. Maybe revisionist historical  fiction?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

airboy

I've been reading a bunch of Terry Pratchett Diskworld books.

Finished: Going Postal.
Rereading: Mort
Purchased: Small Gods.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Airborne: The Combat Story of Ed Shames of Easy Company

Is $1.99 today. AR probably has it already, if not, heads up!

Staggerwing

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 13, 2015, 06:13:58 PM
Airborne: The Combat Story of Ed Shames of Easy Company

Is $1.99 today. AR probably has it already, if not, heads up!

Thanks!

Lazy Link for the rest of you...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

Barthheart

Remember this plea from our Glorious Leader when shopping at Amazon:

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=14554.msg386356#new

O0

Martok

When I moved earlier this summer, I discovered (to my everlasting disgust) that at some point I'd apparently managed to permanently misplace several of my favorite Star Wars novels, including all three books of Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy.  >:(  Feeling a strong desire to reread them, and having concluded (after repeated failed searches of my remaining unpacked boxes) that I wasn't going to find them again, I finally bit the bullet a couple weeks ago and re-ordered them from my local bookstore.  When I picked them up (shortly after Labor Day), I'll admit I suffered a pretty bad case of nerd rage seeing that lame-ass "Legends" banner across the front of all three books, but at least I had them in my possession again. 

In any case, I'm now reading the series for the first time in ages (it's quite possibly been ten years at this point), and I'm definitely enjoying it; I'd already plowed through Heir to the Empire last week, and will finish off Dark Force Rising tonight, leaving The Last Command to get me through my next seven-day work stretch (or at least through the weekend).  I'll admit I wasn't sure how much I'd like the books now that I'm a little older, but I'm happy to report they still seem to hold up pretty well.  It's good to know Zahn's magic hasn't lost its touch for me.  :) 

Quote from: Nefaro on August 25, 2015, 06:42:52 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 24, 2015, 01:25:45 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 24, 2015, 01:17:16 PM
I also just finished reading This Book Is Full Of Spiders.

O0

A web novel?

Written with someone like Martok in mind.
I still don't think I wanna know... 

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on August 29, 2015, 06:15:40 PM
I'm reading a dull book, which is not bad.
How so?  Are trying to go to sleep or something? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Mr. Bigglesworth

Welcome back Martok, you cut your way past the web that had cornered you?

It's like textbooks, sometimes you consume dry food for the protein. If you need to know, you read it.

Martok

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 19, 2015, 04:13:50 PM
Welcome back Martok, you cut your way past the web that had cornered you?
Thanks Kev!  Yeah, my life is slowly, finally beginning to return to a semblance of normalcy.  :crazy2: 

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on September 19, 2015, 04:13:50 PM
It's like textbooks, sometimes you consume dry food for the protein. If you need to know, you read it.
Ah, gotcha. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

bbmike

Martok! Thank goodness you have returned! We worried about your absence in this thread as well!  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Martok

Hey bbmike!  Good to see you.  :) 

Damn LongBlade anyway.  Why must he create a politics thread I'm compelled to actually follow (and possibly participate in)?  Grrr...  ::) 

besilarius

Now, Martok, appreciate that you were missed.  We could just as easily have celebrated with dance and song.  (Don't check LB's garbage cans.)

For World War II afficionadoes, a book that might round out your understanding of the Allied drive in France is Jacob Devers - A genral's life.
A number of other books have mentioned the feud between Ike and Devers, and that Bradley could be tactically inept.  (Heurtgen Forest, e.g.)  A pretty good look at the southern drive in France.  Speculates on what could have been accomplished if there were a southern push, coordinated with Patton's drive in the center.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Scott Anderson

http://www.amazon.com/Lawrence-Arabia-Deceit-Imperial-Making/dp/0307476413

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus