What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Its definitely the first book. Second is 'Post captain' and third is 'HMS Surprise' :-)

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: bob48 on December 22, 2015, 11:10:27 AM
Its definitely the first book. Second is 'Post captain' and third is 'HMS Surprise' :-)

The swines marketed the set in the wrong order.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

Did you guys like the M&C movie? Not ever having read it, I love the movie.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Airborne Rifles

The movie is a mashup of several of the books, and it's great. Really catchiest the spirit of the books and the characters.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Gusington on December 22, 2015, 10:42:50 PM
Did you guys like the M&C movie? Not ever having read it, I love the movie.

It's a very good movie but they made a few major changes to the story in order to make it marketable to a wider audience. It combined the stories from Master and Commander and The Far Side of the World and changed the bad guys to the French instead of the Americans.  It also cut out a lot of detail about whaling as the Brits were trying to defend their Pacific whaling fleets from the American raider.  I thought the film's climax was better than the novel's but I won't spoil that ending here.

bob48

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on December 22, 2015, 11:37:01 PM
The movie is a mashup of several of the books, and it's great. Really catchiest the spirit of the books and the characters.

Absolutely right, AR.

'Clip those corners'

Martok

Watching the movie (which I own) is what made me want to sit down and read the books in the first place. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bob48

Honestly, invest the time - you won't regret it I assure you.

'Clip those corners'

besilarius

Aubrey and Maturin are both good, but honestly preferred Bolitho or Ramage more.
If you're finished with O'Brian's, do yourself a favor and check out these two other series.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bob48

Quote from: besilarius on December 23, 2015, 07:22:28 PM
Aubrey and Maturin are both good, but honestly preferred Bolitho or Ramage more.
If you're finished with O'Brian's, do yourself a favor and check out these two other series.

Ramage is not bad, and we have all the Bolitho books, as Mrs.B prefers those. I found that the Bolitho character went a bit too 'soft' after author Douglas Reeman remarried (to a younger wife), the later books are definitely not as good as the earlier ones. However, the books he published under his own name, especially those about the Royal Marines, are pretty good.

For period flavour, O'Brian is still top of the bunch.

'Clip those corners'

Martok

Just about finished with Red Storm Rising.  Up next:  Either Hell's Foundations Quiver (which I got for Christmas) or a re-read of Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy (I finally picked up my own copies a couple months ago).  Decisions, decisions... 

Quote from: bob48 on December 23, 2015, 05:16:17 PM
Honestly, invest the time - you won't regret it I assure you.
I believe you.  Time to move it up to near the top of my list, I think.  I haven't spent any time in the sub-genre since I read Forester's Hornblower series, and I'm definitely feeling something of an itch. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Just cracked open The Illustrated Guide of Weapons of WWI edited by Chris Bishop.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

One of my sons gave me 'The Winter war. The Russo-Finnish war of 1939-40' by William R Trotter, so I'll be getting stuck into that. Not read much about the Russo-Finnish war.

'Clip those corners'