What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on July 10, 2016, 03:34:24 PM
Quote from: mirth on July 10, 2016, 01:31:39 PM
Just finished Empires of the Sea by Roger Crowley. Now starting City of Fortune.

Empires of the Sea is by far my favorite Crowley book. Really enjoyed 1453 as well.

I loved it. Very well written, incredibly readable. The little details were fantastic. I'm looking forward to reading all of his work.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Conquerors was good but not his best. Read it if you're a Crowley fan.

Started Book 2 of the Warrior of Rome [King of Kings] series by Harry Sidebottom yesterday and already read 100 pages of it, which is very fast for me. Books 1-3 are set in the Roman East (vs. the Sassanids) in the 3rd century, Books 4-6 are set in other theaters. Great books and Sidebottom is a great writer.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

I read Empires of the Sea in a few weeks. Granted it's only about 300 pages, but that's fast for me and a history book. I tend to savor and reread a lot. I devoured Empires. One of the best books I've read in the past five years.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

You'll like Conquerors then. Sounds like you read at about the same pace I do.

If you like late Roman history try Sidebottom!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on July 10, 2016, 10:09:55 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 10, 2016, 08:11:33 PMtry Sidebottom!

Oh, I've tried side bottom.

Wasn't Side Bottom the original title for Star Trek V?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

Clouds of Glory: The Life and Legend of Robert E. Lee by Michael Korda. At 700+ pages, that should keep me busy enough that I don't need to worry about getting any 'Side-Bottom'.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

You want Sidebottom. You need it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

At my age it's tough for me to handle 'side' much less 'bottom'.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pinetree

For some of us it's difficult to find where "side" starts and "bottom" ends
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Gusington

Read the damned books and eat your damned oatmeal, all of you.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

But Mom, I'm afraid I'll get oatmeal on my Sidebottom.  :-[

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Just finished The Conquering Tide by Ian Toll.  I found it a little too triumphalist in tone and not nearly as informative as The Rising Sun by John Tolland.

I'm taking a break and reading some light fiction now.  Just started Into the Storm by Larry Correia.  Reads like a novel based on the Dishonored PC game.

After I finish this, I'm going to start The Secret War: Spies, Ciphers, and Guerrillas 1939-1945 by Max Hastings.

Gusington

Into the Storm you say?

*runs to Amazon*

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd