What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Quote from: BanzaiCat on September 12, 2017, 12:36:53 PM
Not a bad read. Not anywhere near RSR, but still it scratches the massive-modern-tank-battle itch, which I think is kind of a fetish around here.

I reread RSR after a longest time a while ago. Funny thing was there was hardly any tank battles there, despite them being what was stuck to my mind. Sea and sea-air related battles for most part, and a long incursion in Iceland.

Haven't read Bear and Dragon, just might pick it up. Why not.

Mmmm. Massive modern tank battles  :nerd:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Has anyone tried Larry Bond's Red Dragon Rising series? I quite enjoyed the Korean base Red Phoenix books, two of them, but these are cowritten while Red Phoenix wasn't.

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

BanzaiCat

Yeah, we've mentioned Bond a time or two here, I think. I know I posted something about Red Phoenix, something unflattering most likely. :)

I know I read it way back in the day and thought it was okay. I confuse Bond with Coyle sometimes (I really liked Sword Point, but just can't get through Team Yankee).

mirth

Not a Larry Bond fan. I did read Red Phoenix back in the day and thought it was 'meh'.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Crossroads

Quote from: BanzaiCat on September 12, 2017, 03:02:59 PM
Yeah, we've mentioned Bond a time or two here, I think. I know I posted something about Red Phoenix, something unflattering most likely. :)

I know I read it way back in the day and thought it was okay. I confuse Bond with Coyle sometimes (I really liked Sword Point, but just can't get through Team Yankee).

I read Team Yankee before RSR, it was probably the first WWIII book I recall reading. A fun book with guys wearing white hats easily beating the commie intruders  :))

I never (bothered) read any other Coyle books, might give Sword Point a try. Why not.

Crossroads

Quote from: mirth on September 12, 2017, 03:26:49 PM
Not a Larry Bond fan. I did read Red Phoenix back in the day and thought it was 'meh'.

Korean War books  :smitten:

mirth

My local library has Bond's Red Dragon series so I decided to give the first one a try. Hopefully I like it more than his other works that I've read.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

airboy

I enjoyed Red Rabbit - but that was a book about smuggling people out of Russia.  No tanks, RPGs or other things that go boom.

mirth

I didn't think it compared to Clancy's earlier spy-thrillers like Cardinal of the Kremlin, Patriot Games, or Clear and Present Danger. Red Rabbit was remarkably dull for a Clancy story.

Staggerwing

Quote from: BanzaiCat on September 12, 2017, 03:02:59 PM

IIRC, Team Yankee was Coyle's first book. He had the tech stuff down but was still trying to find his characters' voices.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

I remember a comic series done about Team Yankee, which I hate to admit I actually liked a lot more than the book.

airboy

Quote from: mirth on September 12, 2017, 07:03:18 PM
I didn't think it compared to Clancy's earlier spy-thrillers like Cardinal of the Kremlin, Patriot Games, or Clear and Present Danger. Red Rabbit was remarkably dull for a Clancy story.

Greatly enjoyed Cardinal and Patriot Games.  Clear and Present Danger needed to be cut by 25%.

Airborne Rifles

I was very disappointed with The Bear and the Dragon. That was my last Clancy book I think. Not very much military action, and it all gets resolved in one night of wonder weapon attacks.

Crossroads

Quote from: BanzaiCat on September 12, 2017, 07:40:46 PM
I remember a comic series done about Team Yankee, which I hate to admit I actually liked a lot more than the book.

I have a Team Yankee board game on my shelf, picked one from a seller at BGG a couple of years ago. Haven't played it yet, but happy to have it sitting there looking absolutely gorgeous.

TY is weak especially on the little infantry action it has, but the tank action more than makes for it, and for the plot, too. Then again I am a fool for any protagonists shouting LOAD SABOT! UP! so there's that.

I have Red Army on my bookshelf to balance TY, the Decadent West has it coming on that one.

Crossroads

Quote from: mirth on September 12, 2017, 04:26:39 PM
My local library has Bond's Red Dragon series so I decided to give the first one a try. Hopefully I like it more than his other works that I've read.

Cheers, give us a holler as what you think. It is co-authored I believe, so will keep it further down the reading queue for a while.  O0