What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I'm more than halfway done with Lost to the West: The Forgotten Byzantine Empire That Rescued Western Civilization by Lars Brownworth. It's a nice little popular-level narrative history from the arrival of Diocletian (setting up context of Byzantium) onward, mostly focusing on the Emperors and their generals and close relatives plus some patriarchs and popes crossing across the stage occasionally (and similarly high-level leaders of neighboring nation/cultures, naturally). Nothing jumps out as hideously wrong, except I don't think the Syrian (and other eastern) monophysite Christians would have welcomed the new Muslim invaders for the theological reasons the author briefly presents. (Monophysites were, and are, still trinitarian Christians with a high Christology; they would not have appreciated the low or rather non-Christology and simpler monotheism of the new arrivals, who in turn definitely did not find the monophysites kindred theological spirits as the author occasionally remembers to note. ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

trailrunner

Sir Slash

"Nothing Like It In The World-- The Men Who Built The Transcontinental Railroad 1863-1869" by Stephen Ambrose. Hope it's not a Train-Wreck.  ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

You'll just be chugging along, and then the story might get derailed.

Gusington

Just started Beyond the Northlands - Viking Voyages and the Old Norse Sagas by Eleanor Rosamund Barraclough.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 04, 2018, 11:19:57 AM
"Nothing Like It In The World-- The Men Who Built The Transcontinental Railroad 1863-1869" by Stephen Ambrose. Hope it's not a Train-Wreck.  ;D

I have this somewhere. Don't think I ever finished. Ambrose can be hit or miss for me.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on January 04, 2018, 01:25:39 PM
Just started Beyond the Northlands - Viking Voyages and the Old Norse Sagas by Eleanor Rosamund Barraclough.

Oooh... shiny!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

It's a quick read, I will be done soon. Want me to ship it to you? You'd frickin' love it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

trailrunner

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 04, 2018, 11:19:57 AM

I read that about 10 years ago.

Sir Slash

Don't tell me how it comes-out. I'm betting on the Mormons.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 05, 2018, 02:48:09 PM
Don't tell me how it comes-out. I'm betting on the Mormons.

To do what?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Roll over and become the 45th state.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on January 04, 2018, 10:15:24 PM
It's a quick read, I will be done soon. Want me to ship it to you? You'd frickin' love it.

Deal!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

^PM me your address...(I had it for our Secret Santa but have since deleted it).

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

I'm working on The Clockwork Universe right now.  Picked it up at the library when I took Bayonette over there just to get out of the house for a bit.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers