Is it just me or is this wrong

Started by TheCommandTent, December 28, 2012, 10:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

Is it just me or is there something wrong with this.  Maybe its just the way I read and took the article but it seems to me that someone is using the whole Conn. school shooting and their kid to try and make a quick buck.  I really hope I am wrong about this.

QuoteA $100 million claim on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor is the first legal action to come out of the Connecticut school shooting that left 26 children and adults dead two weeks ago.

The unidentified client, referred to as Jill Doe, heard "cursing, screaming, and shooting" over the school intercom when the gunman, 20-year-old Adam Lanza, opened fire, according to the claim filed by New Haven-based attorney Irv Pinsky.

"As a consequence, the ... child has sustained emotional and psychological trauma and injury, the nature and extent of which are yet to be determined," the claim said.

Pinsky said he filed a claim on Thursday with state Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr., whose office must give permission before a lawsuit can be filed against the state.

"We all know its going to happen again," Pinsky said on Friday. "Society has to take action."

Twenty children and six adults were shot dead on December 14 at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The children were all 6 and 7 years old.

Pinsky's claim said that the state Board of Education, Department of Education and Education Commissioner had failed to take appropriate steps to protect children from "foreseeable harm."

It said they had failed to provide a "safe school setting" or design "an effective student safety emergency response plan and protocol."

Pinsky said he was approached by the child's parents within a week of the shooting.

http://news.yahoo.com/claim-seeks-100-million-child-survivor-connecticut-school-003646074.html

The fact that the lawyer was approached within a week of the shooting seems way to soon for someone who actually was a legitimate case and isn't in it just for the money.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

IMHO I'd cut the kid and her parents some slack. That's some hard core stuff they went through. The attorney OTOH.... 'approached by the parents' my ass...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Longdan

Which are better for chasing ambulances? Pumas, Adidas or Nike?
It is a litigious society.  Love it for what it is.  Surprised nobody has sued
the gun makers and vendors yet.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

LongBlade

Quote from: Longdan on December 28, 2012, 11:30:39 PM
Surprised nobody has sued the gun makers and vendors yet.

I'm pretty sure they have. Without success.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Just saw this on tv...it made me nauseous.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jejo68

ah few more of those and you go from feeling sorry to meh in a heartbeat. seriously f*cked up

Gusington

^Edited for potty mouth, remember this is the "family side" of the forum.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

I feel that no amount of money is equal to a human life. People who try to make their fortunes by taking advantage of a catastrophe like the one in that school disgust me.

It seems to me that some people are driven only by their greed.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Longdan

If you look carefully at risk management statistics used
by governments and insurance companies and law courts
you will find there is a cash value to a human life.
You will also find that we are evaluated on a sliding scale.
digni enim sunt interdicunt