WarPlan -- new game announced from Matrix Games

Started by al_infierno, May 08, 2019, 12:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronX

The Dubloonie sucks. The game needs to be pretty special at that price.

Barthheart

Quote from: IronX on October 24, 2019, 02:30:00 PM

Yeah... and I'm not convinced of that yet....

-budd-

Quote from: IronX on October 24, 2019, 02:30:00 PM
So how many things do you see in the screen shots you change😉

I'll probably pick it up this weekend. I really enjoy the SC games and this looks just like you have to consider I bit more.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Ian C

It's very enjoyable.
I'm very engrossed in my first game as Germany with the 1939 start. I'll gladly answer any questions.

Geezer

I generally like Hubert's SC series but IMHO the naval mechanics are unrealistic.  Far too easy for enemy ships to move in, attack, and move away with no interception or meaningful response from friendly ships in the immediate area.  So I'm curious how naval combat works in WarPlan.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edit - I do see some naval discussion page 2 here so I'll also check that out more closely.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Ian C

Quote from: Geezer on October 25, 2019, 08:09:39 AM
I generally like Hubert's SC series but IMHO the naval mechanics are unrealistic.  Far too easy for enemy ships to move in, attack, and move away with no interception or meaningful response from friendly ships in the immediate area.  So I'm curious how naval combat works in WarPlan.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edit - I do see some naval discussion page 2 here so I'll also check that out more closely.

I know the SC series very well and have played most of them. Naval combat isn't the same.

In Warplan you can stack naval groups in the same hex and can sortie them to an unknown enemy naval presence in a hex but they don't automatically find them or start combat until a successful search is accomplished - which is not all the time. It is more or less difficult to find the enemy and start combat depending on the size of your group and the enemy group and the mode to which the enemy naval groups are set (Fleet or Raider mode). There's something called a naval 'Night Move' (read the manual!).

In play, I've sent out groups to where the enemy was and couldn't find them. Also my U-Boats while raiding came into contact with UK fleets that couldn't find them at times.

Also worth noting is that Oil plays a big role as well as resupply. Large fleets will cost a lot of oil usage. Also, you can resupply naval units at sea with Fleet Oilers (abstract units which you buy and expend).

I'm also impressed with the way they have abstracted Logistics points which restrict the maximum size of land sea and air forces you can build and it maintains historical realism. No more doom stacks of units steamrolling across Russia or Africa. Supply is well-done and it's impossible to ship massed armoured forces to North Africa without severe bottlenecks squeezing you dry of oil.

I like the game a lot and it does have that 'one more turn' thing about it.

Manual is here and it's really worth a look before buying as it covers all features: https://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/PDF/WarPlan/Warplan%20manual%20printer-friendly.pdf

Geezer

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

W8taminute

Short take on my game experience so far.  Spent about 20 minutes last night as the allies in a new 1939 campaign.  My initial impression is positive. 

I will comment more when I get some more experience under my belt.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

Looks like I might have found something for my anniversary coupon:)

MOS:96B2P

I'm enjoying it so far.  Now to deal with the Soviet Union.  What could go wrong?  Just need to kick the door in.............  ;D

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Geezer

I would be interested in hearing if the game does a good job with Soviet troop strength.  My feeling was Hubert's SC underestimated Soviet manpower levels leading to the Axis easily knocking them out of the war early.

Ian C

Quote from: MOS:96B2P on October 26, 2019, 04:44:18 PM
I'm enjoying it so far.  Now to deal with the Soviet Union.  What could go wrong?  Just need to kick the door in.............  ;D

That's one of the reasons I'm enjoying this so much. The map size is a feast of game. The AI turn length is also quite fast compared to other games too.

Quote from: Geezer on October 26, 2019, 05:55:57 PM
I would be interested in hearing if the game does a good job with Soviet troop strength.

From the manual, it appears it does but I've yet to get to that point in the game to see it working for myself.

I must say, this game is the closest I've ever come to experiencing that tabletop feel. I played Avalon Hill's Third Reich and SPI's ETO back in the day and this has the same classic feel.

I also really recommend reading the manual as there are many features not immediately obvious if you play the game without having read it first, such as beachead supply, night moves, HQ's ability to call tactical air strikes, garrison mode, splitting off divisions from a Corps, defend/hold mode etc.

Geezer

Thanks Ian.  I have downloaded the manual and will look it over.  Please keep your impressions coming.   :clap:

rocketman

Is there a setting for Fog of War? So far what I've seen from screenshots is that all units are visible at all times. Correct?