Battles! Magazine finally getting next issue out

Started by bayonetbrant, June 22, 2013, 07:32:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GibbyG

With how expensive it is, do you feel like the magazine is worth the cost?

bayonetbrant

It's the best wargaming magazine I've ever seen or read.  The games are pretty good, but the articles are excellent.  Command, C3i, Paper Wars, or any other magazine aren't anywhere close to this one.  S&T articles are good historical articles, but Battles! has much, much better wargaming articles and analysis.  And you'll never find any better art/photography/layout/design in any gaming magazine than Battles!

Now, all that said, I'm a contributor, so I get mine for free, but don't go get it for my meager contributions; go get it because it's hands-down the best wargaming magazine out there.

Staggerwing

I know you've posted the link before but would you mind posting it again?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

Olivier just posted to FB

Quoteit's Friday, and 20 minutes ago, the counters arrived at home ! yes. And they look great. They're free! they're free ! (and in my van, driving from Toulon to Bayonne, there was this "The Great Escape" feeling)

Some pics will follow.

Shipping monday and tuesday.

Guys, Ladies & Gentlemen, thanks a lot for your patience.

bayonetbrant

funny comment about shipping over on Battles! message board at CSW

QuoteMy local postman receives all my mail at the central office and then rolls 2d12 to decide how many days out he brings it to my house.

Today he brought me a bag of women's hosiery addressed to someone who lives 20 blocks away. I'm keeping half for myself and forwarding the rest to Winslow.

GJK

Brant: it's early and so I may just be a blind bat at the moment, but I don't see where on their site on how to subscribe, what the subscription rate is, if there is a discount for subscribing as opposed to ordering individual issues and what the shipping costs would be to ship to (what I assume is) overseas to the USA.  I see where I can order individual issues, but not what their subscription policy is.

If I'm not just a blind bat this morning, perhaps you could mention to them that that type of important information should be readily available when someone clicks (or is automatically redirected to as the case is) the "subscription" page for the magazine.

Otherwise, it looks really good and I would be quite interested in knowing that information.  Seeing that they lost countersheets for the latest issue is a bit disturbing though; that coupled with the note/joke in the sidebar about their 3-month distribution taking a year but I understand it's a niche magazine and not Gentlemen's Quarterly.  :D
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

JudgeDredd

There's a "Order this Product" button up on the top left (after you click the issue)
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GJK on December 03, 2013, 06:51:37 AMSeeing that they lost countersheets for the latest issue is a bit disturbing though; that coupled with the note/joke in the sidebar about their 3-month distribution taking a year but I understand it's a niche magazine and not Gentlemen's Quarterly.  :D

They didn't lose the countersheets. 
The counters for this game include a bunch that are 2- and 3-hex wide lines of pikes.
The sheets needed to be redone b/c they were mis-cut the first time.
When the re-printed counters were on their in through customs, they got held up because they were in the same container as some - let's say "contraband" to maintain plausible deniability - and customs wouldn't release anything in the container 'til their investigation was done.
The magazine has been done for a while, and the first 7-8 issues came out with no real problems.  It's just been #9 that was insanely late b/c Vasey had a game with wacky counters in it that had to go outside France for printing.

GJK

Quote from: JudgeDredd on December 03, 2013, 03:18:42 PM
There's a "Order this Product" button up on the top left (after you click the issue)

Right - to order a single issue.  I'm curious about subscription rates and if there is a discount from the regular price if you do subscribe.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer