When is the Ogre Designer Edition Going on Sale?

Started by RooksBailey, November 16, 2013, 11:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I did get a notice that shipping had been miscalculated (the game weighed more than the publisher said it would) and would be an extra $9-$14. I told NWS to go ahead. I'll shoot them an email and see if they were able to do so and ship. I'll let you know what they say.

I just noticed that the listing for Ogre isn't there anymore and TheWarStore.com shows it as being in stock as opposed to on pre-order. I'm assuming that Chris over at NWS has sold through his allotment and removed the link.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Cool, because I don't see it listed on their site any longer.....

Staggerwing

Just heard back from Chris at NWS. He said that the game should ship in a week or two.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Barthheart

So... I'm out Christmas shopping today and stop by my FLGS and spot 2 copies of this monster sinning on the floor 'cause it doesn't fit on any of their shelves I'm told.
Price tag 99.99 CDN.

Very tempted to buy it but I know full well my wife will kick my ass fer spending that much on a game.

Is it worth the risk? It does look very cool up close and personal......  :P

LongBlade

Quote from: Barthheart on December 01, 2013, 12:28:27 PM
So... I'm out Christmas shopping today and stop by my FLGS and spot 2 copies of this monster sinning on the floor 'cause it doesn't fit on any of their shelves I'm told.
Price tag 99.99 CDN.

Very tempted to buy it but I know full well my wife will kick my ass fer spending that much on a game.

Is it worth the risk? It does look very cool up close and personal......  :P

OGRE/GEV are classic light wargames. I think this version is about components. IIRC they're made on thick cardboard. The game system itself is cool. Light, but cool. Great intro wargame or light fare between bigger gaming rounds. There are less expensive versions out there (maybe on Ebay) but if you don't mind the cost I suspect this will be cool. I own some of the pewter minis from about a decade ago. Those are cool, too. Depends on how you want to play the game and how much you want to pay.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

Yeah, I already have the original versions of Ogre and GEV... so it' definitely all about the components....

Gladius

I rec'd my Kickstarter copy about two weeks ago, played a solitaire run through it myself, and then this weekend played a big game with three other people.

It's very wargame-light. The rules are the same as they were in my copy from 1980, although they include all of the GEV and other expansions. I could easily see playing this with my 11 year old nephew.

The main thing you're getting is a giant version of the game. The thing weighed 28 pounds - I'm surprised that shipping was so little for you. $80+shipping is a bargain considering the KS backers got it for $100. That included a few pieces of swag (a giant canvas bag that the box fits in, that I can't ever imagine using, a t-shirt, and a bunch of extra counter sheets). There are so many chits and 3D models in this thing that I don't expect I will ever build all of them - you certainly don't need even a tiny fraction of them in order to play a big scenario.

They also have a free iphone app to keep track of your Ogre damage, or you can use the included reproducible damage sheet.

Attached is a photo of the stack of counter sheets that I didn't need to punch out to play the tutorial game. I probably punched out 6 sheets in addition to these.
Valar morghulis!

Staggerwing

QuoteThey also have a free iphone app to keep track of your Ogre damage, or you can use the included reproducible damage sheet.

That's such a shockingly simple idea I'm surprised that I have not hear of other board game developers using it.