Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

I'll go and have a look this time. Its time to see where this stands with my own eyes.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Good Lord!  :o

...I'm glad they're starting tomorrow. It might take two days to download and install.  :dreamer:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Destraex

A friend in my star citizens facebook group posted this article and everybody responded with shock and awe saying they did not know it was this bad. THere is a video somewhere that I posted (not sure if it was here) that had all of this information and more years ago. You take a risk when you kickstart. But the media is just going over the same ground over and over again and the same shocked people come back to re-iterate the I told you so lines. Well the fat lady has not sung and the teams all over the world are still working. Don't buy into it, but if you have. Enjoy the ride like I am. What else can we do? Be thankful that it's not dead like so many other investments perhaps?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Yskonyn

If the article has any truth to it then the character of Roberts should be the biggest worry in all this. They make him out to be an (perhaps excellent) creative individual , but with little knowledge of how to make the technical parts of such a project to work and made out to be a rather poor leader/businessman on top of that, much the same criticism Richard Garriott has received lately.

I am an outsider in all this, so I have no beef either way. I'd like SC to become its potential just as much as the next sci fi gamer fan, but man.... *scratches head*

Jarhead0331

The headline of the article alone is disengenous and tells me all I need to know. Star Citizen is ready to play now.

Is it finished? Definitely not. Far from it. Are there bugs? Yup. A lot. Is it still amazing play and experience despite this? Yup.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2019, 01:54:24 AM
The headline of the article alone is disengenous and tells me all I need to know. Star Citizen is ready to play now.

Is it finished? Definitely not. Far from it. Are there bugs? Yup. A lot. Is it still amazing play and experience despite this? Yup.

Well that's not really the point of the article, is it? It places questionmarks at the way Roberts and his close circle have and are running the project/studio and that it might cause catastrophic failure.

I am not talking about the part about houses bought, because that's might very well be sensationalist press talking. But other pieces sound plausible or have been established as fact (many ship models being sold but are stillno more than concept art, or the timespan vs content delivered vs vision vs time realistically remaining are notable examples).

But I'd like to add that nowhere is mentioned anything about people's own responsibility: the suckers who put in thousands of dollars and are now crying foul? What about owning your responsibility? Shouldn't those people have put in money proportionately to what was there and upgrade as we went along?
Not my opinion per say, but I feel it should be discussed in light of everything else SC, which it isnt.

Anyway I am going to have some fun (hopefully) with the free fly week.

Jarhead0331

What do you mean, "it's not the point of the article"?   By placing question marks  at the way Roberts is running the project and that it might cause a catastrophic failure, it makes the claim, in the headline, that in its present state, it is not ready to play. I strongly disagree with this.

A more accurate title and claim would be, " a game that may never be finished."
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2019, 02:20:26 AM
A more accurate title and claim would be, " a game that may never be finished."

Yeah that definitely sounds better.

Anyway, as a very interested bystander myself, I'm probably going to buy in at the basic level sooner rather than later.  It's too big a draw - if they achieve their ambitions, Star Citizen will be pretty much my holy grail of gaming.

But I won't spend another penny beyond that $45 until there's more to show for it.  Not a single system finished out of 100 planned...damn!

Jarhead0331

Yes. Not a single system finished out of 100 planned certainly sounds sensational. But look more closely at the system that is presently in game and what you can do with it. It's already extremely impressive in my opinion. With multiple planets and moons...that you can explore...on foot...there is already a lifetime of gaming, technically speaking. It's quite an accomplishment.

I feel what Star Citizen has already done, has never been done before and acknowledging this seems to always get lost in the juicy story over the amount of money that has been raised, the cost of certain ships, and the status of the game as it stands on the roadmap. The development and creative teams deserve a lot of credit that they never seem to get.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2019, 03:04:13 AM
Yes. Not a single system finished out of 100 planned certainly sounds sensational. But look more closely at the system that is presently in game and what you can do with it. It's already extremely impressive in my opinion. With multiple planets and moons...that you can explore...on foot...there is already a lifetime of gaming, technically speaking. It's quite an accomplishment.

Absolutely, and that's the only reason I'd even put down $45.

QuoteI feel what Star Citizen has already done, has never been done before and acknowledging this seems to always get lost in the juicy story over the amount of money that has been raised, the cost of certain ships, and the status of the game as it stands on the roadmap. The development and creative teams deserve a lot of credit that they never seem to get.

Fair point.  It does look extremely impressive.  Especially to someone like me - I could probably have fun just walking about my spaceship all day and looking out the windows!

Jarhead0331

For me it's usually a very cool and enjoyable experience, but there are a lot of bugs...so be prepared for glitches, crashes, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 02, 2019, 03:04:13 AM

I feel what Star Citizen has already done, has never been done before and acknowledging this seems to always get lost in the juicy story over the amount of money that has been raised, the cost of certain ships, and the status of the game as it stands on the roadmap. The development and creative teams deserve a lot of credit that they never seem to get.

I think it should be a fair question to ask whether another development team could or should have done more with the money that was raised.
If the answer is yes then there might be mismanagement as mentioned in the article.

Jarhead0331

I'm not saying it's not a fair question.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

I guess what disturbs me the most upon reflection is that we have a 27 page thread here on this game and other than myself, there are very few people posting actual game related content. The thread remains dormant until either a new PTU version is released and I post about it, or a new sensational article is published that makes all sorts of unproven claims about mismanagement, fraud, embezzlement, blackmail, and all sorts of other financial crimes at Cloud Imperium Games and that as a result, the game "may never be ready to play", and someone else posts about it. Then the usual debate ensues...

This is a game that would have broad appeal to a lot of the usual crew around here, but because of all the negative publicity and allegations, few have given it a chance.

The bugs in the present build can absolutely be frustrating to the experience. The other day, I traveled nearly 47,000,000 light years...it took me nearly 30 minutes to get to my destination and then right as I was about to land...CTD.  Boy was I pissed. I haven't played since. But the overall experience, when it is working, is entirely ground-breaking and revolutionary. It is absolutely playable, absolutely enjoyable and absolutely inspiring in its present state, bugs, glitches, issues and all and it only gets better with each quarterly build.

Clearly there are people who agree with me. There are over 1,000,000 active accounts and I believe more than twice that many backers.

In any event, as already posted, its going to be free to fly this weekend, so now is your chance to give it a shot and see if its worth getting a starter ship package for $45. I really do wish more guys around here would play. I have large vessels that are in need of a reliable crew. I'm accepting applications. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog