Detailed Militaries in Space 4X Games

Started by Great Ajax, July 02, 2013, 09:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 04, 2013, 12:53:21 AM
I guess those of you playing MOO3 are playing the download version?  I have the boxed copy and I can't get it to work in Windows 7.

Another advantage for DRM-free software. 

I've had regular issues with old disc-check DRM and newer OSes not working together, and this sounds like another case of just that.

GDS_Starfury

not that it was a good game but didnt Battlecruiser 3000 have a ground component to it?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 04, 2013, 09:41:02 AM
not that it was a good game but didnt Battlecruiser 3000 have a ground component to it?

It did, yes, but you're correct to say it wasn't a good game.  Bloody awful, in fact. :)

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 02, 2013, 10:03:20 AM

This is one of the reasons why I have always stated that MOO3, properly patched and modded, is one of the greatest 4x games of all time.   
Agree 100%. I still play MOO3. As a matter of fact, I'll re-load it now. Unfortunately, some of the critical code patches, done by Bhruic, are no longer available via his site, which is down. Some of his work WAS included in the Strawberry and Chocolate and Vanilla mods, which are very good indeed. I would like to get the Chocolate mod, but cannot seem to find a good link.

Helpful links:

http://www.moo3.at/
http://members.chello.nl/gbrinkers/codemods.html
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

mikeck

Having never plays Moo3, it seems to be a very deep and complex game. I can see bits and pieces that were adopted by later game I have played. Graphics are ....utilitarian. But hey, I play Aurora and Distant worlds so there.

I tried again to get into Endless space but it simply isn't deep enough for me. I like DW but want a little more detail in my fleets and fighting. I think Moo3 might scratch the itch
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Huw the Poo

MOO3 installed readily enough, but here's what happens when I try to play it: I click the launcher, the cursor becomes a spinning disc, and my disc drives thrashes like fuck for five minutes.  Then nothing.

mikeck

Are u using a digital download version or originals from disc?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Huw the Poo

bbmike

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 04, 2013, 02:44:31 PM
MOO3 installed readily enough, but here's what happens when I try to play it: I click the launcher, the cursor becomes a spinning disc, and my disc drives thrashes like fuck for five minutes.  Then nothing.

Try running in XP compatibility mode and running as administrator. It takes forever for it to launch for me. Also, don't click on anything once you launch it - just let it run.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

solops

And NEVER install an XP game in the default directory. Always create a custom "GamesXP" Directory or somesuch and install the game into its own subdirectory there. This solves a host of problems. I have never had an XP game fail to run in Win7-64 bit. Sometimes additional jiggering with the GPU/motherboard graphics is also necessary.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

mikeck

Truthfully, an easier solution is go buy the digital version at "good old games" GOG.com

I think it's like $2.99 or something. That version definitely works on windows 7 64 bit and you don't have to worry about installing here or running as an admin there or whatever.

vyshka

Has anyone ever tried the multiplayer? I think I remember playing for a couple of hours with a friend when it first came out, but never really since then.

Huw the Poo

Well I already have it installed so I'll give the above tips a try first.  Thanks guys.

Anguille

I switched to the GOG edition a long time ago....so much easier...still have the discs as souvenir.... 8)

Huw the Poo

Quote from: bbmike on July 04, 2013, 04:23:27 PM
Try running in XP compatibility mode and running as administrator. It takes forever for it to launch for me. Also, don't click on anything once you launch it - just let it run.

This worked!  Thanks, bbmike.  Now I just need to get the mods installed and figure out how to run it in a proper resolution. :)