Armored Brigade II Announced from Matrix - 3D

Started by Grim.Reaper, September 12, 2023, 05:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Announced today, version II but in 3D...

Destraex

Please say this is multiplayer this time around?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on September 12, 2023, 05:52:24 PMPlease say this is multiplayer this time around?

I suspect not as they described it as the following, if something big like that would think it would be mentioned.

"Set against the tense backdrop of the Cold War, "Armored Brigade II" offers a plethora of enhancements and innovative features in comparison to its predecessor. The game shifts from a 2D to a more immersive 3D environment. Furthermore, it introduces a refined waypoint editor system, major improvements to the spotting sharing system, enhanced infantry mechanics, expanded fire and air support options, and many more novelties."

Destraex

Thx grim.I got armored brigade 1 and it sits in my library because it's single player, barely touched. I just tend to spend my time on multiplayer games of the same ilk. A real shame because the deeper the game the more interested I am.
WARNO will have to suffice for my cold war wargaming in 3D.

SirAndrewD

I love Armored Brigade precisely because it is single player.  Plenty of good multiplayer options out there.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ArizonaTank

Happy to hear this, but just hope they don't screw it up. I hope they keep the same level of editors available for users.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Destraex

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 12, 2023, 07:21:15 PMI love Armored Brigade precisely because it is single player.  Plenty of good multiplayer options out there.
I don't see why a game cannot be both. Because there the multiplayer wargames (RTS/Operational/tactical etc) are well outnumbered by the single player only games I would say. A game does not have to be balanced and competitive for each side to be multiplayer, it just has to have the option for two people to play.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Destraex on September 12, 2023, 09:34:01 PMI don't see why a game cannot be both. Because there the multiplayer wargames (RTS/Operational/tactical etc) are well outnumbered by the single player only games I would say. A game does not have to be balanced and competitive for each side to be multiplayer, it just has to have the option for two people to play.

I'm fine with it being both.

I just like that Armored Brigade does consider SP content and prioritizes it.

Eugen games, the main competitor to games like AB, in my opinion consider Single Player to be a secondary consideration.

Destraex

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 12, 2023, 09:42:59 PM
Quote from: Destraex on September 12, 2023, 09:34:01 PMI don't see why a game cannot be both. Because there the multiplayer wargames (RTS/Operational/tactical etc) are well outnumbered by the single player only games I would say. A game does not have to be balanced and competitive for each side to be multiplayer, it just has to have the option for two people to play.

I'm fine with it being both.

I just like that Armored Brigade does consider SP content and prioritizes it.

Eugen games, the main competitor to games like AB, in my opinion consider Single Player to be a secondary consideration.
When it comes to AB. I just don't see how it could hurt it to have multiplayer. All it would be is the game as it stands with a multiplayer option. Not like Eugen games where balance for multiplayer is a major concern.
I think AB is more like combat mission or close combat on a larger scale, they both lend themselves to multiplayer without needing special attention for it.
You don't need a game to be multiplayer focussed for it to have multiplayer tacked on for those that want to enjoy other peoples company while giving vast numbers of hours that a deep game like AB takes.

Jarhead0331

Not sure if 3D is the way to go for this series.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 12, 2023, 09:58:29 PMNot sure if 3D is the way to go for this series.

On the one hand I agree, but on the other hand if this ends up being a worthy competitor to Combat Mission I'll be very happy.

But I can't help being reminded of Panzer Command: Ostfront which was another CM clone that arrived dead in the water.

As my sig might suggest, I do wish they would pick a more interesting setting (IMO) than hypothetical Cold War matchups...
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Father Ted

There's the technical aspect to it as well I would say.  Decent real-time MP must require a fair amount of coding infrastructure, as does creating decent AI opponent(s).  Independent devs seem to be only able put their resources into one or the other.

That said, I'm happy to play wargames of whatever genre in SP, but FPSs and combat flightsims are now solely MP for me.

And, on topic, I do like the look of this.

Redwolf

Looks Combat Mission alike.

Too bad the video has no UI elements so that you can't actually tell what kind of game this will be.