1st World Board Gaming Problems...

Started by Bison, July 13, 2015, 10:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

I love their stuff and the Greene & Greene style of the Sultan would actually go very well with the rest of our Arts & Crafts style furniture. Unfortunately, two kids in college who have a car that I think is going to need a new transmission means probably not any time soon...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

LongBlade

Quote from: GJK on July 15, 2015, 10:31:29 PM

That's an awesome looking table and some very fine craftsmanship but as I mentioned in another thread somewhere on the innerwebs that was talking about the same model, it would drive me crazy that I couldn't slide my chair up underneath it so I would pass on this one personally (not to mention the $10k being a bit of a stepping stone as well :) )

Not sure what you mean by that. Those tables can be designed to stand as high as four feet. When you plunk down the down payment they have a valet contact you several times to go over specifications, to vet your purchase to make sure you're not buying the most expensive table, but the correct one for your needs. Certainly the small requirement of being able to slide a chair underneath wouldn't be a problem. While they charge a hefty price for customization, IIRC table height up to four feet is gratis.

Lastly, there are a number of tables there for far less than $10k - depending on size, customization, et al.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: panzerde on July 15, 2015, 10:38:23 PM
I love their stuff and the Greene & Greene style of the Sultan would actually go very well with the rest of our Arts & Crafts style furniture. Unfortunately, two kids in college who have a car that I think is going to need a new transmission means probably not any time soon...

About time those kids learned the value of physical exercise by walking places, doncha think?  ;D

GJK

Quote from: LongBlade on July 15, 2015, 11:07:22 PM
Not sure what you mean by that. Those tables can be designed to stand as high as four feet. When you plunk down the down payment they have a valet contact you several times to go over specifications, to vet your purchase to make sure you're not buying the most expensive table, but the correct one for your needs. Certainly the small requirement of being able to slide a chair underneath wouldn't be a problem. While they charge a hefty price for customization, IIRC table height up to four feet is gratis.

Lastly, there are a number of tables there for far less than $10k - depending on size, customization, et al.

You don't see a problem sliding a chair in under this table?  I think that I'd specify that those bottom rails not be included....

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Toonces

I was thinking the same thing.  I'd want to be able to slide my chair beneath.  Maybe most hardcore gamers spend most of their time standing?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GJK

Quote from: Toonces on July 16, 2015, 08:18:26 AM
I was thinking the same thing.  I'd want to be able to slide my chair beneath.  Maybe most hardcore gamers spend most of their time standing?

Not this old man!   8)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

I think it's supposed to be a foot rail. Your chair/lap would go under the table surface enough to work comfortably at the table.
I think they picture using a bar stool as a chair. That's how I'm building my table. I've got 27" bar stools and the table surface is high enough to work at standing or sitting.

BanzaiCat

I think Barth is right. At least, that's what I've seen of the TableTop vids; Wil has everyone on stools at the table. I didn't think twice about it until reading these posts.

Barthheart

These are like the stools I'm using. The seat swivels.

panzerde

Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 16, 2015, 12:53:16 AM
Quote from: panzerde on July 15, 2015, 10:38:23 PM

About time those kids learned the value of physical exercise by walking places, doncha think?  ;D

See, this is exactly what I tell my wife. I mean, Indianapolis to Bloomington isn't that far. With a good pack they could do the trip in a couple of days.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Bison

We use a stool, spare dinning table chair, and my old computer desk chair.

I think I'd just go with stools if I cared enough about having matching seats.

Barthheart

Some shots of my incomplete new table... works slows in the summer.... and as I want to play games on it!  :D

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on July 16, 2015, 06:40:43 PMworks slows in the summer....

so that leaves you 51 other weeks up there to finish it!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers