Legends of Eisenwald

Started by Gusington, May 18, 2012, 12:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Anyone hear of this upcoming 'Gothic Medieval strategy game'?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1684781151/legends-of-eisenwald/posts/219538

Another Kickstarter project, this one has already met and surpassed it's monetary goal.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tpek

I'm a backer. It looks interesting though it still stands to see how it would turn up.

Huw the Poo

Sounds great.  I'd like to get a look at it though.

Gusington

Me too. In a quick glance at the page I did not see if a demo will be released...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

It does look interesting.  I'll have to keep an eye on this one.  Whats the rep of the people making it?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Svend Karlson

I'm about ready for a new Kings Bounty, after having completed Armored Princess late 2010 (I think, fuzzy memory). So to this, yes.

FarAway Sooner

Any updates on this one?  I see the beta for sale on Steam and, while I'm not eager to pay for beta access to a game from a small Russian shop releasing its second game ever, I am intrigued by what the game might offer?

There are some interesting details on the combat and unit customization at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1684781151/legends-of-eisenwald/posts/219538.

Gusington

Holy thread necrology! Totally forgot about this...but haven't heard anything new either.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I checked the Steam forums and it's still in alpha/beta.  It's pretty unfinished...this is a wait and see for me even though it sounds very much like a game I'd enjoy.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Yeah totally wait and see for me too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I bought it on sale a while back. The graphics are very nice, and I like the setting; the gameplay is very much King's Bounty (except with the player character on the field), but even more restricted, and last time I played I still couldn't figure out how to move my troops without attacking someone in melee.

I'm kind of sorry I paid for it, but perhaps one day it will get better. I recommend avoiding until that day comes. Put your money in Kerbal or Xenonauts if you must buy a beta. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

tgb

I picked this up yesterday, and while it is still a Beta, and has some polish issues to address, it seems like a solid title, especially for the price. Right now I'm still early into the prologue (tutorial), but you control small parties (12 units, maximum) in the countryside of what appears to be medieval Germany.

The Darklands comparison comes from the fact that the game is very much low fantasy (nor Orcs or Elves - so far) and the only race is Human.  Magic, per se, is a function of the Church, and comes in the form of prayers made by support units (Healers, Priests, and Bishops).  The resource used for these prayers is Faith.

Movement across the map is pausable real-time (the game pauses when you reach the end of your movement trail, or you can pause it beforehand with the space bar).  Combat is turn based, with your party arranged in 3 rows, which you can prepare in advance (although the tutorial strongly recommends melee in front, archers in the middle, and support in the rear, some support units have offensive prayers that only work on an adjacent hex, and they can't be moved once combat starts).  It appears that melee units are the only ones that can be repositioned once combat starts, but I don't know if that's a bug, WAD, or just not implemented yet since there's no manual.

You can increase the number of allowable units in a party by capturing castles, but since I haven't done that yet I don't know if you can have multiple parties.  Likewise, while units gain experience after each battle and can be upgraded via a tree very similar to the one in Disciples II, I don't know if castles can be upgraded.

The game right now has one campaign and one stand-alone scenario.  I have no idea how much of the final content that represents. There's some placeholder text, and some combat animations are missing or out of sync, and the game has the usual misspellings and grammatical errors that Russian developers seem to specialize in.

$19.99 on Steam, but GMG has it for $5 less at the moment.  Apply code EEKC1D-QFTUVG-M8G5ZN and it drops to $12.  Definitely worth it at that price.

Barthheart

Would really love a redo of Darklands and this sounds close. Might have to give it a go for those prices.
Thanks for posting. O0

Gusington

Thanks for posting the above tgb...is the current version a beta?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd