I would've expected Battlefront, but.....

Started by Tuna, August 10, 2013, 05:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuna

I upgraded my CPU today.. flashed my bios and threw it in there.. no problem.. Windows didn't ask me to reactivate, which made me happy.

But I heard all these stories about Battle Front needing reactivating, when you make Hardware change. But I was able to start a couple times.. no problem to do turns with Con  (CMBN). So maybe, not activation needed. Was worried, I was going to have to use one of my limited ones up. I might check Shock Force out later, but really haven't played that game in a long time.

When I went to play Iron Front on SIMHQ this afternoon.. Then I got the you need to activate this game message, and I guess it was the DDay dlc only. I went on to GamersGate, got my key and it went through ok.

While playing on SimHQ guys told me, I might have the same issue with DCS World.. Are there many other games out there that get pissed off if you make a Hardware Change? I know I don't have to worry about Scourge of War since they went to Matrix.

Nefaro

The ones with limited online activations are the culprits, although I don't think all of them check the processor model but instead the motherboard and maybe the hard drive.

Unfortunately, the second thing to most often die on a computer and need replacing is the motherboard.  Often in tandem with a dead power supply (the likeliest to die & possibly take the motherboard with it). 

Of all the computers I've fixed over the years, I've never seen a processor "go bad".  I suppose some of the activation DRM schemes don't bother checking the processor since there are fewer processor models than other hardware (the same model being more common between different computers).

GJK

1. Harddrives- most often
2. Power supplies- frequently
3. Motherboards- rarely but happens
4. CPU chips- very rarely

And it sucks that programs/games rely on DRM schemes that rely on the above configurations to always be the same each time that they are installed. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Tuna

Quote from: GJK on August 11, 2013, 07:39:25 AM
1. Harddrives- most often
2. Power supplies- frequently
3. Motherboards- rarely but happens
4. CPU chips- very rarely

And it sucks that programs/games rely on DRM schemes that rely on the above configurations to always be the same each time that they are installed.

Yeah, I'd definitely say 1 and 2 are the things I've had to replace on mine and my kids computers. The latter two I replace, because I'm upgrading.

I think if they have to do activation, do it one time and be done with it. It still sucks in general, because you're up a creek if the company goes under! A lot of us Grogs love to revisit old games.

Tuna

Well... I guess I spoke too soon.. Just tried to fire up CM to return a turn with Con.. and I get a dialog box says "License Error"
There was an error with your license. Please contact your vendor for assistance.

:-[

You'd think there would be a button for activation, but it just say Quit..

Darkspire

I will not touch a game with DRM, only had one game, Mass Effect and that I took back to the shop with it still in the packaging as I went online to check for updates and found out it was cursed, there was no mention on the box so the shop gave in and refunded. This is why I would never think about Steam or any other DRM, I am  upgrading on average about once or twice a year, if its a major overhaul then its a new case and innards, which I do on average every few years. I still have one that runs 98 on a PIII 1000, this one is currently XP on a dual core, I will just put this on the network and build a new one with Win 7 on for X-Rebirth. I love to play my older games, If I have not got the machine any more I have an emulator on the best machine. DRM is the worst invention going, makes the suits rich and the gamers unhappy and left feeling very ripped off, unfortunately with things like Steam being so popular because of the plug and play generation who do not like to do anything more than a click to get a game running it will never get better only worse. Personally I think those sorts of folks should stick with consoles, makes true PC gamers life a nightmare. And yes I do realize it is also because of the P word but that is another very volatile subject.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.

DoctorQuest

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Grim.Reaper

Although I don't like DRM (especially ones tied to machine configuration) either, its certainly here to stay at least in the near term....I wish I had the control to only purchase non-DRM games, but too many games I enjoy has it and I am not strong enough to stay away from them:)  To be honest, I really haven't had a single issue with DRM yet, but that is not to say I won't at some time in the future.

I think it doesn't impact me as much is because the lifespan of playing games I purchase is fairly short......not many games that I buy I revisit beyond a year (there are exceptions).

Darkspire

The one that seems to come up often with DRM is the limited installs, why should I pay 35 for a game and only have three installs?, if I wipe the OS and have to reinstall, which I do at least two to three times a year due to hardware changes and I also enjoy putting the OS and all the drivers on and bits, I'm a geek shoot me  :), the one for Mass Effect had a special patch released that reset the install count, that's how I found out it was cursed. I paid 30 for Morrowind and I can still install that without problems, I do admit there are quite a few games I would like to have but the DRM issue just stops me from buying them, like Spore, I would love to have a play with that and all the addons, its not the game that Will Wright presented to the world but it is close, fortunately in the current age Indie development seems to be making a return, if a game is that good then it starts to spawn clones which sometimes are as good if not better, I will buy one of those without all the DRM issues or limited installs from the little guy.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.

Tuna

Anyone know how to 'reactivate'? .. I saw nothing in the program group except something that said manual activation, but when I launched that, it failed to launch the web site it was trying to launch.. I thought they had something where you can reactivate after a hardware change? Or does it require a ticket with their helpdesk? I only installed it on my gaming PC, so should have plenty of activations left.. lol.. or at least 2... I really don't want to uninstall and reinstall if possible!

Darkspire

Quote from: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 06:52:57 PM
Anyone know how to 'reactivate'? .. I saw nothing in the program group except something that said manual activation, but when I launched that, it failed to launch the web site it was trying to launch.. I thought they had something where you can reactivate after a hardware change? Or does it require a ticket with their helpdesk? I only installed it on my gaming PC, so should have plenty of activations left.. lol.. or at least 2... I really don't want to uninstall and reinstall if possible!

http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=188

That might help.

Darkspire

Tuna

Quote from: Darkspire on August 17, 2013, 07:00:27 PM
Quote from: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 06:52:57 PM

http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=188

That might help.

Darkspire

thanks!

LOL.. I love the first sentance

"Our new Online Activation System helps us restrict illegal distribution of our intellectual property without being annoying or intrusive to the legitimate customer. "

Tuna

Ugh.. I don't have the section they mention... just "Quit"... I'm really pissed if I have to uninstall and reinstall, just to get to the activation section!

Con

Tuna and I are locked in a true epic marathon of CMBN.  I say marathon because its a huge wide open map with the objective on a hill/ridge in the center.  We have spent 20 (I think) turns running towards our goal and still no contact.

I think our troops are going to have heart attacks before the bullets have a chance to cut them down (too much sausage for my guys)

Con

Darkspire

To be honest gaming on the PC can be a real nightmare, the game generally runs fine but from what I have read you either have all the hassle of DRM, like you have or you have all the hassle of an illegitimate copy, seems you can not win either way unless you just buy non DRM games, real shame really. DRM and DLC are just a big money printing machine , back in the day companies released patches to games that fixed problems and added more content for free purely to garner favor so that they would have a good fanbase that brought the next game down the line, good old days.

Darkspire